“Amateurs. Inepts. Pulling a fast one.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Brick Lane Hotel

Brick Lane Hotel
Brick Lane Hotel
Ranked #345 of 575 London B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Amateurs. Inepts. Pulling a fast one.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

1. Run by Bengali, trash businessmen. They insisted I pay cash, not by card. I had to refuse three times and finally accepted my credit card.
2. Free wifi? It doesn't reach the rooms= no wifi
3. Breakfast included: "Continental breakfast" : "coffee or tea with cornflakes". Ridiculous. No toast, no nothing else. Not until I asked the £10 of the breakfast back and I'd get my own breakfast elsewhere.... Finally accepted to include 2 small croissants but without any butter or jam and they forgot to bring any sugar or saccharine for the coffee. The breakfast is brought to your room by a guy in his pyjamas, didn't even washed his face. There is no breakfast launch.
4. Small single room with ensuite bathroom, basic but confortable and appropriate to the £69 it costs. TV with freeview. Enough for me.
5. Close to Aldgate East tube station. 5 min away.
I am never going back to that hotel and I do not recommend it.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Alonsorx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

Definitely no bed bugs when I stayed here a month ago. Clean room, warm (adjustable heating). Very small bathroom, but all I needed was a clean comfy bed overnight and a shower in the morning.

Odd in that because I checked to at 0800, I had to pay the night before, and couldn't have a room key as nobody was manning the reception desk that early in the morning -I had o lock myself in room (yale and drop lock inside). When I left, I let myself out of the back door and let the latch drop! Bit odd, but just fine.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank franceswelch
Lancaster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

I was dubious about this place after reading some of the reviews but my concerns were swiftly eradicated. The room was spotless, modern and way bigger than I thought. (No bedbugs whatsoever!) Plus it has a virtually silent and most welcome air conditioning unit.
The real beauty of this hotel is its location. Round the corner from Aldgate East tube and you are minutes from Brick Lane market yet the hotel is the quiet end of Brick Lane. The food in the restauraunt downstairs is delicious and the staff are polite and attentive. For the price, this hotel is an absoloute steal. I will be stayin here again without a doubt.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Matt W
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

First things first , ignore all the negative reviews including bed bugs . The room was spotless and if you're thinking of stopping here you have nothing to worry about . The room had fresh crisp linen and a brilliant power shower . The location was perfect , 12 min walk from Liverpool st. station or 6 min from Aldgate east tube . The hotel was at the quieter part of Brick lane . The staff were really friendly and we took up the 25% discount at the restaurant below . It's lively at night , so there is a little street noise and it is also a stopping point on the many 'jack the ripper' walking tours . We had 2 double rooms and the other couple were equally Impressed with the hotel . We will be back !!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Simon L
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival we asked the receptionist if the bed bug situation has been resolved and he said yes through pest control. He lied. Covered in bites, the room finishing was appalling and there was a bright green exit light in our room. Also room not cleaned or towels replaced. Avoid!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Simon B
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Spent only 1 night in this hotel and returned with both arms covered in bed bug bites. Also the hotel receptionist staff were noisy which I had to report to them at 2am in the morning. Definitely would not recommend staying here!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 767Lucy100
Glasgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

I reserved this hotel in August and therefore did not benefit from the September review warning of bed bugs.

I booked the triple room, expecting three single beds (which is the standard description for a triple room), for myself and two friends to share a room together, but we found the room contained a double bed and a single bed.

The room was relatively small and en-suite shower/toilet room was very small. The shower cubicle was small and the sink even smaller. The only toiletry supplied was a small bar of soap.

Freeview TV in room.

Free WiFi.

Poor continental breakfast included in price. The breakfast comprised of coffee (both of my friends said this was dreadful quality) or tea, if you wished, a selection of individual cereal boxes, three bananas, three small apples, a carton of milk and three cartons of orange Ribena.

We only booked and stayed one night. On the bed sheets, in the morning, we discovered areas of rusty red discolouration and one of my friends had been bitten ten times, raising the suspicion of a bed bug infestation.

The hotel is on Brick Lane, which is famous for it's curry houses, and is a short walk (5 minutes at the most) from Aldgate East underground station. There was, however, a lot of street noise, from revellers and recycling being performed at 6am. The hotel entrance is down a side alley, which is not obvious from Brick Lane.

Despite it possessing a few positives, I simply cannot recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: For a good room, choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends