“Friendly - but just far too hot!”

Grange White Hall Hotel
Ranked #591 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Kingsbridge, England, United Kingdom
“Friendly - but just far too hot!”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

The hotel is in a lovely area, very friendly and lovely rooms. However the heat hits you like a sauna and there is no way to regulate it. I had to have my window open - even though it was October, but even that did not cool the room down enough. Even after a cold shower - it was difficult to sleep.
When I commented to the staff - it appears that it is set at deliberately hot temperatures -"because no-one likes to be cold".
I would not stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My boyfriend and I went to London for the secret cinema and thought we'd splurge to stay in a hotel to have some privacy. We went on lastminute to choose a secret hotel as I had done it before and had got some good deals. We paid £139 for a night so it wasn't exactly cheap. When we arrived at the hotel, the supposedly luxurious boutique hotel was very crowded and crammed because there were several workshops/courses going on and the reception area was tiny. We checked in, and got given a room in the basement, with little natural sunlight and the view was the back of the kitchen. It was boiling so we opened the window for some fresh air, and could just hear people shouting in the kitchen. It wasn't bothering us too much as we were going out anyway. What was really bad was, in the morning, we both got woken up by what sounded like elephants stomping above our heads. It turned out our room (No.4) was right below the restaurant so there were constantly footsteps and things being dragged about. We got woken up at 8 and couldn't sleep again until 10 something when the breakfast presumably fininished. Mind you, it was a Sunday and we had gone out til late the previous night so we really wanted a lie in. Just as we were falling asleep again, the house keeper knocked to ask if she could come in to tidy up. Hello? Don't they have a record of who's checking out? We muttered some energy to say 'no thanks' (and really what we wanted to say was 'go away'). The staff blatantly knew they hoodwinked us because when we checked out they didn't ask at all how our stay was. I bet they knew that if they asked, we would have told the truth! What a nasty treatment we got just cos we went through lastminute.co.uk!

Room Tip: Anything but Room No. 4! Avoid the basement!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Yoknapatawpha
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The location couldn't be better: in the quiet, leafy Bloomsbury area, close to the British Museum and the West End.. The hotel is situated in an elegant Georgian building and is beautifully furnished. The rooms tend towards the small; some of them are bijou to the point of being cramped. But the service is first rate and friendly. There is even a secluded garden where, on the rare occasions when the sun shines in London, you can enjoy a quiet drink. We've stayed here several times and would recommend it to anyone who wants convenience, elegance and good value.

Room Tip: Ask to look at the room first. Some are VERY small.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

What can I say, I am writing this review from my room having just recovered from the wall of heat and inability to open a window without assistance before wedging a magazine to keep it open.

Having ordered a fan to assist cool me down, and at the same time order an iron and board (and there was me thinking this was a business hotel) I have discovered that having plugged my laptop in to charge I need to remove the router or tv plug to obtain another socket.

To calm me down I have ordered two bottles of beer, nachos and a Thai chicken curry. Room service asked whether I wanted the bottles open or not, I thought not, assuming there would be a bottle opener available... no such luck. With regard for the food, I would suggest you think of the worst mexican and Thai restaurant you have ever had the misfortune to eat at, then think no, there must be somewhere worse in the world... and you would be right, it is here! All of that for £30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am now settling into a nights sleep on what must be one of the softest mattress in London hotel land. As the title of the review descibes, this hotel is that bad it motivated me to write this review. The only positive I would say is that despite the internet costing £20 for 24 hours, it is actually fast!

In short, £575 for three nights, its pretty poor, actually its not, its very poor. I have stayed in The Grange St Paul's before and thought I would give the chain another go - the service and food in that hotel is equally poor, and to make matters worse, ddespite it being an ultra modern building, you can not get a mobile signal anywhere - all in all I will never stay in a Grange hotel again and would not recommend any of them to you. Try the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge, I know I will be staying there on future visits.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Andrew M
warwick
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed in room 108. On the other side of one of the walls in this room are the tracks of the elevator shaft, which was constantly going up and down keeping us awake for most of the night. They really should not have made this area into a room because of this. The bed was barely larger than a single and far too soft. The room was so cramped and oppressive. Couldn't wait to get out of there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This hotel is in a fantastic location just off Russell Square, a couple of minutes walk from the British Museum. My bedroom was very small, but the bed was comfortable, the ensuite bathroom well equipped and smartly decorated and the whole room very clean. The location is noticeably quieter at night than other London hotels, with minimal traffic noise outside after 11pm. The room was warm, but the window opened easily to regulate this when needed.

Staff were friendly and attentive and couldn't have been more helpful when ordering taxis, looking after luggage etc. The room was made up promptly when I went out. Some of the bar and communal areas are perhaps in need of some renovation, and overall it isn't as hyper smart or chic as some, but I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Our room was tiny, but clean and decently furnished. It was overheated. Opening the window solved the problem. We looked out on a quiet garden courtyard. The staff were very nice and accommodating. We had dinner in the hotel 3 times over 10 days. We were usually the only patrons or among a few. Service was excellent and the food was very good for the price compared to places where we ate out. We also had high tea which was much better than one we were given at the Wallace. Fantastic location.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a courtyard view for quietness.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends