“Good value hotel right in the centre of London”

The Sanctuary House Hotel
Ranked #192 of 1,063 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Good value hotel right in the centre of London”
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Lovely centrally located hotel close to the heart of tourist London. Room nicely decorated, clean and reasonable size although not much room for clothes etc if you were staying for a while. Didn't eat here so can't comment on that.
Sound proofing between rooms is poor - annoyingly creaking floorboards from above and the room next door

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank isobelb52

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Really nice property. Very close to the St. James tube station BUT they were doing maintenance on the Circle Line on the dates that we were there so we had to walk to the Westminster station. I really hoped that we'd get a corner room as we booked well in advance. I could tell from our registration card that we were originally blocked in one, but then that room number was crossed out and someone else was given that room. Really bummed. I guess someone complained on the spot and got that room, which evidently beats out booking in advance. I don't think that's right and I guess I should have complained, but didn't. It was a trip of a lifeline for us and didn't want to start it by complaining however I really do think that those who book first should get the best rooms, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong....our room and it's view of the alley were fine. Clean, confortable, in good repair.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ESinCO
Coolangatta, Australia
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Again I based my stay on tripadvisor and was not disappointed. The Hotel is a beautiful boutique style accommodation with typical London theme including an amazing English Pub on the ground floor. The rooms are spacious, we had the standard double and it was very roomy with a safe, free wifi, huge bath and an opening window.

The staff are amazing and the service was above standard.

When you walk out of the front door - you see straight at the Westminster Abbey. There are 2 stations nearby - St James and Westminster. The Pier is only 10 minutes walk from here as are great shops in Victoria street. Buckingham Palace is 10 minutes walk.

I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor and it was fairly quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank deborah b
Teesside
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on business and I would mark it 3.5. Room was spacious and spotless. It had air conditioning and the bed was very comfortable.
Arrived late so great that this hotel is above a pub which serves food, specialising in pies. Hotel guests can reserve a table, which is just as well as the bar was packed. Our party didn't stay for breakfast as we had an early meeting but if the pies were anything to go by I suspect it would be fine.
The downside was on the night I stayed it was noisy, with lots of bangs and creaks leading to a restless night, but overall it is a decent hotel just two minutes walk from Westminster Abbey - the sort of place which is good for one or two nights.

Stayed March 2013
1 Thank RobertsonsTeesside
Europe
Reviewed March 17, 2013

At first sight you will not immediately notice the entrance of the hotel (a door next to the entrance door of pub Fullers). If you walk (or take the elevator) to the first floor you will arrive at reception. We were warmly welcomed and quickly checked in. The rooms are for London standards not even that small. Tasteful decorated and with free WIFI. We payed 198 euro per night without breakfast. Location is great. Only a few minutes walk from Westminster Abbey and the Big Ben and St James underground station. The only remark we would like to make is that it looks rather easy to walk from the street/pub (without being noticed) to the hotel floors (but we did not check the security procedures). Pub food was ok but not exceptional good and with slow service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JAEMH
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This was our first hotel in a 5 week trip of 3 continents, and we still look fondly back on it.
Fantastic location right on the doorstep of so many London attractions and shopping.
The reception staff were great, advising on shopping and transport, particularly introducing us to the underground. We are happy to do a lot of walking, and most sites were within our walking range.

The room was small, and we expected that, but nicely decorated in an olde world theme in keeping with the establishment. Bathroom was excellent.

Breakfast was much better than we expect of a continental in Australia, and worth lingering over. The pub was pretty crowded and we had pies sent to the room. Fast service and delicious.

Value for money was good, maybe that's the exchange rate at the moment, but I would be happy with the pricing anywhere, let alone London.

The hotel is within the London congestion zone, so you have to pay to drive there. We hired a car for day 1, drove to the hotel and dropped the bags, then took the car to the hire depot by Victoria Station and walked back, then picked up another car on day 3, picked up our bags from the hotel and left London. Worth the fee (pay online, you need the registration number) but parking near the hotel is difficult.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SAtraveler1958
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We visited The Sanctuary when utterly dead on our feet in the centre of London. The name of the establishment was not lost on us as we were totally exhausted.

What a lovely pub/restaurant this is. It's warm, cosy and friendly. I've been to London many times and found it often cold and hard-nosed, especialy since being from the North I'm seen as a 'tourist'.

The menu is of a wide variety, and my wife and I both struggled to pick a favoured dish as we found several we wished to try. The girl behind the bar was welcoming and friendly, which makes a nice change in London. She gave me options of potatos with my pie, and when asked what she though went best, said that since we were in London, it had to be pie and mash really. I was inclined to agree.

My wife chose the fish and chips, and was rewarded with a large fish, in nice crispy batter, and a good amount of nicely cooked chips. I had the chicken and chorizo pie, which came with mash and veg. The pie was full or good quality meat and the mash was lovely and smooth.

A quality meal at a decent price. A real haven in a city full of rip-off merchants.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple