“Good Italian food”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Description: Assaggetti offers guests the chance to try selections of small dishes in chic and welcoming surroundings. Signature dishes such as Straccetti from Siena (fresh pasta with Tuscan sausage) and Tagliata All’Aceto Balsamico (grilled entrecote steak with balsamic vinegar) can be served in larger, more traditional portions or shared with a range of fantastic dishes. Assaggetti is ideally placed for diners to enjoy earthy food offering good value before or after a night at the theatre or somewhere to catch up with friends and enjoy an evening tasting dishes and enjoying our extensive Prosecco selection.
Reviewed July 2, 2018

We happened upon this place when we were out exploring. I'm pretty picky when it comes to Italian food since my family is Italian, this was a pretty good fine. It was reasonably priced and the service was good.

Date of visit: August 2017
Write a reviewReviews (652)

Reviewed June 13, 2018

We needed something to eat for a late lunch after riding the Hop On bus all day. Stumbled upon this and were very pleased! The pizza was so good, and the minestrone soup excellent as well. Order great glasses of wine to go with it. Free Wi-Fi (ask for password). Service friendly and excellent.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed May 30, 2018

I felt disgusted as I felt tricked and fooled. I went to the restaurant on 30/05/2018 on lunch time and there is a post that says: 10 pounds unlimited homemade pizzas. When I went into, the waiter told me that it is not possible for 1 person. Literally: "1 person, cannot". They did not specify that in any part of the posts. It is clearly a tricking Marketing.

I asked why minimum 3 people and he told me: 1 cannot. In Brighton, Casa de la Pizza, you can, Pizza Hut, you can as well, in USA, CICI's, you can as well. I understand they can decide make a minimum of people, but put it on the post then. Otherwise, don't put the post directly.

I took a picture where I can prove that.

In addition, when I left, I looked again, I saw the waiter talking with a waitress and she was looking outside and laughing. No professional at all.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed May 26, 2018

My wife and I needed something before seeing Phantom of the Opera and sharing a small pizza was the way to go. Everything was fresh as in there was no way it had a pre-baked crust. It really hit the spot before the show and the service was great; friendly and professional. It's just a little pricey maybe but it's in that part of London where you have to expect this. Given a chance, I'd definitely give it a go again and I recommend you try it.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank John R
Reviewed May 21, 2018

With my gluten free brother, finding a suitable restaurant last minute can be a real struggle.
However, walking past Assaggetti we noticed their menu stated all pizza and pasta can be prepared GF.
This is already a massive tick in my book.

The restaurant was quiet with only two other tables occupied but we decided to give it a go and were so glad we did. We ordered some bread, olives and salami to start which all arrived promptly and were explained to us. The olive oil and balsamic vinegar was even presented artistically on each of our side plates. For mains we had a beautiful square pizza, a lasagna, clam spaghetti and what my brother declared the "best gluten free pizza" he'd ever had. The drinks were reasonably priced.

The service overall was fantastic. Lovely, attentive staff who couldn't have done more for us.
We sat upstairs which is bright and breezy. The central spiral staircase made an interesting feature. I've seen some people describe the downstairs as being "like a dungeon" but I thought it looked really cool, cosy & inviting. Many London venues have underground areas which I think adds something a little bit different.

I've noted that reviews for this restaurant seem to swing wildly from one extreme to the other. I am wondering whether the service and food quality slips when they are busy? What I can say is that on a quiet Sunday afternoon, we couldn't have asked for a better meal or service.

I will definitely be putting this on my list of places to go back to.

Date of visit: May 2018

Been to Assaggetti? Share your experiences!