“Good late offers”

London City Suites By Montcalm
Ranked #429 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Good hotel with good late deals. Staff are very good. Make sure you check the minibar is stocked on arrival & restocked daily because they may charge you for stuff you didn't have after you have checked out!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the suites across the road from the main building, they are bigger and do not invo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
StevenSands, Hotel Manager at London City Suites By Montcalm, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear Christophus,

Thank you for your feedback and your comments are very much appreciated.
I was sorry to learn that you were charged for the items that you did not consume during your stay, however was glad that hotel and team have met your expectations.

We hope to have opportunity to welcome you back.

There are newer reviews for London City Suites By Montcalm

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We had 3 nights, and I would definitely return provided we can get the same good rate of £135 per night, as frankly for a 5star in London that is hard to match. If i paid the full price i would not be so happy.

Check in was good, save that for the first time I can recall we were expected to pay for the room in full in advance, plus £100 for incidentals (in case we went mad with the in room snacks?) I was a little insulted as I had already guaranteed the payment on line with my credit card.

The room we had, 608, was across the road, but on the first floor so not too much trouble. I noticed the under floor heating was not working in the bathroom, but dismissed that. However in the morning the whole room was very cool (we are still in a cold spring as I write this). The heating was not working at all; the master control showed a maintenance sign. That was bad enough but when I noticed a fan heater in the room I suspected this has been noticed earlier and nothing done about it, as the fan was not a standard feature, but an emergency measure to placate someone before us; why else would they have a heater?

We reported it and they moved us smoothly to another room, which was slightly superior "club", number 150. That had all of the heating working. It was marginally better, but down a long corridor with steps.

Club is apparently offering in room coffee machine but perhaps they took it out of ours as we were not entitled?

Both rooms were comfortable, clean and well presented. Facilities in the room were good, except the coffee is instant, which i think is unforgivable in a 5 star establishment, as is having long life milk cartons when they have a fridge for the minibar they can store a small carton of milk in. We found the room sizes were fine; after all in London like Paris you don't want to spend long in the room, you want to get out and enjoy the shows and sights.

A very small point- the turn down service supplies bonbons which frankly are a waste of time- either supply a nice chocolate or perhaps a bottle of water otherwise don't bother (for me).

We got one free water bottle and fruit basket for the room (only 1 in three days). Again, a little mean not to have a bottle of water each night.

The lighting in the rooms was pretty comprehensive if still bordering on the gloomy- however the switches were far from clear; it took a long time to work out the switch for the light in the cupboard over the tea/ coffee facilities- bedside the bed, which should perhaps be explain in the room guide or by the staff showing you the room. In the first room I did not find the switch for the floor level lights, so we slept with them on. The shower controls varied in each room, thankfully the Club room had a label on the fitting showing what each of three unmarked taps did (thanks for that).

Breakfast was frankly disappointing; we had the buffet, and I cannot understand why people are praising it. The coffee was stewed, in an urn, the choice was limited; much of the supplies had run out mid-breakfast, so i had to wait for a plate, milk, etc. Far better to walk a little and find a cafe or establishment serving breakfast with fresh coffee and more choice. The only plus was that the smoked salmon was very nice; if there were bagels, cream cheese etc it would have been better.

Staff were friendly, although i did not feel they handled the lack of heating very well- no special apology- I had to suggest perhaps they offer a free breakfast. When I checked out they ask- "did you have a good stay?"- fine, except the first night we woke to a cold room- "ok sorry" but that was as far as they went, other than to point out I should have reported it sooner (to be fair the room was warm enough when we arrived so I could not tell, and the fan started briefly on the system until the automatic cut off tripped and stopped it working 10 seconds later).

Location wise it is in the middle of the city which means it is pretty dead locally at the weekends- you need to use it as a base, but that is not a huge problem and at least it is pretty quiet.

Although the staff were nice i noticed when i was leaving, struggling with a heavy suit case up the extra stairs, a member of staff waited behind with no offer of a hand to assist, which was odd, as he was in a hurry to get past so it would have assisted him too.

Having said all of that, we would be happy to use the hotel again as it is good value, and next time we would bring our own water, coffee and perhaps check all the controls in the room more carefully before we accepted it.

With a little more effort, and perhaps training on how to handle matters when they go wrong, (and better coffee please!) this would be a certain first choice for a comfortable London stay.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid stairs you need to ask to get a room accessible from the lift without the extra...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
StevenSands, Hotel Manager at London City Suites By Montcalm, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

We thank you for sharing your detailed feedback on this forum and we regret to hear that your stay was not up to your expectations.
I was sorry to hear the issues you have experienced regarding the heating, but I am happy to know the response was quick and you could enjoy a free upgrade to one of our Club Rooms.

The City Club rooms are lavishly furnished with super comfortable bed, hand-made woollen carpets, marble bathrooms, luxury rain shower feature with Hermès toiletries. I am afraid the in coffee machine is not provided but of course it could always be delivered upon request.

We are sorry to hear that you didn't like our special touch in the turn down service.

We are very surprised to read the comment about our team, as we are known and recognized for our professional trained and pleasing staff.
However we are pleased to know you will come back to the Montcalm London City and give us another chance as we would like to show you how things are really done here at the Montcalm London City.

Kind regards

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Booked one night as a treat as we're going to see a gig in Kentish Town on the Saturday night. Situated between Moorgate and Barbican stations which are on the main tube lines, about a 5min walk from either. On the weekend the area was very quiet but are still pubs and restaurants nearby. The hotel is stunning, decor is modern and interesting. Rooms are so comfortable - didn't want to leave! The room had the bonus of a double shower, turn down service and pure comfort. Would definitely book here again.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Guest,

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
Indeed, our location is a perfect spot to start out with less traffic over the weekends and great access to all tourist attractions.
Thanks for the amazing compliments, we look forward to your next visit to London.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my girlfriend for two nights and we loved it! Everyone was so helpful, giving us directions, recommendations for places to go to and see checking the weather for us throughout the day, even handing us an umbrella as we were walking out as it had just started raining. We had two brilliant sleeps. The location is good as it is not far from moorgate tube station (5min walk). Would recommend it to anyone who is thinking of a trip to London!

• Stayed: March 2013
StevenSands, Hotel Manager at London City Suites By Montcalm, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a splendid review of your time at The Montcalm London City.
I am delighted to hear that your London break was so enjoyable and am pleased that the comfort of the room and the high level of service you experienced helped add to the occasion.
Thank you for recommending The Montcalm London City to fellow Tripadvisor users, I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

First of all, what a small room! A single bed much too short for me as I'm 6 foot.... Then, so much for free wifi-I had no signal in my room...then when I'd given up and finally ready to go to sleep this hellish greenlight, a fire alarm, can't be switched off except that the reception will kindly come up and ducttape over it...so then, while sitting their in my pj's, a very nice fellow diligently taped over the greenlight,.. I have stayed in 3 starhotels with larger and higher quality rooms, only the people are of 5 star quality...

3  Thank DutchBusinessman

Dear Guest,

After reading your comments regarding your disappointing stay with us at the Montcalm London City, may I firstly thank you for your honest feedback. We treat all feedback, both positive and negative, very seriously.

I am sorry that your experience was less than satisfying. We are very honest in how we offer these single rooms as some people love them and some do not. Therefore we provide a detailed description and we ensure that all guests know the beds are actual single beds. The Montcalm London City is known to have a great variety of rooms that are quite spacious; therefore, it disappoints us that we didn’t make a positive impact whilst you were staying us.

On a separate note, we thank you for your praising words about our very attentive and service orientated staff.

We hope to see you soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

First of all the staff in this hotel were always more than helpful, I cannot express this anymore! The hotel itself is perfect, clean and tidy rooms, perfect bathroom and shower, all the amenities that you could want (which are all explained upon check in) I would highly recommend this hotel above most, will definitely be staying here again, thanks!

Dear Guest,

I am truly pleased to hear that you have very much enjoyed your stay at The Montcalm London City.
We genuinely look after all of our guests and I am glad to read that the whole team has achieved its aim.
We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Haven't been here for some months but was glad to be back. Very nice rooms and good ambience. One of the best things is the staff - always friendly and helpful. I struggle with my walking and whenever I parked after work on my 3 night stay, there was someone there to either help me across the road or to just greet me outside. Nice tea and coffee supplies and a bottle of water - although mini bar charges are high.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
StevenSands, Hotel Manager at London City Suites By Montcalm, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Herts,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent visit and we are very happy, that the Montcalm London City with its facilities and services were up to your satisfaction and that you enjoyed your stay with us once again.
I was glad to read your comments about our friendly and attentive team and we are already looking forward to welcome you back.