“Usual excellent food and service”

Cote Brasserie - St Martin's Lane
Ranked #444 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: Our inspiration for the food and design of Cote is a modern interpretation of the many famous bistros of Paris. Inspired by new trends, we are dedicated to serving authentic classic brasserie dishes with a modern twist, using high quality produce at great prices. On the menu, guests will always find brasserie favourites on our a la carte menu such as steak frites, moules marinieres, corn-fed chicken from rural Brittany and tuna Nicoise, for dessert, Cote's creme caramel and creme brulee are much-loved house specialities. Seasonality and Cote's commitment to sourcing high-quality ingredients results in a monthly changing specials menu, ensuring there is always something new to delight regular guests and gastronomes alike, as well as the excellent value set menu. Open early every day for breakfast, through to lunch and dinner; Cote's atmosphere is informal and friendly
Reviewed January 7, 2013

It was New Years Eve and they squeezed us in for dinner prior to our visit to the theatre. Everything was easy and good quality as in all Cote restaurants.

There are newer reviews for Cote Brasserie - St Martin's Lane

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I was in Central London with some friends visiting from overseas and fancying a bite and the pre theatre menu looked OK so we went in. We all decided on al la carte instead as it sounded great...
We were seated promptly but no one took our coats, I was directed with arms laiden to the coat hook which was already full.
Anyway, not bothered by that really... Firstly the starters were fine. We ordered cod goujons for my daughter but they had sold out so we asked for the grilled chicken instead.
So it all went wrong when the main courses arrived:
My daughter's chicken was raw through the middle. Not just pink, but seriously under cooked. So, I asked if they could please cook it a bit more. When it eventially bame back (deep fried, not grilled as it had been) half the portion was missing, only 1 small piece of now cremated chicked, a few green beans and the fries which were now soggy and cold. I pointed out that it was a bit gross and all the waitress could muster was "that's how the chef gave it to me". Bully for the chef.
Then when the main courses came one of them was missing and took another 10 mins to arrive, we got some side orders which we do not order, I had to ask for mayonnaise about 3 times before it arrived... Was basically a bit shambolic and the staff did not care at all. There were plenty off staff and it was not busy so not really any excuse on that front.
I particularly took exception to the raw chicken as the manager tried to explain it was "just a vein". I know 1. what a vein looks like and 2. what seriously underdone chicken looks like. It also worried me that they are so blase about giving raw chicken to toddlers. I'm not squeamish at all about raw meat (I had steak tartare) but there are somethings which should be served cooked, chicken breast being one of them.

I had to ask for the children's meal to be removed from the bill (it was basically inedible) but I feel this should have been done automatically out of courtesy and I asked for the service to be removed (automatically added at 12.5%, normal but a lot on a GBP110 meal). They did that without quibble but we did wait 20 minutes for the bill...
I have been to other restaurants in the Cote chain which have always been OK. However I will never return to this one. I supposed they don't care since they are in St Martin's Lane and plenty of tourists / daytrippers for them to inflict their poor service and lousy food on.

For me the wort thing was it was my friends' first time in London and I feel this was really quite embarassing for me as a Londoner and as thier host.

3  Thank Fiona_mama
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We pre-booked online on 24 December for 12.15 on Boxing Day before going to the ballet at 2.30, and when we turned up things were still fairly quiet and we were served promptly. It did fill up pretty quickly though so we were glad we had left plenty of time. The waitress was friendly and helpful (one of my choices wasn't available but she made a good suggestion of another). Four of us chose a varied selection, some from the set menu, some à la carte, and we all enjoyed the food, which was served hot and attractively. We had a quiet table in the window, and weren't rushed to finish. For two courses each, one bottle of house wine and four coffees, the bill came to about £100, which we felt wasn't bad for London. We'd certainly go back.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stopped in here after going to the ballet just after Christmas. We initially couldn't get a table but they were opening up the downstairs room ten minutes later so we waited. The service was excellent, a good selection on the menu and the food was good quality. Most of all the price was very reasonable for the centre of London right in the theatre district. Excellent value for a quick meal before or after the theatre. Service charge is included so don't leave a tip ( unless you're feeling exceptionally generous).

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Only the good value, food and service saved Cote from an overall poor score. We reserved a table for 4 at 6pm but the queue was up the street of other angry diners who had also booked a table for a pre-theatre meal meant it was gone 6.30pm before we sat down. Apologetic staff offered a free drink which was some compensation for what was as a result a rushed meal. Food good, a reasonably priced pre-theatre menu and good service made up for it in part. Would go again but wouldn't bother booking just go really early as they clearly don't actually run a reservation service at all!