“Excellent”

Ranked #185 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

We booked on line, recommended at busy times and had the steak pie and pork with Apple pie, seasonal veg and mash. Excellent service from the staff and food. The prices were reasonable too. The London pride beer is ell kept and very good . A great place to eat,drink and relax

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John R
SanctuaryHouseHotel, General Manager at The Sanctuary House Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear hotel guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your exquisite dinning experience. Pies are one of the Sanctuary House Hotel’s specialities, they are hand crafted every morning from our head chef’s unique recipes and nothing goes better with one of our pies than this cities most infamous beer “London Pride”. As always, we pride our selves with providing engaging service, outstanding cask condition ales and delicious food, and it is very rewarding when our customers appreciate this. We hope to see you in the near future.

Sol Yepes, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Nuneaton
Reviewed April 10, 2014

What a wonderful find in the middle of busy London a haven of peace truly a Sanctuary, rooms are great and offer everything you could possibly want, staff are excellent and nothing is too much trouble for them. The breakfast is a joy and more choice than you would possibly want, when we are in London again will definitely be staying at the Sanctuary Hotel again really enjoyed it,

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Evans33
Dear hotel guest,

Thank you so much for your charming review.
I am very pleased to read such nice words and it makes me happy that you found our hotel so special. Thank you also for complimenting our staff, I truly believe that your comments to them are very well deserved and I feel very proud of them.
We all look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Lurgan, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Very friendly check in, I asked if I could be on a higher floor as I was a female staying alone and it was no problem. Room ready on arrival, even though this was earlier than check in time, and a lovely receptionist. Second stay there and will def go back. Brilliant location for Houses of Parliament and Westminster abbey.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank CatzR
Dear hotel guest,

Thank you for your nice review. It is so wonderful when I read review after review praising our staff on there dedication, helpfulness and service. I am happy to hear that this is one of the reasons you will be returning to our hotel and we are all looking forward to welcoming you again!

Mona Vale
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Perfect location for exploring Westminster. Staff were super helpful and went out of their way to assist. Rooms were clean and modern and pub downstairs was a bonus. We paid for breakfast which was nice but Pret is just down the road and is a cheaper option. Great stay, we will be back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MonaValeMark
Dear Mona,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your lovely review. It is wonderful that our staff’s engaging service and the prime location of the Hotel helped make your stay even more special.
We hope you get to enjoy our succulent English breakfast in the comfort of our Pub on the ground floor during your next stay.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Smack bang in the middle of Westminster, handy for the tube and lots of localised attractions, price was reasonable for the area too. Housekeeping lacked attention to detail and the rooms a little small for the price. They were apologetic when the issues with housekeeping was pointed out, but the problems were not rectified during the stay, so an obvious lack of communication between staff.

Stayed January 2014
4 Thank Brattyhands
SanctuaryHouseHotel, General Manager at The Sanctuary House Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear hotel guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your stay in our hotel.
I am happy that in general you had a pleasant time and enjoyed all the benefits that our hotel has to offer.

It is surprising to hear that our housekeeping team’s attention to detail was not to their usual standards and that the issue was not resolved immediately. I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused.

We hope you will choose to stay with us again and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights. Yes, the location is good for visiting sights around Westminster (hence it gets one star, for location only); but I wouldn't stay here again. Here's why:

1. Horrendously overpriced for poor quality:

On the first morning, I ordered a vegetarian breakfast. It was the worst cooked breakfast I have ever tasted, worse than the cooked breakfasts I have had at budget hotels. The 'sausages' were floury. The mushrooms looked and tasted like they were from a tin. The sorry-looking half a tomato had been sapped of 90% of its moisture. The portion of baked beans was tiny. In short, the breakfast was dry and tasteless.

Seeking some moisture to alleviate the effects of this dry, excuse of a breakast, I asked for my cup of coffee to be refilled. I was promptly issued with a bill for the refill, despite having pre-booked the breakfast. Not even hotels like Premier Inn charge for a single refill of coffee!!

On the second morning, I decided to steer clear of the cooked breakfast and ordered banana porridge instead. Again, upon delivery of the porridge, I was issued with another bill, this time for the difference in price between the porridge and the continental breakfast - 30p! Believe it or not, the measly bowl of oats with a third of a banana chopped up on top cost GBP £11.25!! Yes, this is London; but really??? When you pay GBP £176 per night for a standard room, you really do not expect them to be quibbling over 30p or a second cup of coffee, and besides, who on earth charges GBP £11.25 for a standard bowl of porridge anyway? It's outrageous!

2. Poor service:

I arrived at the hotel at around 8pm and decided to order room service shortly afterwards. For the priviledge of having food delivered to the room, there was an addition charge of GBP £2 on top of the food prices. I tried unsuccessfully to call Reception from the room, twice: no answer. I then went down to Reception in person where the Receptionist took my food order. I received no apology for her not having answered the phone, despite me pointing it out to her. I went back to room and waited. By 8.50pm there was still no sign of the food being delivered, so I decided to go out for dinner instead. I told the Receptionist. She had no idea why the food hadn't been delivered, as she said she had placed the order with the kitchen... It was a mid-week evening. Goodness knows how they cope at weekends...

Other general points that I would add about my stay are that I was woken up very early on both mornings by the sound of glass bottles being tipped into (I assume) a lorry. Also, the room was badly lit and gloomy. Oh, and going down to breakfast on the second morning, the lift lobby on the ground floor reeked of vomit (probably connected with the pub on the same floor which is directly connected to the hotel).

To summarise, I felt this hotel took advantage of its location to overcharge for poor quality food and service, and grasped at every extra penny despite the ill-will that doing so causes. I would not recommend staying here and would suggest that you spend your GBP176 a night elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
7 Thank Ruth R
SanctuaryHouseHotel, General Manager at The Sanctuary House Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Ruth,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
We are very disappointed that on this occasion, we failed to meet your expectations. We have noted the highs and lows of this review, especially the lows, and I would like to apologise for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. We always want our customers to leave our hotel highly satisfied.
If you would like to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reno, Nevada
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I read the other reviews concerning the Location and Food so I will say nothing more about those, only agree with all the positive remarks. This hotel has only 32 rooms and wonderful charm. None of the click, click of stone or steel stairs here. The wooden floors and stairs creak and groan, just like an old house should. Nothing old about the rooms though. Very tasteful and spacious. Bathrooms are more than adequate, with space in the shower for even a big guy like me. Fresh sheets every day, can't beat that. The pub downstairs is again decorated in the old pub style with lots of charm and very friendly staff. Can't say enough about this hotel for the price

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator and off the main street. Lots of tour buses park outside