“one of the best”

Ranked #71 of 1,815 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: If you're searching for something different why not take off to Colindale and navigate your way through the history of aviation from the earliest balloon flight to the latest Eurofighter? This world-class collection of over 100 aircraft, aviation and wartime memorabilia offers a fun day out for all the family. Don't forget to visit our awe inspiring sound and light show that takes you back in time to the Battle of Britain. Better yet admission to the museum is free of charge. The Museum is open daily from 10am to 6pm.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 7, 2014

This has to be one of the best museums of its kind in the country. easy to find plenty of parking' the halls are full of stunning exhibits all well displayed with anough info to keep you interested.Top tip on no account eat in the café it is truly the worst food ive eaten anywhere.

1  Thank millersboy
Write a ReviewReviews (3,022)
All reviews
in 28 reviews
"rainy day"
in 37 reviews

Reviewed May 4, 2014

I have been to the RAF Museum at Hendon (London) several times, and it always amazes me.

I love the 'First 100 years of aviation' wall panel, the Spitfires, Tornados and Harriers on display, and the amazing Halifax bomber rescued after being under the sea for decades.

Amazing piece of history in a world-class museum.

1  Thank fenofonts
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I had a bit of time to kill in town by myself so I thought I would visit the RAF Museum in Colindale. We used to go there fairly regularly when I was a child but that was a few years ago and I can't really remember much about it. Very easy to get there from the tube, just a short (10 mins) walk, well signposted. The pedestrian gate was closed with many loops of chain which was a bit irritating as it entailed a bit more walking (Which I don't mind at all except it was pouring with rain). First pleasant surprise: I went to the desk to pay my admission to be told it was free entry. Speechless! I processed slowly through the various hangars, seeing pretty much all the significant aircraft from WW2 and a fair few from WW1 and many iconic post war planes including a Vulcan bomber. As well as the Lancaster and several different marks of Spitfire there were some rather rarer specimens such as A Bristol Beaufighter, a Mosquito and, something I have certainly never seen before, a Fairey Battle. Altogether an excellent exhibition which kept me engaged for several hours on a wet day. Negative points: Many of the interactive stations were out of order and several of the other halls / exhibitions etc were closed or roped off. Nonetheless there is plenty to interest you for several hours and, to be honest, if there was much to see many people would probably start to glaze over. Also at least one of the wheelchair lifts was out of service which did not affect me but I would suggest a phone call in advance if you are in a wheelchair. The cafe is a bit rudimentary, but it is right in with the planes so makes for a very atmospheric coffee. I seem to remember from my childhood that there used to be a Sunderland flying boat outside the museum which was conspicuously absent which is a shame and also I thought there was a Wellington bomber which was not in evidence. A number of the text boards by the aircraft were a bit dated (Referring to the Tornado as being the backbone of the RAF is a bit out of date now) but mostly the information was pitched about right. All the relevant stuff, a few dtories but not so much information that it all gets a bit much!

Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Doesn't have any of the big budget slickness of somewhere like the VA/science museum/British museum - but the 80's feel is surpassed by the incredible planes and helicopters on show.