“Watch your money” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #856 of 1,070 Hotels in London
Turnhout, Belgium
“Watch your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We arrived at 10 o'clock, so we put our luggage in the luggage room. I took some money and put the rest back in the bag. When we got our luggage at 2 o'clock and checked in, the money (and the enveloppe) was completely gone when we settled in our room. We checked our luggage 3 times before going to the reception to complain about this. The reception and the concierge were of no help whatsoever, they just kept on saying "it isn't possible anything got stolen from the luggage room, since they knew the "guards" personally", so it had to be our own fault. Obviously, we were very upset about being waved away like that. Eventually, we filed a complaint against the hotel, but we aren't expecting any response since there is no way of proving the money got stolen whilst being in the luggage room with that poor excuse of a guard...

I don't recommend anyone to stay in this hotel!

Room Tip: just don't...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank dejean16

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Location of this hotel is very good, underground station 3 min walking, and 1min walking from bus station - which is very big advantage. It is very easy to reach the Center. It is very simple hotel, no high society place, but excellent for the groups or people who spend all day out discovering London. Rooms simple, not so small, it was corectly cleaned.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DEBORAH S
United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This hotel was only a stop gap for us for one night but it was such a disappointment. On first impressions the hotel appeared to be quite nice however, the room we stayed in was very pokey and the bed was extremely uncomfortable. I would never recommend this hotel unless it was a last resort. I have had better nights at a £19 p/n Premier Inn.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anise07

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I usually stay with friends/family just outside of London but when I was expected to be on a coach by 5am I decided to get a hotel for the night before.

Room and service-wise, it's nothing special. I was in a room with another girl I didn't know but I decided to talk to her and we ended up getting supper. The two-bed rooms are quite cramped and god help you if you have multiple suitcases. We also couldn't figure out how to turn the lights off. They've got a TV with some pretty good channels which is nice.

The hotel is in a great location. I've taken buses, the tube, and walked to get there. It's really close to the British Museum and there's a lot of little restaurants. Covent Garden is very close by too.

There's a nice bar in the courtyard that is quite spacious and has tables outside as well. Most of the people staying here are quite young so expect noise. But given the price, I would have no issue staying here again if it was just for a short period of time.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
3 Thank Drdarkknight
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

This Hotel was a massive dissapointment, when entering reception the hotel seemed nice and clean but by the time we got on to the 3rd floor where we were staying you could notice stains on the carpet. When we entered our rooms there was poo in the toilet and stains on the bathroom floor. Also the bedroom was absolutely boiling with uncontrolable heating from the radiator and even when the window was opened it was still boiling. We was staying for 2 nights and 3 days at this hotel in a college group of about 70 and about half of the group complained about being bitten, I was bitten a multiple of times including once on my eyelid which was very sore. On the first night I went to have a shower and it was very slippy and I ended up falling as there was no bath mat of hand rail, I would say this hotels bedrooms are in desperate need for refurbishment. Also whilst staying here me and my roomate both had money stolen which we can not account for. Lastly the breakfast was awful and is a big no no if you are staying here, overall this hotel was an unpleasent experience and I would not consider returning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Melody M
Scarisbrick, Southport, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Massive hotel fairly close to Russell Square underground station has economy in its favour, we only paid £60 per night B&B which for London is very cheap.

We were told it was twin beds but when we asked, we were given a double bed which was appreciated.

Fairly basic room and bathroom was clean enough. Old style TV but it worked OK.

The room in the middle of January was roasting hot, even with the window open 24hours a day, outside temperature was -1.

Our room overlooked the courtyard which was fairly quiet and we had little road noise. The one thing that lost it an extra star was at around 6am, somebody decided to move tables and chairs around on a linoleum floor, when I say move, it was a screeching, dragging noise that we heard, this was a ridiculous time of the day to start to shift furniture, I can only assume it was a cleaning room or staff rest room somewhere, I went into the corridor to investigate but it must have been coming from the floor about.

Don't get me wrong, for the money, I would stay here again.

Don't expect gourmet breakfast, it is toast, bread rolls with butter and jam. Juice, tea, coffee and a choice of 3 cereals. A cooked breakfast is available for £5 extra. The dining room was reminiscent of a school dining hall being very noisy.

One bonus is that the tour buses stop right outside the door and the hotel is central enough for most people's needs.

Wifi is available by going to reception and picking up a slip of paper with the wifi details on it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard if you want less traffic noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SunshineSoozy
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

whilst staying here at the royal national hotel with my college group for two nights, 3 days i had high expectations as the hotel looked very good on the website. Arriving at the hotel the rooms were discusting! there was hair in the plug holes in the bathroom, the shower broke there was a peice of a sandwhich underneath the bed, and 2 of my friends had money missing from their bags. Not to mention several other group members becoming itchy and having rashes from the duvet covers, which also had holes in them. Running the bath for my self i was horrified to discover the bath water being dirty and green coloured, The toilet also blocked up! this was a terrible experience and i never want to return to this accommodation ever again as the staff members were unfriendly!!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends