“Average food, terrible service and no WiFi”
Review of Kimchee Holborn

Ranked #3,356 of 28,642 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Holborn
Description: Authentic korean food in the heart of london. Set in sumptious interiors, Kimchee provides a beautiful atmosphere in which to enjoy elegantly presented Korean cuisine. Set in mid-town (on High Holborn, between Holbron tube and Chancery Lane tube); Kimchee presents a lively atmosphere in which to share a business lunch, a group outing on a late weekend lunch, or sip some fusion cocktails over some sharing platters on a night out.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I've been here a few times and every time the staff are so disengaged, on this most recent visit,I sat for nearly 15 minutes waiting for someone to take my order in a very quiet period. I tried to catch the eye of four floating staff who seemed to make every effort to avoid catching my eye. I ended up waving both arms to grab attention, the waiter that seated me pointed over to me and said something to his colleague who came to take my order much to his dismay. Even then there was no apology for keeping me waiting. When my food arrived I asked the waiter was there a WIfI password to which he snapped "Nope! Sorry!" and walked away with no explanation. Very strange. Rather than sit god knows how much longer for someone to clear my plates or bring me the bill, I got up and made my way to the entrance and waited for someone to come. Again, they all floated around in their own world, didn't seem to cross anyone's minds (including those who served me) what I might be standing there waiting for. It was so ridiculous as there were about two or three other tables in at this time. A waitress strolled up to me and asked did I want a table for one (!) and I explained I wanted the bill. Begrudgingly paid the service charge, it was bloody awful! Food is fine, definitely not the best Korean around. I asked for the raw beef bibimbap and the cooked beef came. It looks so dull and bland, there's no colour or freshness associated with bibimbap- very underwhelming.

Date of visit: September 2019
KimcheeUK, Manager at Kimchee Holborn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Sorry about your experience, please tell us more here: enquiries@kimchee.uk.com

Write a reviewReviews (1,090)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited Kimchee at short notice and thrilled they could give us a table and arrange for us to eat.

The best part of the meal was the chicken legs/wings starter, but whilst they were crispy and flavoursome, hey were fried twice. I like how the menu is simply split into sections of Bibimbap (rice dishes), Jjigae (pot dishes like stews) and soups. All of the dishes in my eyes lacked imagination though as each section was realistically the same, you just changed the protein or vegetable. I understand that this is easier to cook for the chefs but it means that everything would taste the same. Made it feel like it was a chain. The Bibimbap was generously sized but basically fried beef with rice, and the Jjigae had hardly any saugage / beef and in essence a tomato broth. We also had a Gui (their only seafood option) and whilst it was creative compared to the other dishes, the mackerel was fried and so was the sides. The kimchee was nice, but I could slice some cabbage and leave it to marinate all day, to eat cold later.

All dishes just lacked any cooking skill.

Even though there was a lot of Asians/Koreans eating here, which is always a great sign, but if you have spent time in that region - the food doesn’t feel authentic and catered for the English taste bud. Whilst the decor is nice it is worth noting that the wooden benches / seats are very uncomfortable and certainly designed for shorter people - take a pillow (!) and be prepared to sit without privacy from others on long benches. In good news it’s not that expensive though but portions are not substantial.

Would I go back? Maybe. Only because in stead of ordering the mains, I’d rather order a selection of smaller plates to share, as that what most people were doing.

2  Thank jamesmI5417TZ
KimcheeUK, Manager at Kimchee Holborn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi, Thanks for taking time to rating us.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We booked a table for six on a Friday evening and found the restaurant busy and lively. It is very contemporary and modern Asian interior design. Along one entire wall you can see the kitchen and the chefs at work, the aroma from the grilled meat area just made you hungry. Most of the tables are bench style for sharing. Service is very friendly and professional. We had a mixed group of vegan, vegetarian and meat lovers, we all found the menu suited our tastes, the food is well presented and we loved the hot bowls, food stayed hot until the end of the meal. Overall, it was a great find and will make sure of a return visit next time we are in London.

Date of visit: September 2019

Thanks for taking time to rating us.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Went on a Friday evening with 2 friends. Ordered 3 different bibimbaps. Server was called Tania I believe. Service was slow and found her attitude to be overly feisty. Had to repeat the order multiple times. The tofu bibimbap came with beef in it ?!
After waiting a long time to catch attention for the bill, it finally arrived. We did not want to pay service charge after explaining about the poor service. She spoke to 2 separate people about this and returned and said this was okay. I found this odd as service charge is discretionary and does require manager approval etc. Food was average, so would not recommend overall.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

As late diners on Sunday we expected perhaps some difficulties. First impressions were good, the venue is pleasant and was busy on arrival, and we were seated quickly. Our order was taken within about 10 minutes of arrival.

We only ordered mains and the pacing of their arrival was fine, although I noticed that they had been placed on the serving area for quite a long time before they were brought to the table. This was also the case with our drink order where the drinks appeared in the bar area and sat there for a long time before being brought (arriving after the food). I have no complaints at all about the food, which was hot I spite of its wait, and well flavoured.

We would have ordered dessert, but we were sat for a very long period of time where no one arrived to clear the table or speak to us. As we were sat for a while we noticed we weren't the only diners struggling, even though the restaurant was now much emptier than when we arrived. We tried multiple times to attract the attention of the staff to be met with the most impressive game of eye-contact avoidance I've ever come across. When a member of wait staff did finally come it was to tell us it was final orders and to ask if we wanted to order anything else. We opted for the bill instead, and another wait ensued for someone to take payment. If I hadn't been paying by card I would not have paid the 12.5 % gratuity...

A shame really as I don't particularly have complaints about the food, but the staff took the shine off a bit, and it's as much a part of the experience as the food.