“Back in Black!”

Ranked #474 of 22,853 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: City of London
Description: A member of the iconic fleet dating back to 1873, Nicholson's offers timeless British pub hospitality. A fine stock of smooth and silky cask ales are pulled at the bar, while homely British classics are served in the dining room. The carefully chosen wine list brings together some great international bottles, while a Cask Ale Club is offered for any true beer aficionados.
Galashiels, United Kingdom
“Back in Black!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Second visit in six weeks cos I liked it so much the first time. Helped also that I got some vouchers giving me a fiver off food and a pint for a pound!

Didn't book but found a space at a small table. Staff were friendly and helpful and food arrived quickly. I really like the fish n chips here - certainly superior pub food. Reasonably priced.

Fab selection of real ales.

Pub interior is brilliant and worth going just to look at the ceiling!

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
Gloucestershire, England
“An Art Nouveau gem.”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

It's decades since I visited this pub, but as we were nearby I thought I'd introduce my wife and daughter to this delightful Art Nouveau gem. In past times it was very beautiful, but cold, dimly lit and a trifle unwelcoming. It died at night when the office workers went home.

How things have changed! What we found was a bustling, warm, friendly and, more to the point, well lit, pub. The surroundings haven't changed but the ambiance certainly has.
We didn't have time to sample anything on the menu but it looked to be pretty standard pub grub - the diners seemed to be enjoying it.

As a real ale drinker I am pretty familiar with the majority of brews that are usually on offer but I found myself confronted by an array of ales that were unfamiliar to me. Seeing my hesitation the barmaid asked if I'd like to sample any of them. Now that's a sign of a really good pub. And they even found me a dimpled mug! (They're getting quite rare these days.)

Unfortunately I now no longer live close enough to use the Blackfriar regularly, but whenever I'm in London in the future it will be the first place to which I'll head. Needless to say, my wife and daughter loved it as much as I do.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Jongleur
sydney
“Worth a look alone”
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Quite an experience visiting this pub. Plenty of history. Place tidy drinks nice but staff just ok....

NYC
“Nice little pub”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This pub has a nice/historic interior. It has the typical/classic pub feel. The menu is good - I had the chicken and mushroom pie and it was delicious. This is a great place for a snack or late night food and a great place to grab a drink.

Godalming, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Went with an American friend and I must say everything was great. Excellent service and good food and of course the interior is wonderful. Really super place.