“Mexican and English food”
Review of Desperados - CLOSED

Desperados
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Greenwich
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Very reasonable. good size portions, friendly staff and amazing service. On the high road so very near all attractions.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

My daughter took me here in August.. Her Tuna steaks and salad looked good but my burrito was a bit indifferent.. They could do better.. Service was fast and the food OK I guess . If you just want to grab a bite to eat 'on the hoof' it is fine.. but as another reviewer has said .. Too many tables!

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We had a meal here on 1st September 2012, the staff were lovely as was the food. We paid £45 for 2 mains and a bottle of wine. Sounds like a lot but the mains were enormous, we certainly couldn't have managed starters or desserts. Would certainly go there again!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Went there for a weekend, the food quality isn't all that, and it's quite pricey for what you get, service isn't good either, there is also a service charge!!!! Won't visit it again.

2  Thank DestinedTraveller
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I think my title says it all. But, let me elaborate further. My friend and I ate here on Saturday 23rd June 2012 and neither of us wishes to ever repeat the experience.
After being cajoled into the restaurant by the head waiter, we were faced with a busy restaurant. Not a problem in itself, we personally prefer a place to be alive and buzzing rather than have the atmosphere of a morgue, but when squeezed onto the tiniest table in front of a door that led into the storeroom, we began to regret our decision.
After manoeuvring ourselves through the rabbit warren of tables (there were far too many for the size of the place, god help them in the event of a fire!) and having ourselves bashed about as we tried to get settled, we were offered the menus . We had barely had chance to get settled when the waiter was back asking if we wanted a drink and a starter.
Knowing Mexican food, we ordered Nachos to share and quickly picked two cocktails – big mistake! In the meantime waitresses kept pushing past us to get into the storeroom, once was acceptable but several times was beyond a joke!
We chose our main courses, by which time the first cocktail arrived. It was in a small glass and though it was lovely, it wasn’t exactly value for money. I had to wait for my cocktail; in fact, the Nachos arrived before my drink did! In the meantime, we noticed the price of said cocktails. Written in small lettering we noticed that for the pleasure of a tiny cocktail we were to be charged £5.99! £5.99! For a tiny cocktail! I know this is London, but seriously, even Turpin himself would have flinched at such a blatant robbery.
So, what were the Nachos like? Well….average is the word. They arrived very suspiciously fast and the soured cream was warm….something that would come back to haunt later on that night! To be honest, the nachos were no better than you’d buy from a supermarket. I reckon I could make better myself!
OK, so far, not so good, maybe the main would improve? Sadly not. Again, nothing you couldn’t buy from a supermarket in a box. My friend had the Chicken Fajitas and the accompaniments were small and of poor quality. I had chicken burrito, complete with more warm soured cream, and it wasn’t the best I’ve ever had. The chicken was poor quality, the brown dregs of a carcass.
Now, by this point, our enthusiasm for the evening had begun to wane. Then we were drawn to a fracas taking part on the table behind. It wasn’t hard to listen as each table was so close it was like being in a canteen anyway. They had got their bill and were enraged at the 10% service charge whacked onto their bill! The staff were not helpful, in fact, seemed quite rude. This made us start to sweat, fearing the size of our own bill.
Let’s be clear here, there was no mention of a 10% service charge mentioned ANYWHERE on the menu, but sure enough the bill arrived and there it was: £4 in service charge for less than average service.
As you can imagine, we were not happy. We paid and left, feeling angered and robbed.
But that was not the end, oh, no! A few hours later, said meal came back to haunt and we spent the night rolling around with agonising stomach ache. So, thanks for that, Desperados! Robbed and made ill!
Like my title says, at least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask when he robbed folk! Don’t go here, not if you want a nice evening.

4  Thank Nina S