“Terrible service. Didn't bother to stay for the food!”
Review of Desperados - CLOSED

Desperados
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Greenwich
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My partner and I had a table booked on Friday 4 January. We were using a deal through Groupon online. We live in Greenwich and had always meant to pop in there, so when the deal came up I saw it as the perfect opportunity to try it out. What a mistake it was.

When we arrived, we informed the waitress of that we had a table booked, but she seated us without bothering to check the reservations. After a few minutes, the same waitress then approached us and asked rather abruptly 'Oh, are you the two Groupon people? Let me get you the Groupon menu.' I was somewhat surprised at this, as the terms didn't actually specify that it was a set menu deal. There are some short lists of what's included, but it doesn't clue the reader in on how ridiculously limited the menu actually is. There were only four items available for each course and there were no descriptions of the food, so it was difficult to know what you were really ordering anyway. This is most likely because it was handwritten on refill pad paper. It even included instructions for staff on how to charge for the food, which makes me think that it was primarily for internal use. I was a little confused, since I'm almost certain that it would actually have been quicker to type the menu on a computer and print it, rather than take the time to write it out at least twice. It's almost as if they were going out of their way to make the experience as belittling as possible.

Rather than sit through the discomfort, we decided to go for dinner at Cafe Sol instead (the competition), which was far better than I imagine Desperado's would have been. When I told the waitress at Desperado's that I wasn't impressed by what we'd been presented with, rather than try to make it better, she merely said 'I know', as if even she'd resigned herself to the mediocrity of it all.

Ordinarily I would approach a vendor directly to try to resolve the matter, but seeing as we're not particularly keen on going back any time soon, we asked for a refund of the voucher directly from Groupon.

The funniest part is that we probably would have had a better experience if we'd just turned up normally without a voucher, as I'd often meant to do but just never got around to. Instead, the very tool they're using to try to encourage business is the same one that has persuaded me never to go back there again!

1  Thank littlemissdoug

Reviewed December 12, 2012

My boyfriend and I wanted to have a nice dinner and they offered us free drinks so we went for desperados instead of the other mexican place in the area.
The atmosphere, service and food were awful. The waitress was quite rude, she completely forgot our onion rings as well. I wish i had not reminded her though, as the onion rings were gooey and disgusting. My friend's burger was surely pre-cooked and frozen, and my burrito's beans tasted like the really cheap canned ones. It was around £15 per person with the starters, which i think is double or even three times the price the food was worth of. We tried to hide the disgusting taste with ketchup, but yet again we discovered a mouldy bit of a potato in the bowl of ketchup. My sangria was on the house and it was OK i guess.
Oh, but the smell in the restaurant is quite unpleasant..

1  Thank EvaIlio
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Located in Greenwich between the Cutty Sark and the 88 bus stop, on the main road.
Nice venue with mexican styling. Staff were friendly and attentive. Order was taken quickly. We ordered from the lunch menu - portions are large and prices reasonable, although £3.95 for a large bottle of water is a little steep. We tried the Beef Burrito and Chicken Enchiladas - both were delicious. Would visit again.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Very reasonable. good size portions, friendly staff and amazing service. On the high road so very near all attractions.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

My daughter took me here in August.. Her Tuna steaks and salad looked good but my burrito was a bit indifferent.. They could do better.. Service was fast and the food OK I guess . If you just want to grab a bite to eat 'on the hoof' it is fine.. but as another reviewer has said .. Too many tables!