“Amazing food and atmosphere”
Review of The Blackfriar

The Blackfriar
Ranked #461 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City of London
Description: A member of the iconic fleet dating back to 1873, Nicholson's offers timeless British pub hospitality. A fine stock of smooth and silky cask ales are pulled at the bar, while homely British classics are served in the dining room. The carefully chosen wine list brings together some great international bottles, while a Cask Ale Club is offered for any true beer aficionados.
Reviewed December 4, 2013

It was an amazing traditional pub with excellent food and atmosphere with a great history...we went twice during our stay in London. The fish and chips were the best we had. We also loved the bangers and mash, the pies( esp the chicken and mushroom) and desserts...Definitely will be back and would recommend to anyone!! Super easy to get to as well...circle and district line to blackfriars and its right outside the entrance.

There are newer reviews for The Blackfriar

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Superb traditional pub with excellent food. The fish and chips are brilliant. Service was very good and the atmosphere was truly original English! Well worth a visit and don't be surprised if you stay longer than you thought!

Reviewed November 14, 2013

We try this pub on our first day in London. Pretty original pub. I liked the decor and the food was very good, my first fish and chips in England and the beer was excellent. I had the idea to stay there all night, but we were very tired and jetlag. I would certainly return when we go back to London.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Second visit in six weeks cos I liked it so much the first time. Helped also that I got some vouchers giving me a fiver off food and a pint for a pound!

Didn't book but found a space at a small table. Staff were friendly and helpful and food arrived quickly. I really like the fish n chips here - certainly superior pub food. Reasonably priced.

Fab selection of real ales.

Pub interior is brilliant and worth going just to look at the ceiling!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

It's decades since I visited this pub, but as we were nearby I thought I'd introduce my wife and daughter to this delightful Art Nouveau gem. In past times it was very beautiful, but cold, dimly lit and a trifle unwelcoming. It died at night when the office workers went home.

How things have changed! What we found was a bustling, warm, friendly and, more to the point, well lit, pub. The surroundings haven't changed but the ambiance certainly has.
We didn't have time to sample anything on the menu but it looked to be pretty standard pub grub - the diners seemed to be enjoying it.

As a real ale drinker I am pretty familiar with the majority of brews that are usually on offer but I found myself confronted by an array of ales that were unfamiliar to me. Seeing my hesitation the barmaid asked if I'd like to sample any of them. Now that's a sign of a really good pub. And they even found me a dimpled mug! (They're getting quite rare these days.)

Unfortunately I now no longer live close enough to use the Blackfriar regularly, but whenever I'm in London in the future it will be the first place to which I'll head. Needless to say, my wife and daughter loved it as much as I do.

1  Thank Jongleur