“RAF Hendon - A great place to visit”

The Royal Air Force Museum London
Ranked #33 of 1,589 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: If you're searching for something different why not take off to Colindale and navigate your way through the history of aviation from the earliest balloon flight to the latest Eurofighter? This world-class collection of over 100 aircraft, aviation and wartime memorabilia offers a fun day out for all the family. Don't forget to visit our awe inspiring sound and light show that takes you back in time to the Battle of Britain. Better yet admission to the museum is free of charge. The Museum is open daily from 10am to 6pm.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
London
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“RAF Hendon - A great place to visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

I can't count how often I have visited this place over the years. It's sobering to think that when I started going there it was surrounded by open fields.

I have enjoyed spending whole afternoons there on my own carefully taking in all the information. I've enjoyed bringing other friends interested in military history and I've been very pleasantly surprised to see that my two-year-old daughter loved it too. We went back when she was three and now another year on she is asking to go again.

Unfortunately on each visit with her I find more and more of the kids' zone interactive exhibits are out-of-order. That's a shame.

But it's still a great place to visit and I'll be taking my nephew there soon.

Visited June 2012

• Turkish first
Billericay, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great value, lnformative and entertaining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

This is an excellent place to visit for anyone with an interest in aviation. There are numerous planes of all types, times and sizes - from small gliders to Vulcan bomber. The only cost involved in my visit was £3.50 parking and an over-priced sandwich and coffee of £6.00. Entry itself is free and gives you access to 4 hangars full of exhibits.
I look forward to my next visit.

Santa Monica, California
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Far but good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

This museum is a bit on the outskirts and you have to walk a little less than a mile from the train station.

The museum is cool and have a few planes from the US.

Visited February 2013
RAFMuseum, Manager at The Royal Air Force Museum London, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Museum, we're glad that you found us cool and thank you for the high rating awarded to us. Whilst we are out of the centre of town, we are very conveniently located on the Edgware Branch of the Northern thanks to Colindale Underground Station which is approximately 25 minutes from Tottenham Court Road Station.

From outside Colindale Station there is a regular bus service, the 303, which run every 10 to 12 minutes and drops you off directly outside our Main Gates, which makes reaching us from Colindale Station slightly easier for those who would prefer not to walk from the Station to us.

Once again, thank you for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your visit.
Loughton, United Kingdom
“Brilliant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Had a fantastic family day out at the RAF Museum, London. An incredible collection of well displayed exhibits, free entry and a way too under-priced charge for parking, has ensured a return visit. Things we liked best included: The immense Vulcan bomber, The Short Sunderland walk-through, the Battle of Britain exhibit (make sure you see the "Our Finest Hour" show) and the kid's interactive area. Our 3 and 6 year old really enjoyed the interactive area, where there are lots of buttons to press and aircraft cockpits to play in! Being reliant on donations, they could easily justify charging at least a fiver for parking without batting an eyelid and it would still provide excellent value for money, imo.

Visited February 2013
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“We just keep going back...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Fortunately I am really interested in aircraft, but having first taken my children to this museum a few years ago, they just want to keep going back (they are now 8 years old)...we make several visits each year. The museum is free, only parking is now charged for.

It is great to be able to get up so close to such an impressive display of static aircraft in the main hangars and the Battle of Britain museum is really interesting also. There is a great display of RAF bombers and German WWII aircraft.

My children particularly like to spend time in the interactive area, which holds a number of flight related experiments. This seemed to be undergoing some change on our last visit in January 2013 and I really hope that some new exhibits are added and some of the older ones are perhaps refurubished rather than removed.

A great day out, we will certainly keep on going back...

Visited January 2013