“Ok for short stay”

Royal National Hotel
Ranked #876 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights recently and whilst this isn't the best hotel I have stayed in, it's by no means the worst. The room was little ragged around the edges but clean and comfortable. It was very warm when we went in but once we turned the radiator off (top and bottom) it was fine. Breakfast was ok but could have been a bit more choice on English breakfast such as mushrooms. Very canteen style but you get what you pay for, don't you. Tube station close by and several restaurnts and pubs in the area, no need to head into central london. Walkable from Covent garden.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank janeywaneyHull

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights prior to starting a Contiki Tour with a friend in a twin single room. Checked in close to midnight and there were plenty of staff in reception to check us in and answer our questions.

Stayed in room 267, which overlooked other hotel windows. The room was spacey enough to fit our luggages and the beds were positioned well enough to have some privacy. Beds were comfortable to sleep in. Bathroom was reasonably sized with toilet, shower and vanity. Power points in the room are in inconvenient places and you couldn't have your phone/devices charging next to you.

Location of the hotel is close to Russell Square station, about a 3-5 minute walk.

Our booking didn't include breakfast but there's cafes along the street that had some good value breakfast options.

They have a luggage storage for 50p which is locked when it isn't supervised.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We arrived at 10 o'clock, so we put our luggage in the luggage room. I took some money and put the rest back in the bag. When we got our luggage at 2 o'clock and checked in, the money (and the enveloppe) was completely gone when we settled in our room. We checked our luggage 3 times before going to the reception to complain about this. The reception and the concierge were of no help whatsoever, they just kept on saying "it isn't possible anything got stolen from the luggage room, since they knew the "guards" personally", so it had to be our own fault. Obviously, we were very upset about being waved away like that. Eventually, we filed a complaint against the hotel, but we aren't expecting any response since there is no way of proving the money got stolen whilst being in the luggage room with that poor excuse of a guard...

I don't recommend anyone to stay in this hotel!

Room Tip: just don't...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank dejean16
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Location of this hotel is very good, underground station 3 min walking, and 1min walking from bus station - which is very big advantage. It is very easy to reach the Center. It is very simple hotel, no high society place, but excellent for the groups or people who spend all day out discovering London. Rooms simple, not so small, it was corectly cleaned.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank DEBORAH S
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This hotel was only a stop gap for us for one night but it was such a disappointment. On first impressions the hotel appeared to be quite nice however, the room we stayed in was very pokey and the bed was extremely uncomfortable. I would never recommend this hotel unless it was a last resort. I have had better nights at a £19 p/n Premier Inn.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Anise07
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I usually stay with friends/family just outside of London but when I was expected to be on a coach by 5am I decided to get a hotel for the night before.

Room and service-wise, it's nothing special. I was in a room with another girl I didn't know but I decided to talk to her and we ended up getting supper. The two-bed rooms are quite cramped and god help you if you have multiple suitcases. We also couldn't figure out how to turn the lights off. They've got a TV with some pretty good channels which is nice.

The hotel is in a great location. I've taken buses, the tube, and walked to get there. It's really close to the British Museum and there's a lot of little restaurants. Covent Garden is very close by too.

There's a nice bar in the courtyard that is quite spacious and has tables outside as well. Most of the people staying here are quite young so expect noise. But given the price, I would have no issue staying here again if it was just for a short period of time.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank Drdarkknight
Reviewed February 1, 2013

This Hotel was a massive dissapointment, when entering reception the hotel seemed nice and clean but by the time we got on to the 3rd floor where we were staying you could notice stains on the carpet. When we entered our rooms there was poo in the toilet and stains on the bathroom floor. Also the bedroom was absolutely boiling with uncontrolable heating from the radiator and even when the window was opened it was still boiling. We was staying for 2 nights and 3 days at this hotel in a college group of about 70 and about half of the group complained about being bitten, I was bitten a multiple of times including once on my eyelid which was very sore. On the first night I went to have a shower and it was very slippy and I ended up falling as there was no bath mat of hand rail, I would say this hotels bedrooms are in desperate need for refurbishment. Also whilst staying here me and my roomate both had money stolen which we can not account for. Lastly the breakfast was awful and is a big no no if you are staying here, overall this hotel was an unpleasent experience and I would not consider returning.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business