“Another night in London” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grange White Hall Hotel

Grange White Hall Hotel
Ranked #587 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
“Another night in London”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

This is a nice hotel, very close to the British museum. My room, however, was not nice, so much so I complained about it in writing the next morning - I also told the receptionist, but I have had no contact whatsoever from the hotel.
My room was in the basement, almost no light and I discovered at 6am that it was also situated right near to the kitchen - you can imagine the noise !
The breakfast was very good, but I would never stay in this room again.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room in the basement.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

We had 3 double bed rooms for 4 nights and spent another night when we returned from our Europe trip. We booked the hotel through internet. The hotel is located just behind the British Museum, in fact they share a common back. It is about 5 minutes walk to either Holborn or Russell Square Tube Stations.
The room my wife and I had was on the first floor facing the main street. Since it was August the windows needed to be kept opened all the time, as there is no air conditioning. The room is so small that it does have enought space to accomondate a spare bed or a single chair, not that we need them. The matress was too soft and had a depression at the centre making it difficult for both my wife and I to have a good sleep.
Because we have to keep the window opened all the time to prevent the room being hot and stuffy, the noise from the street was very audible. At about 6 am the garbage truck will comes around to collect the gabbage and that is a guarantee to be more effective than an alarm clock.
Breakfast was good, we were served English breakfast for 2 out of the 5 breakfasts, the other 3 were continental.
We had problem leaving our luggages with the hotel when we checked out to visit Europe despite having a booking with the hotel for another night on our return. We were earlier told we could leave our luggages if we are were returning to stay at the hotel. When we were about to leave for theEuro Star Train Station, we were told by the Supervisor that we could not leave our luggages overnight at the hotel. What an unpleasant experience! After much insistence,we were allowed to and had to signed an indemnity letter. This was done in a way as if the hotel was doing us a great favour.
We visited Brussels for three nights, the hotel rooms we stayed in were at least twice the size and cost about a third as compared to this London hotel. Of course I am awared of the differences in hotels in this two cities but the differences are just too glaring.
Overall we were disappointed with this hotel, having paid for a 4 stars hotel that could not live up to its status

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Yoong_HS
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We spent two nights at this hotel, the room was hot during the night but we had a fan to cool things down, The location is great for getting in and out of the Central London and away from the midnight crowd! I had a nice stay and the staff were attentive and very helpful in making our stay comfortable - thanks !

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view for peace and quiet while staying here !
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Miinnie61
North Lincolnshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We spent two nights here in August, when it was very warm, but a fan was provided in the room and there was a big traditional window that stayed open, so kept the room cool. As some other reviews have said, the rooms are very small (or ours was), but it was functional with everything we needed: good selection of nice bathroom supplies, teas of different flavours/varieties, coffees etc, hair dryer, storage wardrobe, spare pillows, tv channels... so everything we needed.
The reception staff were very welcoming and friendly, and happy to store luggage after check out on the last day.
We didn't eat here (breakfast seemed pricey at £23-ish for cooked breakfast, per person) so we opted to eat out. There was a decent room service menu, but we didn't try this.
We had booked through lastminute.com and got a really good deal, so I had no complaints in terms of value for money (as a Top Secret hotel) - far better than other options in a similar price range. I would stay again for a similar price (under £100 per night) as the location was excellent for central London theatres, shopping and the British Museum.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GeorgeParrot
Anacortes, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Booked a single to meet up with family for a long weekend. Excellent location between the Russell Square & Holburn tube stations, at the side of the British Museum. The weather was quite warm. My room (room 4) was in the basement. The bedroom window was frosted for privacy and wouldn't open, while the bathroom window opened into an areaway, and was totally overlooked by staff & patrons on a terrace, so not exactly discreet. It would have been nice to open a window during the heat. I booked through booking.com, and although I had the same price as others in my party who booked separately, their rooms included a continental breakfast, while I would have been charged £17 or £20 for the same thing! so off to the nearby Pret for breakfast. I didn't mind too much, but it seemed a little unfair. The staff were very pleasant and helpful, but seemed extremely confused about when people were checking in and out, repeatedly trying to get my family out before their stay was over. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean, but the bathroom sink drained very poorly (basement?) which I reported to the desk to no avail.

Room Tip: I don't think room 4 is very good, but a single in London is often second best. It was quiet, bu...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Stayed one night on business this was my second stay at this hotel. The reception area and staff are pleasant and there is a well stocked bar and nice garden outside where you can enjoy a drink or snack.

My bedroom was a double on 1st floor and tiny, you could barely walk around the bed. It had two large windows that opened up from the floor, great ahi thought as the hotel has no air conditioning or fan, however the heavy curtains stopped any breeze and my room was positioned just above the outside beer garden, it was very noisy. I just thanked my lucky stars that it rained so the drinkers abandoned inside and I got some peace.

Bathroom also tiny but well stocked, room not very well laid out, the kettle lead for example was not quite long enough to reach the plug !

Breakfast is not included in the rate but was provided by my company, the price is expensive over £15 and not particularly good value for money, not a great selection of cereal, the cold buffet looked quite appetising but the hot food was not that hot, the egg yolks were smashed, the sausage undercooked and it was not particularly tasty. There was however a steady supply of tea and hot toast. I would not pay that much for this breakfast and would advise missing it and eating out.

I would stay here again but I would be asking for a much larger and quieter room and skipping breakfast.

The location though is superb, just around the corner from The British Museum, near Coventry Garden and near the tube.

Room Tip: Not over the beer garden at the back
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business