“Excellent”

Ranked #376 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Shropshire / UK
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

Could not believe our luck Great Hotel door staff very helpful great for girly London weekend would be happy to return there. Slept well loved the little extra touches made us feel special. Receptionist could have been more friendly but other staff made up for it helping us book events ahead and giving us directions.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Oswestrian
StevenSands, Hotel Manager at London City Suites By Montcalm, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for this wonderful review!
We are glad to hear that you had a great experience here at the Montcalm London City!
We are looking forward to welcome you back again!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Turkish first
Ramat Hasharon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

We came for a 4 nights stay, booked a deal through their website for a Deluxe Double Room.
Total was 515gbp so about 130gbp per night (just the room, no food), at April 2012.
Room number we got is 212 which is second floor and it faces the dental clinic in the main street (Chiswell).

Price wise - For London it's not too expensive from the little research I've done.
Though my personal feeling is this level should really cost around 100~110gbp per night.
Couldn't find something like that in this quality and location.

There's some confusion about this hotel location/name, seems it's part of the Montcalm Brewery hotel, by the photos seems like it's actually the exact same hotel only they price it differently (this one is cheaper), but London City Suites isn't mentioned anywhere in print or in the hotel, so tell your cab driver to look for the Montcalm Brewery, there's a big flag with that name.

Stuff I liked and also made me choose this hotel:
* They responded real quickly to my few email inquiries, usually within an hour or so, while other hotels took 2 days and lost me as a customer.
* I asked for the Minibar to be emptied in advance and so it was.
* We arrived quite late at night (around 1:45am) and there's was no problem checking in, there was even a doorman to carry our bags.
* Free internet (WiFi and Lan too for laptop) - it was also surprisingly fast, I got rates of 2000-4000kb/s from newsgroups servers. No hassle of protected WiFi, just free as it should be.
* The safe is big enough for the laptop, it even has an electrical outlet and a led inside.
* You have the TV connectors on your work desk, including HDMI, so if you have the proper cables you can connect your Laptop / Phone or other gadgets to the tv easily directly from the desk near the bed, and see your own content on the TV, just like you do at home - Worked quite well. There's also an outlet which isn't in the UK standard if you don't have an adapter.
* Room design - top notch.
* CLEAN - No issues there, room was made each day with fresh new towels replaces.
* There's a free teapot and tea supplied. A good hair dryer.
* Temperature was comfortable inside although it was quite cold outside.

A few quirks that could have been nicer and cost it the 5 points:
* SIZE - The room (again 212) is smaller than expected, I knew it might be so though, I think it's the smallest room I ever had in a hotel, and I've traveled around the globe. For the price/location though I guess it does the job.
* NOISE - Street can be a LITTLE noisy, doesn't seem like they replaced the original windows there, it wasn't too bad though, didn't bother our sleep. We didn't notice hallway noise either.
* LIGHTS - I like my room to be pitch black when I go to sleep, there were a few lights I couldn't shut off in the room (green leds and the LG TV) and also there's a gap under the entrance door so the bright hallway leds also shine in - Solved that by putting a towel each night at the door.
* BED - Mattress is quite soft and the bed is real high - it didn't feel so safe, and I've had better beds, still it wasn't a deal breaker.
* BATH - Again kinda small to put all your products. And the 3 knobs at the shower can be confusing (and I'm a VERY logical person) seems quite redundant, water pressure seemed weak (plenty of water but with no strength to it) - Though always plenty of hot water.

As for the location:
Close to the Moorgate and Barbican tube stations (5min) which can connect you easily to most important locations.

It's very business oriented location, so you won't find places open late, we tried finding a place to eat Thursday at 11pm after seeing a play, and were declined at all places we found open nearby. The hotel does offer room service, but we didn't try it. During normal hours you can find a few places around to eat in, there's also an "Eat" food chain down the road on Chiswell where you can find a decent breakfast for a normal price (about 5gbp).

There's a Waitrose supermarket right around the corner (on Whitecross St), where you can stock up with all your food/drink/fruit needs.

A relative of mine ordered a package on my name to the hotel and it was received and given to me without any issues.

We didn't check other hotel facilities and didn't need their assistance with anything, but they seemed always willing and available.

In short, it makes for a very nice experience and good choice for London, I'm just picky that way :-)

Room Tip: 212 has some street noise as these are old windows and sits above Chiswell st. Maybe it's bett...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ranchu12
Dear Ranchu,

Thank you very much for these detailed feedbacks and the compliments. We appreciate your time and effort.
We hope to welcome you back again soon!

london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012 via mobile

I booked again after staying here just before Christmas. And will do again. I am just adding a little bit of knowledge based on my recent visit. I stayed in room 203. It is on the "main" road and the room is not double glazed so it gets a little noisy, I say main road but it isn't a very busy road, however, from about 6.30 the noise picks up. Second point is you are near the lifts so you hear "lift going up" a lot, you don't notice at first but once you do...
But you are in central London so you have to expect some noise.
Minor complaint was I could not get some of the TV channel including BBC1 or BBC News, I watched them on line but a little frustrating as I had to ration viewing as my iPad was low on charge. It was early morning so I wasn't rushing to call reception.

But I will stay here again and I recommend it highly.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank django2000
Dear Django,

Thank you very much for this nice review and for your time and effort.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused to you due to the noise. We also have quieter rooms which are not facing the main road, please try one of these next time you decide to stay with us.
It was a pleasure to welcome you back again and we hope to do it again soon!

Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

Overall, this hotel was a great stay. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. The woman at the front desk who checked us in actually walked us into our room to show us around and how to work things like the 'service room' and 'do not disturb' buttons near the front door. The room was the perfect size for two of is and our rather large suitcases. The rain shower felt great after a long day covering London by foot, and the room had an automatic room deodorizer that made the room smell fresh and clean each time we walked in. A plate and fruit and a bottle of water greeted us on our first day, as well. The hotel is in very close walking distance to two Underground stops which is very convenient. Always felt safe walking around the neighborhood the hotel was in- however, it is in the business district so many food, coffee, etc., places were not open on the weekends. Come Monday morning, the area around this hotel was buzzing with people.
Highly recommend this hotel to business travelers, couples, families, and individuals.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Abby L
StevenSands, Hotel Manager at London City Suites By Montcalm, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Dear Abby,

Thank you very much for your wonderfull review, we very apreciate your compliments.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience here at the Montcalm London City, and that you liked the room and the facilities.
We would love to welcome you back again soon!

Southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

Great hotel.
I booked through their website and booked a winter warmer deal which was extremely good value for money. My room (119) called a Club room i think may have been suitable for disabled guests as it was very spacious and had disabled bathroom facilities.

Upon entering i was greeted by the door staff and the staff at reception were very polite. Check in was easy i was then shown to my room by a porter who showed me the rooms amenities.
The room itself was fantastic. Very large room with a decent size and very comfortable bed. The room has everything you might need, ironing board, hairdryer, wifi, safe etc.

Bathroom was great with an incredible rain shower and looked very modern.

Location wise it's good. Not in the tourist centre but Barbican tube and moorgate tube are 5 mins walk away which can get you to wherever you need in London in minutes.
Theres a number of good bars and Restaurants nearby too head onto City road where moor gate station is. There's a Gaucho's near liverpool st station which is fantastic.

Only 2 minor complaints about this hotel:

- It needs double glazing. The traffic noise wasn't too bad, it definitely didn't hinder sleep at all. It picked up slightly around 8.30am (fri morning rush hour) and when the odd large truck drove by it would rattle the single glazed window a little.
This wasn't too extreme but could do with attention in the future

- Fruit! Theres loads of free fruit in the room however when my girlfriend bit into the apple it was rotten at the core.

Overall a fantastic hotel and i would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wakeboardengland
StevenSands, Hotel Manager at London City Suites By Montcalm, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We value your feedback and your comments have been taken on board.

Kind Regards
Steven
Fribourg, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

I always look for new addresses in the City of London as I have to go there very often and did not yet find the "perfect" hotel in this area - for this reason, I also tried the London City Suites. The location is very good, and the building - an old brewery - is funny and very "labyrinthine". The rooms are OK, even though they have infamously soft mattresses where you may disappear during the night. I don't know how many guests got lost there since they opened the hotel ;-).

The Montcalm tries to be a very fashionable, high-class hotel - nevertheless, there are significant flaws in the service quality: my first impression of the reception was checking in at an Aeroflot counter before the fall of the iron wall, my impression of the breakfast service was of the same kind - and they forgot to remove a dirty room service platter close to my room for more than 24 hours - I saw it at least 10 times ...

Fortunately, I had a very good time in London, therefore, I had a quite mild view on these flaws ...

Nevertheless, I'd recommend to the hotel manager to change the mattresses (and to put ONE mattress in a king size bed, not two with a Grand Canyon in between), and to really improve the effectiveness, effectivity, commitment and friendliness of the staff. This would change everything.

PS: a very positive fact: 4 hours after check-out, I noticed that I forgot my valuables in the safe. I recovered everything - including a detailed inventory of what' I've left there - that was remarkable!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank CarosassoneCH

Kind Regards
Steven
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

The double room was very roomy for London, and the prices were reasonable for London (roughly 200$ a night) and for a four-star hotel. The rooms compare favorably to the Sofitel chain in terms of quality for example. Wifi is free which is rare for such an hotel and very fast. I got a free fruit plate and a bottle of water when I checked in at 10AM in the morning.

The restaurant breakfast buffet is a tad expansive at 22 pounds (roughly 35$) but that is to be expected at that hotel level. There is an Eat restau next door which allows more reasonable breakfast anyhow.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
StevenSands, Hotel Manager at London City Suites By Montcalm, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Dear Klear,

Thank you very much for your review. We all very apreciate your feedback.
We are glad that you liked your room and the facilities.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again soon!