“Tasty but a bit overpriced”
Review of Kimchee

Kimchee
Reserve with OpenTable
Kimchee is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,720 of 23,873 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Holborn
Description: Authentic korean food in the heart of london. Set in sumptious interiors, Kimchee provides a beautiful atmosphere in which to enjoy elegantly presented Korean cuisine. Set in mid-town (on High Holborn, between Holbron tube and Chancery Lane tube); Kimchee presents a lively atmosphere in which to share a business lunch, a group outing on a late weekend lunch, or sip some fusion cocktails over some sharing platters on a night out.
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I are studying nearby so have been to kimchee a few times. The food is tasty but it's easy to run up a substantial bill (Keenan eye on the service charge!). I would definitely go again but stick to just one main dish to avoid the cost. The seafood Bibimbap is particularly good.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Loved the noodles and the food in general was delicious.
Did not care much for the seating arrangements though.
Service was very good and staff friendly. Decor was modern, relaxing and background music just right giving the whole place a wonderful ambiance.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

The restaurant itself very busy had a queue outside and this was a Wednesday. However once seated I was stuck between 2 other customers. One one side i had 2 friends and on the other side a mother with her son. Felt as if they was part of my group. Anyways me and my partner got on with the meal ordered food was a different menu to our normal Japanese or Chinese restaurant. The service i would say was very slow. Quality of food not so great, food was cold and not to the standards of previous restaurants we have been to. However for the price we paid i was happy. Not a restaurant that i would be willing to come back to and only came here as i wanted to try Korean food but yeah next time ill go to a individual Korean restaurant. Even the mother and the son next to us complained about the food.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My friends and I came to this restaurant for dinner and when we entered there were many people crowding the waiting area. So, we waited somewhere near the entrance when a staff came to tell us that we had to stand aside where the waiting area is otherwise we would have to wait outside the restaurant. What kind of nonsense is this? There wasn't any space and we were sort of pushed towards the entrance. Then they wanted us to suffer in the cold outside? The main point is if we were told in a polite manner we might comply but they were rude so we didn't.

After an hour and a half, we finally got our tables and it was the opposite of spacious. Nevertheless, we ordered and the food didn't take long to be served so this part is alright. Taste is average. The waitress who served us is friendly (couldn't get her name though) unlike those who were serving the waiting customers.

I do suggest a visit but do it at very,very odd hours when it won't be crowded.

1  Thank meenday
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was quite looking forward to coming here as i'm quite a big fan of korean food plus the concept and the menu looked interesting

Unfortunately, despite the crowds of people in there, when we went its pretty dire

1. Entrance. The manager tried to shove us downstairs to the bar to order some drinks because there was "a 20 minute wait for a table". Funnily enough a quick scan of the restaurant revealed many empty seats. Sure enough after 3 minutes of waiting at the entrance a table magically became free. I knocked one star off for trying to fill up their basement bar by lying about tables being unavailable

2. Food. It was pleasant at the time. We had the tempura prawns (not sure how authentically korean this is), the bimibap. basically eggfried rice in korean pancake with seafood, stone pot, the lamb skewers, beef rib and some kimchee. The portions were quite small but the price was low so I think this was fine

3. Service apart from the manager, above, the staff seemed nice. They were quite hurried, but the restaurant was quite full

4. Hygiene. Poor. One of us was violently sick after eating at the restaurant, I can see from the other reviews that this isn't an isolated case. I knocked two stars off for this. Its not unreasonable to expect not to throw up after your meal

It really makes me quite sorry to write a review like this for this restuarant. The owner is a korean who made his money with a sushi chain in London and wanted to make his native cuisine a big hit in the UK with a chain of these restaurants (I read an interview with him in a magazine recently)

Frankly there a lot a lot of better, if less accessible, korean restaurants in London

At least they don't try and ram drinks down your throat or make you throw up