“Filthiest place I've ever stayed in.”
Review of Hyde Park Hostel

Hyde Park Hostel
Ranked #655 of 923 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed February 27, 2012

If you're sense of smell isn't so good, you enjoy hiking up 6 flights of narrow steep stairs, if dirty, ripped carpet, windows that don't close properley, stairwell railings that are frail & breaking & watching cleaners use dirty mops & water to clean everything from the kitchens to the bathrooms, then this is the place for you! In my opionion it's unhygienic to use to same cloths to wipe the bathrooms & kitchens, just saying.

• Stayed: February 2012
4  Thank Dollypudding

Reviewed January 8, 2012

Went to stay in London for 3 night in November. Loved the location of this hostel- very safe area, but not cheap dining. Value of the hostel was great- we stayed in a 6 person room and everyone was very friendly. We liked that there was a bathroom in each room, not just one for the whole floor like there sometimes is with hostels. If you are used to this environment, you will love it here, but it is very much like a college dorm. I recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed December 27, 2011

We stayed here over Christmas and were less than impressed. We stayed in a private room which was so small, we kept tripping over our bags and ended up having to walk on the bed to get around.. The bathroom was only cleaned once during our 4 night stay! The bed was never made up and the towels never replaced. For £60 a night I would expect more. The staff as a whole were rude and unhelpful, and had a very high opinion of themselves! The kitchen was an utter pigsty around breakfast and dinner time. For Christmas they had arranged a lunch which was nice, but as soon as it was over the staff went upstairs for their own exclusive party.. We ended up going to bed at 6 pm because it was dead.. There are so many hostels in London, if you're looking for a fun time don't bother with this one!!

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank LittleSnuffy
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I stayed here in July for a week when I was travelling with my brother. It was easy to find, about a 10 minute walk from the station. I think a lot of poeple don't like how far the station is, but we knew this before booking and were only making the journer out in the morning/evening so it wasn't a bother. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Anything we needed to know they were happy to help with. We were on the second floor so had to carry our bags up. But again, we knew that this would happen and only had to do it once so it was fine. The rooms were always clean and the cages under the bad made it easy to store our bags. The location was beautiful...litterally a two minute walk to Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park. Breakfast was simple and easy. A few different cerals and toast...that's all I eat anyway. You can also store any food you buy in the fridge. The common room was spacious and comfortable, a good place to relax and watch some TV when we got home at night. For trying to travel on a bit of a budget, it was a great price and value for money. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2011

This has been the best hostel I've ever stayed at. It is in an excellent location in Kensington, which made me feel very safe at night. The hostel is only around the corner from the V&A Museum, The Natural Museum, Royal Albert Hall and Hyde Park. The nearest tube station is Gloucester, I have read reviews where people are not happy with how far away it is, but I didn't find it too far. 10mins walk. At the station there is a Waitrose, Tescos Express, Boots, KFC and more restaurants, so it was great I didn't have to worry about looking for great places to eat at reasonable prices.
The staff are very friendly, will answer any questions you have. Service with a smile....always, friendly bunch of people.
Under the bunk-beds are 'cages' where you can put your clothes and bags. At reception they sell really good quality locks for £5. I was lucky that I stayed in the first floor. There is no elevator but I guess that it is due to the building being old and stylish, like that of the rest of Kensington.
Breakfast is cereal, milk, toast. But there is a kitchen where you can keep your own food in cupboards and fridge.
I stayed there for two nights, will be going back there to stay again next time I'm in London. £35 for two night... BARGAIN!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank AmandaC7
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Hyde park hostel does not have a bar as stated on websites they lied about the facilites and then charge me 2 nights plus 20% on top of 10% booking fee to get out of the hell hole. Note the photos on this website are of the apartments next door not the hostel. They are dishonest and have a nice scam running!!! Don't bother with them. In my opinion the reviews must be falsified as the hostel has none of the warmth and atmosphere described in them. For the price expect basic yes but out and out lying about facilities is a disgrace.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank Victoria P
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Yes ifound this place so much fun and IIl be back when next in London. Thanks to Mel and the crew.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends