“Not to the normal Asian standards...but a good enough attempt”
Review of Bubbleology

Bubbleology
Ranked #331 of 1,247 Coffee & Tea in London
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Neighborhood: Soho
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Bubbleology is a little drink shop off of Shaftesbury Avenue that serves the world renown Asian bubble tea: originally a milk tea with tapioca pearls, but there are various flavours of it now.

The theme of the place is like a laboratory, complete with test tubes and other scientific paraphernalia, with the staff dressed in lab coats. A nice little gimmick.

I ordered the vanilla milk tea. They have various ingredients which you can add to your drinks like flavoured jellies and 'bursting boba'; a bubble filled with flavoured liquids that burst when you bite into them. I chose to have mango boba in my drink. It was a nice touch to have, but I picked the wrong flavour to go with the vanilla as both flavours were very conflicting. But it was a good drink. The milk tea had a strong vanilla taste.

It's worth trying if you've never had bubble tea. I think they should incorporate fresh fruit blended drinks into their menu too.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Went to this place & was already somewhat turned off by their attempt to turn bubble tea into some silly chemistry theme, complete with lab coats.

Regardless the theatrics, the proof should have been in the pudding. However, I was left pretty disappointed by both the service and also the taste.

As they didn't have my normal tea (honey green tea), I tried the passionfruit instead. The boy who served me initially looked incredulous at my inquiry of whether they could make a honey green tea, and then when I finally got my drink, it was sickly sweet and the bubbles overly soft.

I much prefer a place that isn't about ridiculous gimmicks and just serves a good variety of tasty drinks. My feeling is that maybe this is how they're trying to appeal to a wider audience, by turning it into this neon monstrosity.

For my money, I'd rather go a block over to Chinatown & get something more authentic. As a native Taiwanese, I know that you don't need to have fancy signs, equipment or lab coats to make a good drink.

6  Thank AWC886
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Is how, I discovered, this delectable mass of chewing gummy, fruity flavoured and tapioca-bubbly drink should be drunk . . . if one is to avoid asphyxiation. If you manage it - enjoy! If you don't, it was nice knowing you.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Visited on an autumnal day but I imagine in summer this place would be the spot to quench the thirst. It is the delicious science of bubble tea. You can sample before you buy as not everyone's cup of tea, pardon the pun. Based on Tapioca, flavoured jelly, popping boba, ice or o ice, sweetness or not. Worth a try when on a an outing!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

It's amazing how the mix science and tea! Love it! Very nice environment and as far as I know they are open till late cause I remember going in sometime in the afternoon/evening.

The put these little jelly balls in your tea which are so tasty! Very smart idea!