“Wow! What a great find.”

The Royal Air Force Museum London
Ranked #35 of 1,616 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: If you're searching for something different why not take off to Colindale and navigate your way through the history of aviation from the earliest balloon flight to the latest Eurofighter? This world-class collection of over 100 aircraft, aviation and wartime memorabilia offers a fun day out for all the family. Don't forget to visit our awe inspiring sound and light show that takes you back in time to the Battle of Britain. Better yet admission to the museum is free of charge. The Museum is open daily from 10am to 6pm.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator
Pretoria, South Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Wow! What a great find.”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Their website does not do the museum justice. My husband was so impressed by the aircrafts at this museum, it is a must see for all males young or old when travelling to London even for the wives that tag along you will not be bored. The best of all the entrance is free, they also give excellent directions on how to get there via the tubes.

Visited May 2013

22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Simply incredible”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I visited so many amazing places on my one month tour of the UK and Germany but this was certainly one of the highlights. What an incredible collection of aircraft and aviation history. We were lucky to visit on Veterans day so this added to our fabulous experience. We were so very impressed. I saw so many kites that I have only seen photos of before. My father was shot down by a Ju 88 in WWII and here I actually saw an example of one. If I listed all of the installations I saw that made my jaw drop I would be here a while. Needless to say .... We will be back next trip.

Visited April 2013
Holon, Tel Aviv, Israel
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great display of many aircrafts”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Really enjoyed that Museum!
Great display of many aircrafts of all time.
Free of charge
a bit far from the center of london (zone 4) but well worth the effort.
One of my favourite attractions in London.

Visited June 2012
Wallington, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A day with the roundals”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

A place for youn and old, Some great planes to look at. great exhibitions you get the feel of being there

Visited September 2012
Fareham, United Kingdom
177 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 160 helpful votes
“Superb Collection of Aircraft”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Accepting that this type of museum is generally for those with an interest in aircraft I feel that anyone can visit it to appreciate what is an excellent collection, with many great aircraft from the history of the RAF. First the location is not one that you would perhaps associate with this type of museum, but there is ample parking based on a pay and display basis, £2.50 for 3 hours and £3.50 for 3 hours plus. The museum has free entry though which gives access to four main hangers which to see all the aircraft, takes approx' 4 hours as a minimum. There was one main restaurant (we didn't use) and one café which we had a hot drink which seemed reasonably priced. Now for the important bit, as stated the museum has a excellent collection, from the earliest Bleriot to a Eurofighter, however I feel the aircraft from WW2 standout, particularly the Avro Lancaster. All the aircraft are accompanied with detailed information, some with remarkable histories and I am sure there is something of interest for all. This museum reflects an important era of our history, with a focus on 'Our Finest Hour', a museum that not only has a great collection, but is informative and has free entry!

Visited May 2013