“Awful”

Ranked #198 of 823 Specialty Lodging in London
London, United Kingdom
“Awful”
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on a 2 day stop over in London and I wish I had paid the extra money and flew out straight away the first night I was dumped in a room next door to a group of noisy French students and all night they kept me up and the next night the staff put someone in my room who it turns out was a known psychiatric patient I will never return

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Nathan R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I love the place.

The staff were so friendly. Especially Glenn and Rachael. They made me feel at home immediately.

They made me feel so welcome and i would recommend this place to anyone.

The bar is very welcoming and the locals made me feel at home too.

I'm definitely coming back to London now.

• Stayed August 2013
CA
Reviewed August 4, 2013

So I enter the hostel. As usual I get to the place early like many people do. I want to put my luggage up, or at least trying to. No one was in line and I walked in with glasses on after having puffy eyes from the morning. "take off your glasses'' the first thing he said! he was not looking at my id, no checking me in..just "take off your glasses"..i asked why, so he could see me. He was a complete jerk! it didn't make sense. He just looked at me like I was disgusting. I don't know if he just hates black women, but what can I do. I tried to ask if I could store my luggage but if anyone got behind me he would ignore me. Anyhow, this was in the first 5 minutes. I still haven't checked in.. I guess the staff is amazing to whomever they like. Where is the..recommend for non black women button?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank levontra
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 24, 2013

One of the worst stays I had in a very long time and I've seen a lot of hostels! The rooms very so hot and sticky that sleeping wasn't really an option any more. The room I was staying (6bed female dorm) had only one tiny tiny window right at the top which didn't allow for any air circulation which meant the room was not only unbearably hot (I'd say about 40 degrees), there also was pretty much no breathable air there, O2 level = zero. The room I stayed in had no lockers although this was advertised. Turned out this used to be a staff room but they only recently turned it into a dorm. I asked to change into another room but was told that there was only another room available which apparently was just as hot. I later saw the room and turned out it was actually cooler but by that time it was already booked out. The staff wasn't really that helpful although they were very aware of the problem(s). There is no kitchen, just a common room in the basement which has seen better days, no microwave in their either. The "reception" area is right in the pub, so whenever you need something (check in, check out or other), you'll have to wait quite a while until someone can serve you. The bathrooms were mixed sex (male and female shared) and again, they were incredibly hot. Have a shower, step out and you are sweaty again. I've stayed in a lot of hostels around the world and as much as I want to find one good thing about this place, I can't think of anything.

I would never stay here again nor would I recommend it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank felicesss
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The staff was amazing and very friendly. The only thing I have to complain about is the cleanliness of the shower rooms and bathroom floors.
Love the luggage cages below the beds, and the key card system is very sophisticated. The chill room could smell better but hey, it's full of smelly travelers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with StudentUniverse

Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

I thought this place was brilliant! One of the best hostels Ive stayed in, and I've stayed in a lot. As a girl travelling alone as well- its great. The staff were super lovely, really friendly, polite, remembered my name and made me feel well safe and at home ( and good for a laugh). If i needed anything they went well out of their way- including one night... An icecream haha.
The place has great character, and the bar makes amazing burgers ( chicken cheese burger- get on it)

The showers are good too because the cubicle you enter; the shower is closed off from where you would change so unlike a lot of hostels your clothes stay dry easily.

Its also in a great location, as just down the road there are heaps of great quirky stores and independant designers as well as the greenwich markets, bars and restaurants. Its right next to the station ( but you dont hear the train) and the atmosphere was great- really easy to make friends if you are travelling alone too.

So glad i found this place, all the other reviewers are just complaining about silly things. Its a hostel- and i thought it was fantastic!!!. One of the best ive stayed in. And ive stayed in a lot! I'll be back for sure.

1 Thank Sallyann116
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at St Christopher's in Greenwich for one night with a friend and we shared a room with four other girls. The room was very spacious and bright and the beds were quite comfi. We especially like that fact, that you can lock your luggage in a big box underneath the bed.

The hostel is perfectly located in Greenwich and directly at the station, from where it only takes about 20 minutes to get to central London.

There is a nice DVD and chill-out room in the basement, perfect for backpackers that just was to relax for a bit and chill-out from the big city life.

All bath facilities were very clean and bright as well. There is even shower-gel in the showers.

The staff was very friendly when we checked in and explained everything we needed to know in detail.

The breakfast was basic, but just fine: Toast and cerials - all you can eat. Plus, you also have the option to order from a whole breakfast menu from the bar. Of course, that would cost extra, but it is nice to have the option.

A big plus is the location of the hostel right on top of Belushi's Bar. Even though, we were too exhausted that night to go out for drinks, it looked like a very nice bar with student prices and also some good meals on the menu.

Definitely recommendable!