“Reception staff are lovely” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Royale London Hyde Park

Grand Royale London Hyde Park
Ranked #291 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Perth
“Reception staff are lovely”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two weeks.
I was impressed with the kindness and consideration of the reception staff especially the young ladies Anifa and Francesca. They were very kind and considerate and nothing was too much trouble.
I would stay here again due to the professionalism of these ladies and also the porters who were similarly kind and I am not exaggerating. Although travelling alone I never felt lonely because I knew they would always help me out and guide me in terms of my questions about London.
eg the shuttle bus, restaurants, tube stations etc.
Any query I had or request I made was dealt with promptly and in a friendly and approachable manner.
This hotel is Grand, the people at the front desk make it so.
Thank you Anifa and Francesca, I appreciate your kindness and your caring attitude to all guests.

Room Tip: The single room I had, though small, was nice and quiet and I felt snugly and comfortable. I have r...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AnkurSehgal, Front Office Manager at Grand Royale London Hyde Park, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback.

Such feedbacks are very important for our entire team to work harder to achieve higher percentage of guest satisfaction at all levels.

We will pass on your feedback to the rest of the team & your motivating & encouraging feedback will act as a benchmark for us to maintain at all times.

Once again, thank you very much for your time & we look forward to serve you soon in the near future.

Ankur Sehgal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (797)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We were transferred here from the Shaftesbury London premier notting hill - which seems to be a common theme with this group of hotels (beware). We weren't happy, but as this hotel was more than double the price of the original, we didn't put up too much of a fight and had high expectations.
One good point of this hotel is that it is very close to bayswater tube station. On arrival we were fairly impressed with the frontage and reception area - quite grand as the name suggests, but very different to the modern hotel we had originally booked.
However, things started to go downhill from here. We had been expecting to go straight to our rooms to freshen up as promised, but were then told our rooms would not be available till 2pm (at 10.30am). When I asked if I could get changed somewhere and do my makeup, they pointed me to a very cramped unisex toilet down a flight of stairs, and made no effort to help me with my bags. My boyfriend and I and our 2 bags almost filled the toilet, making it awkward for other guests to come in and use the facilities, and pretty embarrassing for me with half a face of makeup on! Thankfully we were allowed to leave our bags at the hotel while we went exploring london for the day.
On returning at 5.30pm worn out, we were shown to a minuscule room with a bed and a small table with a chair you couldnt pull out as it was too close to the bed. Very dark, funny smell of smoke, and no where near what i'd expect if I was paying over £500 for 2 nights. Asked to swap - no rooms available. Asked for a lamp so I could actually see myself whilst getting ready - none available. On the upside the room was fairly modern.
After a poor nights sleep due to noise from people outside on the street all night (student area?), we woke to find our shower head was broken. Fab.
Complimentary breakfast was good, hot and cold food and nice breakfast room.
Wouldn't come again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sheffielder2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Grand Royale London Hyde Park for your recent visit to London.

We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I sincerely and profusely apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

It would be highly appreciated if you could contact me on fom@grandroyalelondon.co.uk as per your earliest convenience so we can talk discuss this further.

Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies & we look forward to welcoming you back at the Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

Olathe, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed here two nights. The staff were quite pleasant as was the bar area. Multiple restaurants and shopping opportunities near by. The main negative is that the bedroom was literally a "bed" room. The room had a single bed a small table they called a desk. That was it. It was easier to work while propped up in the bed. For two nights it was over $500 (US). Nice place; however, cramped rooms. Was not worth the money spent.

Room Tip: Rooms are cramped. No what you are getting before confirming.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

I am writing to you personally to thank you for your stay with us. We are indeed pleased to know that your stay was satisfactory.

Being one of the heritage property, highly listed building and modern design done in our rooms, we do tend to struggle with our room size although we do have larger rooms available.

We will look forward to welcome you back to provide you the superior service and do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Christchurch, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

WARNING - READ THE OTHER POOR REVIEWS TOO!
Despite some good reviews, there are a multitude of other bad reviews. Do the maths, you have a high risk of falling into one of the dissatisfied group!

This was not the hotel I booked. I was booked into Shaftesbury Suite Marble arch, but due to a problem with double booking (I booked 2 months in advance!) I was transferred to the Grand Royale. I did complain before being moved as I wanted to be in the marble arch area for business purposes and needed to be local to my venue. Bayswater is not a particularly convenient location anyway (previous stays in different hotels in the area).

Firstly the common areas. At first, it does have a "wow" factor. Grand Victoriana and beautiful dark woodwork in the foyer and main staircase. However, scratch beneath the surface and you will quickly realise that this place is all fur coat and no knickers... and not a very good fur coat at that either. The wood of the main foyer and staircase has not been looked after. Some of it is badly damaged and has been given a shoddy repair. There are areas where major renovation is needed. In particular, there are garish rips and tears in the tapestry wallpaper that badly need repair. The paintwork on the wood in the breakfast area is shabby. As these designs are some of the features that management so often proudly quote in their response letters to complaints (... the old "this is a victorian design and as such rooms can't be altered" etc... see reviews passim) it is a real shame that they can't be bothered to look after it properly.

Now onto the room. Where do I start with this one! I was allocated to a tiny double room on the second floor (the same floor as the breakfast room). Bearing in mind that I was inconvenienced and was transferred to this "sister" hotel because of the group of hotels not being able to run a bookings system, I would have expected a similar room or better at the very least, not one that was substandard. The bedroom area was small, but tolerable just. The saving grace on space was that there was a slanted floor to ceiling window in an alcove like design, giving at least some space to put the suitcase. Only one half wardrobe with half a dozen coathangers. Enough space for me, but for 2 people on an extended stay? Nowhere near enough storage. The wall paper was grubby and marked. There were liquid stains on the walls, particularly adjacent to the bed at around knee height. I hope it was spilt tea or coffee.. I'd rather not think about the alternative! One of the wall lights beside the bed was loose and about to fall off the wall. The wooden fascia of the plug console on the tea and coffee table had detached off the wall, exposing bare plugs and a multitude of wires... well that's safe then! The blinds were damaged and dented. Best to leave them shut though as the view was a grotesque block of flats with bins and rubbish. The windows didn't open, so no fresh air into room (only that which came through the (unfiltered) air con duct.

Television - Brilliant! Nice modern flatscreen with ok selection of channels. Turn the lights out and watch TV to take your attention away from the room. Bed - firm mattress which is my preference, but for some this would be too firm for a hotel.

Bathroom. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I am 5 ft 6 inches and 66kg, so I am by no means tall or obese. I struggled. The toilet bowl is almost flush against one wall. A cunning ploy, as you cannot "part the cheeks" properly when defaecating leading to a right royale mess. The toilet paper is rough. Come on... 4 star? I expect softer! I would also take issue with how clean that wall is next to the bowl, as there is no way an average housemaids arm would be able to squeeze down run a cloth over that. The shower... Multiple problems. A very small shower tray, with 3 tiled walls and a shower curtain, not a rigid cubicle. The height of the cubicle was low - I would estimate 6 ft max. The curtain rail was broken and sagged badly. The curtain was too long for the cubicle, meaning that it kept blocking the plughole. You had to keep checking the plug to make sure the water was draining, so as not to flood the bathroom. NO drain in the bathroom floor, so potentially the bedroom carpet was at risk too. The shower was so small that it was not possible for me to bend down to wash my legs and feet properly. If you have even so much as a minor back problem, you will not be able to wash in this cubicle.

Curiously there was a downlighter light without any waterproof covering immediately over the shower head. Is this legal? I suppose when the someone gets electrocuted the inquest will let us know!

I did ask to be moved but was told that there were no other rooms available. There were other guests complaining about their bathrooms too, so it wasn't just me being fussy. I was also told that I had one of the biggest bathrooms in the hotel, and that other bathrooms were smaller. I challenged this asking why the website showed rooms with bathtubs and an over bath shower. The area of the bathtub alone would have been bigger than the bathroom I had. They apologised, and showed me to the only room available (...Really??...) that had a bath - in the basement. This did have a window looking onto street level, but I wasn't happy with this (noise issues). I can only thank my lucky stars I didn't change room as later that day there were black rubbish bags piled up on the steps outside that very window. Nice!

I was then told it was due to the victorian design of the hotel and that nothing could be done about layout. Well, I suppose if you insist on trying to change linen cupboards into en suite bathrooms, then you are off to a non-starter, but this is simply a lame excuse. This excuse appears time and time again in the response letters from the management (see previous reviews). I have stayed in listed Victorian buildings in the past and they seem to manage to provide adequately sized bedrooms and bathrooms... I'm not asking for a palatial suite, just something that is practical and usable! And just for the record...that slanted, angled, double glazed aluminium window from floor to ceiling in my room... is that one of these treasured Victorian designs that prevent any sort of renovation to the hotel? I think not! I expect to see the standard copy and paste reply to my post, but there you go... just another little reflection on how important you are as a guest.

One positive point. The breakfast at least was ok. Not fantastic, just OK. Standard buffet style hot breakfast with the usual mass catered english cooked breakfast choices. There was a limited fresh fruit and yoghurt selection, and there was a reasonably good selection of breads and pastries. You'll not get an omelette or eggs benedict here though. If it's not under the lamps, it won't be appearing! To be honest, in London it is so easy to go out to a nice cafe for a really gorgeous breakfast that it's not actually that much of a bonus to have breakfast included.

All in all an absolutely shocking experience. It has probably been one of my worst stays in London (and my goodness I have had some bad ones over the years!). But worst of all was that I didn't choose in this. I was re-allocated here because this particular group of hotels seem to be running some sort of racket by double booking and re-allocating guests. Added to that the price of the hotel. If I had paid rock bottom prices, then fine... you take your chances. But this wasn't cheap. In actual fact, save yourself a few pennies a night and stay in the prem!er !nn. At least you know what you're getting!

In a word. AVOID! Yes, there have been some good reviews, but just look at how many bad ones are there. And also look at how this group of "sister" hotels treats it's guests.

Room Tip: Change hotel!
4 Thank sentineluk

Khartoum, Al Khartum, Sudan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Our stay at the hotel was awesome for one main reason, near to the shopping centre of Oxford street. Myself, and my 2 teenage daughters aged 21 & 20 stayed during the last week of August 2013. The location is perfect for a family near Hyde park(30 meters from the nearest gate) so you can stroll down the narrow path for the garden and let someone else do the spending on your behalf ;) . As usual for all my travels I don't eat at hotel restaurants as I would rather try local surrounding restaurants which were plenty and to our desired choice each time we decided to go out. Rooms and bath room attached very small to someone of my size, so be an expert And book executive double .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Khalididris
Dear Guest,

Thank you staying with us at the Grand Royale.

We are pleased to know that your stay with us was pleasant and your feedback will be shared with the team which will help us to maintain our service level.

We hope to see you back some time in future and do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

PARIS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Booked through booking.com
room was extremely small with a toilet/bathroom door not very convenient.
Phone was out of order.
Wifi password was not given at the check in....

But everything was clean - breakfast OK

it was a business trip

Room Tip: ask for a large room
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

I am writing to you personally to thank you for your stay with us. We will surely take a note of your feedback which will help us to deliver excellent customer service.

Campbellford, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

Had a great time at the Grand Royale London Hyde Park. The staff were very attentive, the rooms very clean, and it's just a remarkable old building. Yes the rooms are small and the washroom a bit cramped by modern standards but the charm and feel of the hotel more then made up for the size of the room. Besides. we were out enjoying the sights and sounds of London. Good value, outstanding location to both Tube and bus service, and some interesting eating establishments in the area. Two thumbs up!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CampbellfordGuy
AnkurSehgal, Front Office Manager at Grand Royale London Hyde Park, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your very kind words on your recent stay at The Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

I was delighted that we met your expectations in all aspects of your stay. Please do come back and see us again soon.

Kind regards