“Interesting even for non-aviation buffs”

The Royal Air Force Museum London
Ranked #38 of 1,679 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: If you're searching for something different why not take off to Colindale and navigate your way through the history of aviation from the earliest balloon flight to the latest Eurofighter? This world-class collection of over 100 aircraft, aviation and wartime memorabilia offers a fun day out for all the family. Don't forget to visit our awe inspiring sound and light show that takes you back in time to the Battle of Britain. Better yet admission to the museum is free of charge. The Museum is open daily from 10am to 6pm.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Since we have visited London twice previously, I was looking for some different things to see on our most recent visit. My husband enjoys watching the Military Channel (in the US) and their programs on WWII, so I planned a visit to the RAF Museum. Even though I am not much for military history, I was quite impressed. The collection of aircraft on display is really wonderful, extending across five buildings. When we visited mid-week at the end of November, it was quiet and almost empty. There is so much to see here - we spent several hours, but you could easily spend much more time than that. We really recommend this museum - it was one of the highlights of our trip.

Side note- if you are a tourist with a Zone 1-2 travelcard, you will need to pay a supplement as I believe Colindale is Zone 4. Oops, but the attendant at the tube station was in holiday spirits and he let us through both coming and going. Thank you! Also, the museum is about a 10+ minute walk from the tube station.

1  Thank themice
There are newer reviews for The Royal Air Force Museum London

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I have regularly visited IWM Duxford since a child, but this year we decided to give the RAF Museum at Hendon a try. What a brilliant day (or should I say two)!!!!! I dont know why I havent visited it sooner. We decided to take our two year old nephew along with us.
The museum is broken down into separate exhibition areas. The first exhibition area you come to is full of aircraft from different eras, from the very first plane through to the F-35. There are lots of interactive screens where you can view videos of the planes or find out more info. The next hanger is full of bomber aircraft. Theres a small section dedicated to the Dambusters inside. I was amazed to see so many aircraft inside (Vulcan, Tornados, Lancaster, Spitfires, F4, B25 etc). There is a small restaurant and gift shop inside the hanger as well. The hanger is also home to the childrens play/ educational area. Our 2 year old nephew loved this.
Next up was the WW2 hall. Again the hanger is full of aircraft and each display has loads of information to read. I was pleased to see a Bristol Blenheim there as this was what my grandad worked on during the war. Sadly he never got to see the one being restored at Duxford many years ago.
Well worth a day out for adults and children. There are so many aircraft on display and theres so much to do. Even if you arent into aircraft this is well worth a visit. We actually went back a couple of weeks later as we didnt get to see all of the museum. We will certainly be back again soon. Oh did I mention that the museum is FREE!!!! There is a very small charge for the car park (I think it was about £2)

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Took some time to get there but evenso, easy to find. A fantastic place where attention to details was immaculate. Intrestingly, enemy aircrafts were given equal space and described in a neutral manner. Sometimes even from quiet admiration. (The Messerschmitt 262 C for instance).
So many planes and a nice gift shop as well. A good cafe with reasonable pricing was situated in the middle of it all. The only thing that really wasn´t up to standards were the films on display in the separate room and the so called simulator, which was something mimicking the train ride from central London more or less. Other than that, my son (14) and I thought it was "epic"!!

1  Thank 982jan
Reviewed December 10, 2013

As a Londoner I didn't have much trouble finding this superb museum. However, if it were located nearer central London I'm sure the RAF museum would be better known with more tourists. Even I was unaware of it's existence until I came across it by chance on the web. With absolutely dozens of aircraft & vehicles from the two world wars & free entry this is a 5 star museum without doubt. My photographs -(daveyboy) show the super displays within the large hangar. Allow 3 hours to see & photograph everything.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

I have visited this museum and its companions, Bomber Command and Battle of Britain several times. Last visit was 2 or 3 years ago. Excellent presentations and anyone who likes airplanes should take the tube out to Hendon and visit the museums.

1  Thank James C