“Even worse than anticipated!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
American Bar and Grill
Ranked #15,890 of 23,689 Restaurants in London
Neighborhood: Greenwich
Neighborhood: Greenwich
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Arrived at this restaurant / bar for dinner and drinks before the Apassionata show on 21st January. It was our first visit but will most definitely be our last. The first thing I noticed was that the restaurant was only 25% full of the available capacity and this was around 6pm on a peak Saturday night so the alarm bells were already ringing. However we decided to stay as they do show live Premier League football despite anticipating poor food or service.

The wrong channel was showing on the TV that was facing the table she sat us down at even after I specified which match I wanted to watch. After pointing this out the waitress said she'll switch it over but took far too long and the match had almost already started. Then they had no sound so basically don't bother going there for dinner if you want to watch the match with commentary and atmosphere as they wasn't any.

Now to the food and drinks which was the worst part. We ordered 2 cocktails and 5minutes later were told they didn't have the vodka's for my girlfriends drink so she had to choose another. I must point out this is a Saturday night and we couldn't believe that this place didn't have certain vodkas and the cocktail list was very limited compared to many other places we've visited.

Then we ordered a mixed platter for starters. When this arrived we started tucking in but then noticed the Jalepeno poppers were missing. At this point the waitress came over and explained they haven't any and offered more chicken strips as a substitute! I thought you're supposed to be told this when ordering so that you can change your mind but I guess this is the standard to expect. An extra few starter items were added after to make up for that.

Ordered rack of ribs for my main course which was okay meat wise but the BBQ sauce was poor and I eat ribs regularly. The coleslaw was also shocking and I could not stomach more than 1 sample. The curly fries were fine. My girlfriend ordered a burger with blue cheese. 10minutes after the order we were informed that they had run out of blue cheese... surprised? Not anymore!

6:30pm and already 3 items we ordered were not available. Changed blue cheese for avacado. No word of a lie but the burger did not show up at all and I'd almost finished all my ribs. We decided to count this as a blessing and called the waitress over to cancel the burger order. She didn't even apologise for the wait or the fact that they'd clearly forgotten to make my gf's burger, amazingly poor customer service to say the least.

My gf decided to get a take out from Wasabi whilst I waited at the downstairs bar and finished the rest of the football match. Half the bar section was closed and had funny looking flashing white lights surrounding 3 rows of empty red wine bottles and spirits, these lights kept on flashing and I'll rate it the most ridiculous bar lighting I've ever encountered.

To summarise, we spent £40 for a sharing platter starter, 1 cocktail and beer and 1 main. All we got was below par food, hilarious bar decor, poor service and 2nd choice food and drink items that we didn't really want. Oh and a missing main course.

1  Thank dv6678

Reviewed July 9, 2011

The American Bar and Grill in the O2 is a typical American Sports bar. You´ve got lots of TVs, so everybody can watch the games. The food isn´t special, but still tasty. Prices are a little high, but that´s to expect, when you eat at the O2. The staff was very friendly. They have wodden tables and comfortables seats. You can sit at the bar.