“great way to spend a day”

The Royal Air Force Museum London
Ranked #38 of 1,725 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: If you're searching for something different why not take off to Colindale and navigate your way through the history of aviation from the earliest balloon flight to the latest Eurofighter? This world-class collection of over 100 aircraft, aviation and wartime memorabilia offers a fun day out for all the family. Don't forget to visit our awe inspiring sound and light show that takes you back in time to the Battle of Britain. Better yet admission to the museum is free of charge. The Museum is open daily from 10am to 6pm.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My partner is involved in aviation so this was a must visit for us. We found it easy to find from the tube station although it is a little away from the station itself. I really thought I would be a little bored by it but found it really interesting and very well put together. The different presentation methods keep the museum fun and found myself engrossed by the paintings of some of the W W 2 pilots. The cafes were very good and welcome rest for the poor feet which did get a little tired and heavy as it is a large area to cover. A good pair of comfy shoes are to be recommend

Reviewed July 18, 2014

The RAF museum won't be particularly convenient for many visitors to London. You need to commit about an hour by underground and walking to get there. Once you exit the station, it's about a 10 minute easy walk.

Don't let the time commitment dissuade you - the museum is one of the best of its kind I have ever visited. Although they are renovating a number of exhibits which was disappointing, there are many others, and a vast array of planes and helicopters to keep the interest of even the most flighty child.

Admission is free which was a nice surprise.

In reading other reviews, several commented on the lack of food options. We almost missed it but in a separate building, which houses the Battle of Britain exhibit (which should not be missed) is a cafeteria with many more options than the small stand in the main hall. Make sure you hit both the BOB exhibit and the cafeteria which features many war posters.

About an hour to get there. Another for your return. And, you need at least a couple of hours there. All in all, time well spent.

1  Thank Chef_Baboo
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Plenty to see for everyone ... my partner is seriously interested in but I also enjoyed looking around the museum ... lots to see with amazing original planes etc

Reviewed July 15, 2014

I recently attended the RAF Museum at Hendon and it was my first visit. I travelled by car from the north on the A1. The website suggested a postcode for Sat Nav which was helpful but had I not had one, I would have got hopelessly lost. There are no signs on the road to guide you to the attraction. Once inside, the static displays are set out quite randomly and as such no order to them. The kiosks telling you what you are looking at were all not working as was the lift to the upper floor. Very poor. The cafeteria was expensive. Over £15 for a very small lunch for two with warm glasses, warm drinks and no provision to supply ice. The hand dryers in the toilets were pathetic and couldn't dry hands. There was a whole hangar that was closed to the public too. This should have been displayed on the website to prevent travelling unnecessarily and also a notice before you walk in. I would like to go back to see if my experience was a one off but I doubt it somehow. To summarise:- take your own food, call before you go to see if everything is open don't expect a Duxford class of aviation museum. But it was free so that's a bonus

3  Thank nick r
RAFMuseum, Marketing Manager at The Royal Air Force Museum London, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Thank you for your review. We have read it and taken on board the comments that you have made.

As an organisation we are very conscious of how important it is that visitors travelling to us reach us quickly and efficiently. Accordingly, we have invested in an additional 15 AA signs to direct members of the public to the Museum as well as working with Barnet Council to ensure that the brown and white tourist signs that guide people to us are well maintained and kept in a good condition. We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the difficulties that you encountered in reaching us and will review how to improve our street signage.

We would also like to take this opportunity to remind those potential visitors who intend using SATNAV to reach us to input post-code NW9 5QW to get here as our official post-code NW9 5LL has been incorrectly indexed by some systems.

In terms of our Grahame-White Factory being closed, there are several notices on our website about this : in the Plan Your Day area for the London Section of the site and on each listing for our First World War Aircraft, as well as in the London News Section. Also there are two 2 metre high signs by the museum's Main Entrance that state that the Grahame White Factory is closed until late Autumn for the construction of our latest exhibition ' The First World War in the Air'.

Again, we will review how to make these notices more prominent for the public to view.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We value the input that we receive from all our visitors.

Kind regards,

The Royal Air Force Museum

Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

What can I say, absolutely awesome.
I went with my son expecting it to be OK at best due to it being free! But it was amazing. How they can provide such a big display of aircraft and no cost is beyond me.
Well worth a visit.