“Almost a 3*”

Royal National Hotel
Ranked #875 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Massive hotel fairly close to Russell Square underground station has economy in its favour, we only paid £60 per night B&B which for London is very cheap.

We were told it was twin beds but when we asked, we were given a double bed which was appreciated.

Fairly basic room and bathroom was clean enough. Old style TV but it worked OK.

The room in the middle of January was roasting hot, even with the window open 24hours a day, outside temperature was -1.

Our room overlooked the courtyard which was fairly quiet and we had little road noise. The one thing that lost it an extra star was at around 6am, somebody decided to move tables and chairs around on a linoleum floor, when I say move, it was a screeching, dragging noise that we heard, this was a ridiculous time of the day to start to shift furniture, I can only assume it was a cleaning room or staff rest room somewhere, I went into the corridor to investigate but it must have been coming from the floor about.

Don't get me wrong, for the money, I would stay here again.

Don't expect gourmet breakfast, it is toast, bread rolls with butter and jam. Juice, tea, coffee and a choice of 3 cereals. A cooked breakfast is available for £5 extra. The dining room was reminiscent of a school dining hall being very noisy.

One bonus is that the tour buses stop right outside the door and the hotel is central enough for most people's needs.

Wifi is available by going to reception and picking up a slip of paper with the wifi details on it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard if you want less traffic noise.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SunshineSoozy
There are newer reviews for Royal National Hotel

Reviewed January 31, 2013

whilst staying here at the royal national hotel with my college group for two nights, 3 days i had high expectations as the hotel looked very good on the website. Arriving at the hotel the rooms were discusting! there was hair in the plug holes in the bathroom, the shower broke there was a peice of a sandwhich underneath the bed, and 2 of my friends had money missing from their bags. Not to mention several other group members becoming itchy and having rashes from the duvet covers, which also had holes in them. Running the bath for my self i was horrified to discover the bath water being dirty and green coloured, The toilet also blocked up! this was a terrible experience and i never want to return to this accommodation ever again as the staff members were unfriendly!!!!!

4  Thank Lucy M
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have recently returned from staying at this hotel, the hotel is in an excellent location the center of everything. There are local shops, restaurants, cafe's and even the underground station. The hotel staff are very polite and welcoming, the cleaners are always smiling and happy towards the guests in the hotel.

The rooms are standard, what you would expect however the beds are perfect. Best nights sleep ever whilst staying in a hotel. The room was quite large, however this was a triple room we had a marble bathroom with a shower & bath, three single beds, a table & mirror, wardrobe and a standard set of drawers and TV.

We went in a group of 70 with college, the hotel clearly run their hotel strictly to ensure other customers get a good nights sleep as security kept checking the halls to ensure our large group was not disturbing other guests.

Advantages:

- Good location.
- Good facilities.
- Large hotel.
- 5 minute walk from shops etc.
- Good appliances.
- Very comfy beds.
- Pleasant staff.

Disadvantages:

- Shower did not work & no-one would come to fix it.
- Rooms a bit old and need repairing.
- Can NOT control heating in some rooms.
- Traffic is quite loud.
- Breakfast is a no no.

Overall i would say this hotel is quite a standard and well cleaned accommodation.
Worth the money which you pay and i would probably stay there again.

Room Tip: There is a re-furbished side of the hotel and a side which has not yet been re-furbished.
3  Thank Ryan M
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I've been there with my mom because of British Airways trip to London, when i lived in different country yet. I remember that hotel was clean and rooms were comfortable, sheets and beds clean. I can't say that something was wrong. Location was good (Russell Square metro station), breakfast very good and hotels' staff very helpful. It was very good to stay there.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Staff members were very unfriendly and not helpful at all.. Breakfast is terrible here, the selection was scarce at best.. No wi fi connection as well.. Plain and simple, it just wasn't worth what we paid for it

1  Thank Diogo_Guerra
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I went to the hotel for a college visit to London, and to make sure that I didn't get charged for damages that I hadn't done, I decided to look around and make a list of the faults. The room had a broken bathroom door lock, graffiti on the wall, burn marks on the seat and a broken hair dryer. Then in the morning to my despair I was awoken by a cleaning attendant just letting themselves into room without knocking at 7:30am. The staff down in the Reception were very helpful though and the hotel is situated very close to a tube station and a shop.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Ema D
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Emmmm where to start... There seems to be plenty of staff" hanging around" but helpfulness is not something they get paid for... i felt bad interrupting their behind the desk conversations. The rooms and hotel remind me of my days of backpacking in Europe in cheap hostels, just basic and plain.. No Internet service except in the lobby where you have to pull a piece of paper out of a cardboard box and cross your fingers the log in and password work for you or you have to keep trying different log in's....Yes we are in the 21st century but I guess this hotel sits in an Internet time warp.
Plenty of student groups who spent most of their evening running along the corridors and screaming and playing in the elevators.. How I know, I heard them from my basic, room with quite large stains on the cover.. The sheets seemed clean however I slept in my sweat pants on the bed with no cover just sheets.... Stains seem to have that effect on you... I only stayed one night and gladly left early morning after the cleaning lady kindly knocked on my door at 7:45am to ask me when I was leaving... Nice eh! So unfriendly, no nice, thank you, come again... Just a really who cares kind of attitude... I recommend paying a little extra to stay where you at least feel welcome... I work in the industry and I say a very large FAIL goes to the hotel and team for their total disregard for their customers..

Room Tip: I looked at 4 rooms and they were all the same... Ugggggg