“l toTALLY RECOMEND”

Royal National Hotel
Ranked #876 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Just back from a visit to London, stayed in The Royal National hotel. fenomenal location!
The reception was friendly and help me with all directions, the room was clean and provided with tea and coffee, strong heating, cleaning staff were also very pleasant. ONLY the restaurant was really busy AND the staf were eficient but not friendlly.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have just stayed for 4 nights in this hotel I was concerned having read reviews. We had a family room with a double bed and two single beds. The room was large, clean and although basic had all required. The shower was good and the room was cleaned daily clean towels etc. our room faced the street and once used to traffic noise it was fine. We heard no noise from other rooms or corridor. the breakfast was basic as was everything else. When we go away for a nice weekend we stay in a nice hotel however we wanted a base which this was and is excellent for getting about London with kids. The children loved london and to be honest between sight seeing and eating out we spent very little time in hotel. We had very little contact with staff reception fine and bags were looked after on last day check out when we were off to British museum. The children have allergies and soya milk was provided daily. Also found beds comfy.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Went with a party of 41. Sharing 3 to a room. The room (318) was big enough, the bathroom was clean with the essentials.

Tea and coffee provided in room.

The bedding was very poor, thin and with the room lacking heating ( no way to turn the radiator on) we felt cold most of the night. With an ill fitting window causing cold air blow through the room. Although our room smelt ok, others amongst us said their room stunk of cigeratte smoke. The bed its self was very uncomfortable and needed replacing.

The breakfast----- Free, so long as it was not cooked E.G- £4.50 for a cooked breakfast, bacon, scrambled egg, beans and sausage. The toast tasted like rubber and it was very chewy. Orange juice was very weak. Served in dirty glasses.

I would not recommened this hotel even if on a budget.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank shannon t
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The hotel's decor looks like it dates back to the 70's. The rooms are extremely basic and didn't feel very clean plus the TV and hairdryer were broken. The lack lustre reception staff rectified the cleaning issues (replaced dirty pillows for my colleague and changed my room) but not the broken TV / hairdryer so the next guest will get the pleasure of complaining too! We couldn't face the breakfast so ate out.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Just back from a visit to London, stayed in The Royal National hotel. I was a bit worried when I read the reviews before I went there but I must say the people who put on the damning reviews must be very picky. The reception staff were very efficient, the restaurant staff were friendly even although it was busy, the cleaning staff were also very pleasant. The hotel was in a great spot be able to get around. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: higher rooms are quieter
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I agree 100% with the previous review; in fact, I could have written it myself. In future, I will I avoid the Royal National like the plague.

I just spent four nights there, and found it a grubby, noisy dump-- with:
° raucous laughter echoing up from the cavernous bus depot-courtyard till past 2 a.m. every night (and starting up again at 6 am, when the first coaches full of American and Japanese tourists pull out);
° grim corridors with dirty walls and worn carpets
° wifi only available in its nasty rundown airport-like 'lobby;'
° impatient, overworked staff;
and
° a 'breakfast room' reminiscent of the worst high school cafeteria imaginable.

Can I think of anything positive to say about the place? At least the lifts worked properly.

Next time, I'll choose one of the small, reasonably-priced, family-run B & Bs in Bloomsbury.

Room Tip: AWAY from the courtyard!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Recently spent 8 nights at the Royal National Hotel.

The staff at registration was nice and polite, but the staff behind the Concierge desk were less than helpful (some were downright rude and had an attitude that we were bothering them with our questions)

The room assigned to us was a renovated room located on the inside courtyard. It was small but clean. (Just a quick note, If it is your first time in Europe, North American Visitors will find the rooms - and the bathrooms - very small. But this is typical for a 3 star hotel in a major European City) It was not an issue for me and my wife, but if your room faces the inside courtyard, noise can be very loud at times depending on how rowdy the pagtrons are at the pub are. If you are travelling with a family I would recommend requesting a room that overlooks the street - although being in Central London- you will still hear sirens from emergency vehicles.

For North American Travellers, please note that the two power PLUGS that you have access to in the room are not the typical two round plugs, but rather the THREE prong variety. Make sure you bring the appropriate adapter

The best thing about the hotel is its' proximity to Russel Square Underground station (3 minute walk) - which is great! Russel Square is on the Picadilly line - that means you do not have to transfer to another line if you want to visit Buckingham Palace (Exit at Green Park) and Harrod's (exit at Knightsbridge station). Russell Square is also one stop away from King's Cross - which allows you to transfer to most other underground lines (except for Jubilee line I believe - but please do check).

Tried the breakfast and was very dissappointed. It is consists of coffee, toast, two or three types of cereal, juice, or milk. If you need more (i.e. you want to upgrade to an English Breakfast) - that will cost you 5 GBP per person. The Hotel has other restaurants - Chinese, Indian Buffet, Pizza, and English Pub food. Tried the Pizza cafe, and it was ok. But there are other great alternatives for restaurants around the area .... we found a Pret a Manger across street from the Russell Underground to have great hot oatmeal porridges, breakfast sandwiches, coffee, a great selection of fresh sandwiches and salads. Nearby is also tried La Bardigiana (good ravioli and olk Spaghetti and meatballs) and Brunswick Square has Carluccio (Italian), Strada (Italian), Gourmet Burger Kitchen (self explanatory), and a Starbucks. Brunswick square also has Yo Sushi and other Bohemian type cafes/ eateries like Giraffe but have not tried them personally so read other reviewers.

For snacks, we found a Tesco Express across the street from the Russell Square underground station which al least had reasonable prices for chips, bottles of water, etc. This Tesco Express also sold pre-paid SIM Cards too.

Overall, I'd say for the price, the hotel was OK - at least the room we had was kept clean and that is the bare minimum I would expect from a three star hotel. The biggest redeeming feature of the hotel is the location and its proximity to Russell Square and King's Cross underground.

Room Tip: If rowdy pub crowd noise bothers you, request a room overlooking the street instead of the interior...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family