“Cool Hostel with Wifi Internet”
Review of Hyde Park Hostel

Hyde Park Hostel
Ranked #656 of 923 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed February 27, 2009

The best part was that there was Free wifi internet in the lobby.
It was cool to meet people in the lobby area. There is a TV and people are bringing their laptop downstairs for the internet.

Staff were really nice and helpful.

5-10 min walk to the tube station "glucestor road" or "high kennsington"
Both are really good area to be around.
(grocery market: marks and spencer, whole food, tesco, etc)

Shower and toilet were in the room but it was very small.

Its a great place to hang out and also to meet new people from all over the wold!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed August 28, 2008

The Astor afforded good clean accomodation in a location which w.as second to none! No frills but what can you expect for the price? If you need a place to lay your head then the Astor is for you and you will be ideally placed to explore all the sights of London. The building is old and gracious but is being renovated and although it was small the room was modern and light.You can't be disappointed with a deal like this!

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank bensterPreston_UK
Reviewed August 6, 2008

I recently visited Hyde Park Hostel and I was pleseantly surprised to see it's new make over. I was a guest at this hostel last year and I must say that it was "okay", but with it's new fabolous make over I was super excited. It has over 300 rooms, all the interior has been refurbished, great vibe, great location and overall enjoyable. It looks GREAT....very cosmopolitan. Check it out.......

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank FunkyNaz
Reviewed June 19, 2007

Astor Hyde Park is a little grungy but if you just need a place to crash in London for one or two nights, it will do. The building is a little old and rundown: the first night I stayed in a large mixed dorm room with warped carpet, a (small) broken window pane, and a faucet that trickled all night long. The second room I stayed in was a little better. Aesthetically it was a little shocking at first sight, but I wasn't planning to spend much time in the hostel anyway, and it (just) met my minimum standards of safety and cleanliness. On a more positive note, the location is great (next to Hyde Park, and easily accessible by Underground), the bathrooms were clean, and the free breakfast is decent. The staff at the front desk was friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, twelve pounds for a hostel doesn't go as far in London as it would in some other cities, and in the future I would spend a little more to stay at one of the more comfortable hostels in London, but if you're really trying to economize and know what to expect from a hostel, AHP is acceptable.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends
4  Thank aixpat
Reviewed June 16, 2007

Good hostel and great location next to hyde park. Stayed here as went to festival in hyde park. Room was clean and so were toilets and showers. Stayed in '4 bed' room with another couple, was big enough for the night and there was also a sink in the room. Cost £15.00 each so was a bargain really!
Overall great place to stay as long as you are not expecting too much!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank alexleon
Reviewed April 5, 2007

The staff was super friendly and the location was amazing. The building is old, but pretty clean. The rooms have private sinks and the showers are pretty big for changing and showering. I would definately stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beepermad
Reviewed December 1, 2006

This is the second Astor Hostel I stayed at and it was far better than the first! (Leinster Inn) I was a bit weary of booking the place after the not so good conditions of the other Astor but I must say that I was glad that I went with it.

The staff at the Astor's Hyde Park were so extremely helpful and very friendly. Upon checking in, we (my friend and I) were told that since we were checking in pretty late, that there was a possibility of having to change rooms during our 4 night stay - we were not too crazy about the idea but after a look over reservations, the man at the front desk was able to place us in one spot for the 4 nights. (Which worked out great because we ended up with a cool bunk mate!) When just asking basic directions on how to get places, get linens, things to do, restaurants/pubs in the area, the staff was more than happy to help us and were always cheery. I think that this fact alone made my stay at the Hyde Park.

The quad room we had stayed in was...small.. - with 2 bunk beds on 1 side of the room; the other side just had a cloth wardrobe, small shelf, mirror and sink. It was enough room for 3 people, but got a bit crowded with 4 people on our last nite. There wasn't a lot of space for our belongings. If you're there with 3 other good friends it could be really fun... with strangers it could be bit awkward. The common room on the ground floor is super cozy with a plasma screen tv and tons of couchs to lounge out on. There is also a kitchen on the ground floor, washer/dryers in the basement along with dining hall (doubles as a smoke room when not serving breakfast) and a bar.

The restrooms were the downside. We were a little grossed out when we had heard... then saw... mushrooms growing in one of the restroom in between the 3rd and 4th floors. We just avoided that one entirely. Also another toilet on our floor - the one with a window for ventilation - didn't have a toilet seat; great for guys - bad for girls. What I did like was that the toilets and showers were seperate. The toilets were marked as red doors (and it was 1 toilet to each door - with 3 doors in one area) and the the showers (3 stalls) were marked with blue doors. * * My secret tip for the showers: The last shower stall is good because it has a window (I don't think it opened) but it has a ledge so you can put toiletry bag / shampoo / soap on it instead of resting it on the floor. There are hooks on the back of the stall doors for clothes.

Location for the Astor Hyde Park is great because it is 1 block south of Queensway where there are a ton of shops and restaurants. The Queensway tube station is closest to the hostel - literally 2 minute walk and the Bayswater tube station is 5 minutes away from that one down the street. There is also an internet cafe around the corner which is cheaper to use than the hostel - plus more computers. (Hostel only has 4).

I would recommend this place to other travelers on a budget. I had a great time at the Astor's Hyde Park and would stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends