“Fantastic Location, Fantastic Staff, Amazing Vacation!”

The Sanctuary House Hotel
Ranked #186 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Chicago, Illinois
“Fantastic Location, Fantastic Staff, Amazing Vacation!”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I can't reiterate enough how PRIME this location is for any first-time visitors & tourists to London. You walk out the door, turn right and Westminster Abbey is right there, along with Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster tube stop and pier (where you can catch a boat to cruise down the River Thames) etc. We walked absolutely everywhere from this hotel - 35 seconds to Westminster, 4 mins to Big Ben, 8 Mins to St. James Park, 10 mins to Buckingham Palace, 20 mins to Soho, 30 mins to Hyde Park.
St. James tube stop is right around the corner, and Victoria Station (major station where you can connect to all lines, and where you catch the Gatwick Express) is a 10 min walk.
Wonderful boutique hotel, clean rooms, clean bathroom, turndown service, delicious breakfast at Fullers Pub. Rooms themselves are on the smaller side, but to be expected in London. (We stayed in a Twin room - perfect for 2 people and the beds pushed together wasn't bad at all.)

The staff were very friendly and accommodating. We also left behind a poster / canvas print in our room and they called us when they found it and posted it to our address in the US the next day.

Price was also amazing in comparison to all other London hotels. We will 100% be staying at this hotel again when we visit - it's so worth it to be in the center of everything when visiting London!

Room Tip: All of the 01 rooms (201, 301, 401) are right by the elevator. We were going to request a different...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KDubs0409
SanctuaryHouseHotel, General Manager at The Sanctuary House Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear hotel guest,

It brings me joy to hear you had a wonderful stay with us.
We have the fortune to be centred in one of London’s hot spots for travel and tourism; it is fantastic that you took full advantage of that to enhance your first trip to London.
I am glad to hear the hard work of the bar & housekeeping staff along with our own personal touches are noticed by our guests, and that you appreciated the due diligence of our employees.
We hope you received your belongings in good condition.
Look forward to giving you a warm Sanctuary House welcome on your next visit.

Sol Yepes, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Glos
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Looking for a central hotel for Remembrance weekend we were delighted to find The Sanctuary House. Comfortable room which was nicely decorated and even a full size bath in the en suite.It is a traditional London pub downstairs, all wood and tiles immaculately clean, good beers and nice menu.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear hotel guest,

Thank you for your lovely words about our restaurant and hotel.
When it comes to the hotel we take pride in the fact that all of our rooms are en suite with a full size bath.
Being apart of Fullers we can provide a vast ever-changing selection of outstanding cask conditioned Ales and delicious traditional pub food.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Bristol
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Served my purpose geographically well situated for Westminster activities. Good drinking venue but not so brilliant on the food side. Breakfast in bed attracts some but I avoided. Evening bar meals, pies a speciality, reasonably well served but nothing outstanding about it. Friendly helpful staff - one of the best points about the place.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
SanctuaryHouseHotel, General Manager at The Sanctuary House Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear David,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel.
I am pleased to hear that our location suited you well for all of your activities. Thank you also for recognising my friendly staff, and we hope that we left you with a very positive impression about our hotel.
Being a traditional London Hotel and Restaurant, we tend to serve traditional English Food, but we do try to broaden our selection with daily specials that include healthy options. I am sorry to hear that our food did not meet your expectations in this occasion. I very much hope that you will give us a chance and try our homemade food on your future travels to London.

Devonport, Australia
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My partner and I stayed here in Sept 2013 for 3 nights, after a mix up with my travel dates Sanctuary did everything to work around me and even upgraded us. When arriving we had a delicious dinner in the pub downstairs. The staff were only to happy to help with sight seeing tips, where to eat and with appliances we forgot to pack. I can not recommend this hotel enough. The locations is tremendous. Close to HOHO bus stops. It was great value because of the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff, the location and just the charm of the place, Will definitely be staying again if we come back to London.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bt198484
SanctuaryHouseHotel, General Manager at The Sanctuary House Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear hotel guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review.
I am happy to hear that you received outstanding service from my staff, as this can make all the difference for that memorable stay. Hopefully you enjoyed your time in London, as our central location is one of our most valuable assets. It really means a lot to all of us that you will be recommending us to your friends and family, and we look forward to welcoming you to the Sanctuary House Hotel again in the near future.

san antonio
Reviewed November 8, 2013

We thought this was a very nice hotel. The price was excellent for central London. The neighborhood is great for sight seeing, not the best for pubs and restaurants, but luckily the hotel pub is great! We went there for a pint at the end of every night and had a lunch and a dinner there. They have wonderful food, great ale, good wine list and fantastic desserts; it seemed very popular with locals who work in the area, which I always take as a good sign. The rooms are a good size, modern and clean, very nice. I wasn't really able to get concierge type advice from the front desk about pubs and restaurants, but they were all very nice, and very helpful with taxis and airport transportation. We would stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Wendy,

Thank you for your lovely review.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. It always brings me great pride when people notice and appreciate the great level of hard work we go through to serve a range of delicious and fresh home cooked meals and a variety of outstanding cask conditioned ales that are always served from a clean line with a friendly smile. We hope to see you again on your next visit to London.

California
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My friend and I stayed here this past July. I would have to say, I will definitely return on my next visit. I had to change the reservation before my arrival date and they were excellent. Customer service is upheld as a priority. Anything I asked for was never an issue.

The rooms are nice. I opted for the Standard twin room, and it was nice, clean, and quiet. The breakfast is plentiful and we received the full English breakfast in our price, so it was more than enough food to start the day of touring.

The location is superior. Right down the road from all the main sites. On foot, we were able to see the majority of sites easily. Otherwise, the tube and bus routes are close by. Speaking about the tube, when we arrived at LHR, we opted to take the tube to the hotel. It was quick and very cost effective. One interchange and basically you arrive at the doorstep of the hotel. I will never take a taxi/shuttle bus from the airport again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jkpatter
Dear hotel guest,

I am delighted to hear about your pleasant stay in our hotel, and I am honoured that you only wish to stay with us in the future.
Thank you for recognising our attentive staff and their excellent customer service. I do hope that you managed to see a lot of city attractions, as our location can not be beat for sightseeing. Breakfast at our hotel is always a good option, as the choice is plentiful, so I am glad you started your day as one should.
We look forward to seeing you at our hotel in the near future.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 3, 2013

My daughter, and I stayed here for three nights in October. It is centrally located, steps from the St. James underground; walking distance to some theaters and Westminster Abbey. The staff was helpful and accommodating - giving us a quiet room on the 5th floor and making reservations. We appreciated the small fridge stocked with bottled water as well as tea kettle, various tea/coffee/hot cocoa and biscuit options, slippers and robes and turn-down service with a chocolate on the pillow! The room was comfortable but I would have appreciated brighter lightening and a bit more storage for the duration.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LoriB8591
Dear Lori,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your lovely review.
I am happy you enjoyed our selection of hot beverages and snacks, and our turn down service. I am also pleased to say on your next arrival you can now enjoy a fresh coffee from our caffitier, one of our new additions to most rooms.
Wish you all the best on your travels.