“Inexpensive Experience”

Ranked #64 of 861 Specialty Lodging in London
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Inexpensive Experience”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I was working up in this part of London for a few days in November 2013. Last minute accommodation, what do you do, especially if you're on a budget? My Dad has been staying with the YHA for years while he hobos round the world...I've done it in Australia and Morocco but never thought to do it here. Do you know what? I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. OK, all you get is a bed...but it was fine; I felt safe, it wasn't noisy, the showers and WCs were good, staff pretty friendly. And this one is close to all the shops (which stay open LATE) restaurants and tube. I think it's a brilliant way to stay in the city.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2013

It is cheap with a convenient location for my journey . The staff are easy going and where generally pleasant to speak to. The room was noisy both in and out ( I was sharing with 4 other people). The atmosphere was weird.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Lagos Nigeria
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I booked this hostel for my husband to stayover for a night. I wanted somewhere inexpensive but nice and he got just that. Lovely location, close to the station and good interiors. Nice lounges. Despoite beign a hostel, it also had the feel of a hotel. Recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 29, 2013

The location, staff and room quality is just right with the Earls Court YHA. I have stayed there at various times over the 2013 period during the week and cannot fault it - value for money = 11/10.

The staff are helpful and the kitchen well equipped for a hot meal and/or cold storage.

Less than a 5min walk to Earls Court tube station or walk to an M&S or KFC/McD

Room Tip: as usual.. 'go with the flow'!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank R8RRC
england
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I recently stayed for two nights with my husband, mum and four year old boy. We had thought we might not fit the normal demographic but in fact most of the guests appeared to be families or older adults, not the back packers we imagined. We had a triple and a twin with both rooms located on small corridors, right next to toilets and showers, of which there were plenty. The property itself is a little tired, but we found it to be clean and comfortable, and great value for money. The location is perfect, on a quiet residential road off the main high street, and within a few minutes walk of the underground, shops and restaurants. There are direct tubes to the main attractions so travelling with a child was pain free. We would definitely consider returning.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank hollys
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed here for three nights. The hostel isn't very pretty in places and does need updating but I would stay here again. The building is old, hence it has some quirks but I enjoyed the stay.

The reception staff were helpful and friendly and the room I was in, a four bed dorm, was clean and relatively comfortable - bunk did creak a lot when moving around! The lockers under the bunks weren't huge but big enough to lock valuables away in if needed.

Bathrooms where in the corridor - individual shower and toilet in one room. Clean and showers were hot enough.

I didn't use the SC kitchen but stuck my head in and it seemed to have everything you'd need.

There was a luggage room but it wasn't lockable, although there was also lockers for £2 that were big enough if you wanted a more secure place for your things.

The boards in the lounge and lobby had lots of information up - but need to be updated - the lounge one still had July information on it, and it's October!

5 minutes from Earl's Court Tube station, shops, takeaways and pubs on the road just by.

I'd stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank mylifetolead
Portsmouth
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Given my fond affiliation with YHA's, having stayed with a dozen or so around the world, it saddens me to find one which doesn't fit the standard which I have come to expect: and it's closer to home.

A small group and I met up for an annual conference and chose the YHA in Earl's Court as our base. The location is fantastic it must be said: a short walk to the end of the road and you're on the main stretch: full of bars, restaurants and a mere 5 minutes from Earl's Court Exhibition Centre and the tube station.

Arriving on the day we were due to check in, we were advised that the room we had booked (4 bed dorm, deposit paid some 8 weeks prior) already had two individuals moved in. This caused obvious confusion as we had arrived at 5pm, which I believed was early enough for the booking still to be valid before labelling as a "no show".

Furthermore when we asked what the alternative option was, we were told that two would move in with the two already allocated and the other half of the party to a six bed dorm, which had a spare bunk bed.

Now my scepticism aside, it appeared as though the mix up was due to the reception assigning two visitors to a room which they shouldn't have been; that being said, no other alternative was offered and no further option was given to resolve, the day after either. An apology would also have been expected as a minimum, but none was provided.

Adopting a positive attitude, we agreed that it wasn't to define our stay and we agreed to meet up outside of the hostel, so not to disturb our fellow guests.

Moving into the 3rd floor dorm (the floor is of importance), we unpacked and met our unexpected new neighbours for the weekend. After a long day travelling, we decided to use the facilities before heading out for the evening. The floor varies from the 2nd (where the party would have been originally assigned and where half resided) whereby toilets are separated from their showers. If anyone has stayed in shared facilities before, this can be a selling point, for those who like to take extended showers whilst other guests are bursting for the loo.

In this instance, it provided little comfort: the toilet was smaller than that of an aircraft's and not being tall in stature, even I had to negotiate the wall and the toilet bowl, in order to close the door.

The shower/wet room was larger (thankfully) but was poorly maintained: due to the lack of ventilation and incorrect materials used, the door had become rotten and fixtures had started to rust. Whilst this is of no particular fault to the hostel, lack of maintenance does send a certain message to visitors.

In comparison then and much to our disappointment, the other half resided in relative luxury, with a larger toilet space and adjacent shared wet room. These also appeared to be in a better condition (and more importantly all working – as the 3rd floor had a shower and toilet out of action).

With the above aside – which are still large blemishes against my overall experience it must be said – the beds were comfortable (we had bunks), we had clean bed linen and the rooms themselves had a sink and bin provided.

Shared areas were also well equipped – plenty of seating in the common area with a plasma tv mounted and BBC News at all times, a pay-as-you-go PC/internet station was available and a clean and well stocked kitchen area: all of which you would expect from a YHA.

As an overview then, I have to say the experience was a disappointment and unfortunately, in the areas which mattered the most. In comparison to YHA’s around the world and closer to home – the likes of Snowdonia and Regents Park, this seems to have been overlooked and could do with some much needed TLC.

I unfortunately will not be returning to this hostel in light of the above.

Room Tip: First or second floor only - third floor facilities are poor as the review describes.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alex L

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near London
YHA London Thameside
Euston / Kings Cross /St Pancras
YHA London St Pancras
YHA London St Pancras
#24 of 861 in London

Been to YHA London Earl's Court? Share your experiences!