“Would not recommend”

YHA London Earl's Court
Ranked #57 of 897 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed March 19, 2014

2 of my friends and I stayed at this hostel from a Friday to Sunday. The whole place smells of stale air and damp. The toilets stank and looked like they had not been cleaned for months. We tried to use them as little as possible. The room was ok, very basic. The toilets and shower were just outside our room so we kept waking up in the night by people using the toilet.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anna R
There are newer reviews for YHA London Earl's Court

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Room Tip: good if you don't mind sharing
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Caroline H, Manager at YHA London Earl's Court, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Reviewed February 26, 2014

great place and friendly staff.
quiet area of London, but still central. 5 minutes walk to underground and interner cafe. big and well fournished kitchen. bed toilet and showers clean. Staff very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: 6 beds bedroom
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
1  Thank Frederic J
Caroline H, Manager at YHA London Earl's Court, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Hi Frederic, thanks for your great comments, especially about our staff (I'll make sure to pass this onto them). Glad you enjoyed your stay with us, see you again soon!

Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

The sign outside here states that it's a 4* hostel...I'm not convinced it is. I've stayed in a lot of hostels, some of them better than expected and some just foul. This is in between but I would never have guessed it was a YHA. To me YHAs are that little bit more expensive but the standards are higher. Everything in here needs refurbishing. Downstairs was adequate but the bedrooms looked as though they hadn't been improved for 20 years and the bathrooms disgusting.

I wouldn't refuse to go here again but at £25 a night each for me and my partner, I'd prefer to spend £20 extra and get a travelodge.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank love2travl08
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I've spent a lot of nights in YHA places over the years, I'm glad this wasn't my first experience. They run a strange bed allocation system which seems to do nothing but cause distress and confusion. I was told to sleep in bed 1, there was someone in it. I slept in a different bed, came back to the hostel the next night to find someone in the bed I'd slept in the night before and someone in the bed I was supposed to be in. Reception didn't know what to do about this except to keep telling me I had to go and sleep in one of the occupied beds! Eventually got it sorted. The people waiting behind me had a similar issue and a new chap booking in was informed that while he would be in the same room for his four night stay he would have to move bed each night. Complete waste of everybody's time and must cost a fortune in uneccessary laundry. Staff not very friendly or helpful, particularly the manager. Room key card had to be recharged every other time I used it. Not enough electricity sockets. Corridors seriously need repainting.

The building is lovely and it has a garden, decent kitchen and two communal rooms. Shame about the management.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank HarveyNobum
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Stopped one night, just needed a place to sleep after a night out at a concert at the Royal Albert Hall. The hostel is easy to find, about 150yrds from the tube station, and a 'Boris bike' rack almost outside the front door. I found the check-in quick and efficient, room and bed allocated. Security is good, with electronic card required to access internal doors and the dorm room doors. A good spacious locker provided, just needs a padlock (available at reception if you forget to take one). The room was clean, and a reasonable size for the 7 beds. I did see what I thought to be a mouse trap in the corner of the room, but I didnt actually see a mouse or any evidence of mice! toilets and showers were spotless. The location of the hostel is great, just off Earls Court high street, so plenty of shops, pubs, takeaways, cafes, and restaurants to choose from (I particularly recommend Cafe du Coin, right on the corner, and The Blackbird just up the road). I wear earplugs when sleeping in this sort of place, so I didnt notice any noises and had a good nights sleep in a clean and comfortable bed.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I was working up in this part of London for a few days in November 2013. Last minute accommodation, what do you do, especially if you're on a budget? My Dad has been staying with the YHA for years while he hobos round the world...I've done it in Australia and Morocco but never thought to do it here. Do you know what? I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. OK, all you get is a bed...but it was fine; I felt safe, it wasn't noisy, the showers and WCs were good, staff pretty friendly. And this one is close to all the shops (which stay open LATE) restaurants and tube. I think it's a brilliant way to stay in the city.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
YHA London Thameside
Euston / Kings Cross /St Pancras
YHA London St Pancras
YHA London St Pancras
#23 of 897 in London

Been to YHA London Earl's Court? Share your experiences!