“I stayed in a City Suite in December”

London City Suites By Montcalm
Ranked #435 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I wrote a review a truthful review about my stay . The City Suite we stayed in was little more than a tiny bedroom with a small but perfectly formed bathroom. The bed was so high I had trouble getting on to it, though it was very comfortable once I had managed to climb in. The pillows were dreadfully uncomfortable and I am told we could have changed them.

However after writing this same review I had a call from one of the Deputy managers to discuss my disappointment and she offered to let me have a Club Room at a 'good' rate next time so that we could see what Montcalm can offer when we next stayed and that I should email her when I wanted a room. Which this week I did, only to find the reply came from reservations rather than her and the 'good rate' was the one I could get online direct. Which I refused......the whole point was to make up for the disappointment of the room and the very dull breakfast offered in the pub opposite. So frankly unless you are willing to pay £340.00 for a room I suggest you look elsewhere. I certainly won't be taken for a ride again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank TomsGrandma
altmon, General Manager at London City Suites By Montcalm, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review in regards to your reservation process. All comments are taken to the heart as they help us improve our services and product.
I regret to learn that you felt the need to express your concerns this way.
Our team is always willing to help our guests to receive their preferred room type or in this case give some special attention to the rate would a request be placed in advanced.
In regards to the rooms, we have a large choice of room types and cater for all preferences.
Our breakfast is up to standards of 5* hotels and we only serve the freshest products of the day.
I do hope that you are gracious enough to give us another chance as we would love to welcome you back here at The Montcalm London City.

Kind regards,

Sabine

Reviewed February 23, 2014

The suits were closed at the time and I stayed in the main building. Given the category of the hotel the facilities and rooms are adequate. What makes the difference is that the hotel staff from reception to porters and cleaners are very helpful.

Room Tip: Given the building is a converted brewery, it is a bit of a maze and you may walk between floors. I...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank JonB19
StevenSands, Hotel Manager at London City Suites By Montcalm, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Jon,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share your feedback following your recent visit.

I was thrilled to read that you have enjoyed our services and our entire friendly team was helpful during your stay.

We are already looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Not enough words to describe this Excellent hotel. From arriving in a taxi and being welcomed outside hotel and helped with our bags in the door. Such friendly staff and fantastic service I have never experienced anywhere, and I have been to quite a few hotels around the world.
Amazing value and gorgeous decor in the reception continuing on to your rooms.
It is the little extra's that make such a difference. The TV being put on with calming music and notes and sweets on your pillow when you return from your adventures in the evening.
Have to say did get lost in hotel a couple of times, believe me we were not the only ones!!!
Didn't want to leave and will be returning some day, Barbican theatre is just around the corner with a cinema and shops and bars nearby. A very nice bar is attached to the hotel also.
No other hotel will compare to this one, i can assure you!!! loved it loved it!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
StevenSands, Hotel Manager at London City Suites By Montcalm, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to learn you had a wonderful stay with us. It is always a great pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am proud to say that our friendly and helpful team and extra touches in the room make every guest feel special and team strives to provide an enjoyable stay.

Thank you very much for sharing your lovely comments on this forum and recommending our property to other travellers.

I am sure that your recent visit will encourage you further to stay with us on the regular basis and we are looking forward to pamper you once again and make you feel like home.

Best wishes

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed here one Saturday in December. This hotel was excellent value for money. The service was exceptional. The location was excellent. The room was clean and tidy and there was even an ionic hairdryer in the room!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trafra
StevenSands, Hotel Manager at London City Suites By Montcalm, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Trafra

We would like to thank you for your lovely comments and we are delighted to hear that we have won you over as one of our many returning guests, as this is our ultimate reward.

Our team here ensures that our guests receive just the best of service, with attention to detail and that special something that defines us who we are; as we are giving our best in every way to ensure our guests are leaving with delightful memories.

The Montcalm London City team is looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Regards

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Good: Beautiful hotel in a historic building, generally excellent smiling and attentive personnel.
Not so good: Noisy A/C, extremely hard pillows, long, labyrinth-like walk from reception to room, weird bathroom layout: Couldn't turn shower on without getting soaked in ice cold or boiling water.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
StevenSands, Hotel Manager at London City Suites By Montcalm, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Dear Jonas,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.
We always appreciate feedback from our guests as this helps us to improve our services and product.

The Montcalm London City has a pillow menu which is available at reservation time or, if the guest prefers we can also change pillows at arrival and at any time during the stay.
I am happy to inform that our maintenance team has fixed the shower and that they are always happy to help when requested.

The Hotel is built within a listed property and our quirky corridors make its charm. We offer a variety type of rooms and cater for all preferences. Perhaps, on a future stay, you would prefer a room close to the main lifts.

We hope to be of your service again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Don't have anything against Sheraton, Hilton or Four Seasons, but Montcalm is the best in London. Staff are great and my daughter loves this hotel as she gets a teddy from every single time we stay. Those red apples in the foyers are so nice please do not walk past them. The gastro pub next doors can be rated at 5 stars. Why don't they go for the Michelin stars???

Room Tip: Go for the club room even if it is a little bit more expencive
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Laimonas,

Thank you for taking your valued time to share such a wonderful review on this forum.

I was delighted to read that you have chosen our hotel as being your favourite. Our team strives to make every guest feel welcome and nothing is too much for them, which makes each stay unique.

It was also pleased to read that your daughter received our Montcalm Teddy Bear each time and has a collection. We already have a new one waiting for her.

We hope to see you soon!

Kind Regards

Reviewed December 2, 2013

What a beautiful place to stay – conveniently located, modern suites in a classical building. Outstanding service from beginning to end. Quirky room set-up with a ‘windowed’ bathroom (i.e. looking back into the main room). Comfy bed, spacious room and excellent room service. One minor bugbear of mine – discoloured finishing around the bath/shower – it’s really common from lots of use in hotels and doesn’t mean ‘dirty’ but I like kind of clean that gives the illusion I’m the first person to step foot in there! Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Karen,

Thank you for your fabulous review and all lovely comments following your recent stay. It is always good initiative for the team to receive positive feedback.

I was thrilled to read that you had great stay and that your expectations were exceeded.

Thank you for your feedback about the bathroom. I am happy to inform that the same have been addressed by our maintenance team, who is always ready to help should a situation be reported.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back, in a near future.

Kind Regards