“Not as Good as I Remembered”
Review of Thanet Hotel

and 1 more site!
Thanet Hotel
Ranked #541 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 28, 2013

This was my second stay at the Thanet Hotel, which I've tried to book numerous times in the roughly 18-20 months since my last stay. It still has the same good location, good English breakfast and good value. However, there are a number of flaws that I didn't experience the first time. The biggest of these are the severely lacking WiFi, which doesn't work for mobile devices on the upper floors and barely works for laptops. It would be quite simple for them to get a signal enhancer to alleviate that problem. The other big issue is the lack of a lift, which wasn't a problem when I had a basement room on my last stay. This time, I was all the way at the top (3rd upper floor) and had to drag all of my luggage up 3 flights of winding, narrow stairs. Not even remotely disabled friendly! The bathroom also has a door with a spring that automatically closes it, making it impossible to keep the door open. That wasn't the case in the room I had at my last stay. The service also wasn't nearly as friendly as on my last stay, dropping to no better than average at best.

Room Tip: Don't consider the upper floors if you need WiFi or have the slightest difficulty with stairs.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank ExilAmi

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed here when in London for one night. I had a single room. The place is nice, clean, and the bed very comfortable. My room had a TV, good wifi, tea/coffee facilities, good bed, shower, toilet, sink etc. Fairly basic but for the price and the location I would definitely stay here again.

I unfortunately had to leave before the breakfast, but I caught a glimpse of it on my way out - looked great!

Owner / guy on the desk was very riendly and pointed me in the right direction for the things that I needed.

Room Tip: Better wifi reception on the lower floors!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ollie-and-Jess
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have stayed here 10-15 times in the last three years and it is my favourite place to stay in Central London for work visits. The rooms are always clean and comfortable. Single rooms are a good size and it feels more homely than an identikit chain hotel for the same money. Breakfasts are very well cooked and speedily delivered and the owners are often on hand for a friendly chat when you settle your bill. They were also very understanding when I had to change a booking at the last minute. I can't think you'd have a bad experience for a short stay if you chose the Thanet.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank jfj1
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Breakfast good, lots of it and quick, pleasant service. Staff pleasant.
Room clean, but paintwork could do with freshening up .
Ensuite bathroom very clean, modern but tiny, (shower only big enough to stand in).
No residents sitting room.

Single room to the front, very noisy early hours from street traffic/footfall and other hotel deliveries. Also sound proofing bewteen other rooms low so could hear voices. The room floor boards and adjacent room floor boards were very squeaky. So all in, not great for a night of uninterrupted sleep.

Location fine for walking to central sites, ( 20 minute walk), 10 minute walk to theatre area and 20 minute walk to Kings Cross, adjacent to British Muesem.

Double room also booked which was small , so one side of the double bed was up against a wall. Not great for comfort.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank xy z
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I spent two nights at this hotel with my adult son. You immediately feel welcome, firstly by the beautiful arrangement of flowers at the entrance and then be the owner/staff who were very accommodating of our needs.
Our room (number 4) provided us with the space we needed, with our beds on opposite sides of the room. He was happy with the free WI-FI and the connection was good. The room and bathroom were clean but we didnt have a safe in the room.
A good selection of breakfasts were available and although I didnt personally have the Grill option, my son thoroughly enjoyed it.
My only complaint would be the squeeky wooden floor boards as any movement made by guests in neighbouring rooms woke me up.
Overall the hotel was good value for money.

Room Tip: If you have trouble climbing stairs or have heavy luggage try and get a room on the first floor as t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank VeroBrisbane
Reviewed September 24, 2012

An excellant B&B in central London. I had a clean quiet room, comfortable bed, cotton sheets and a good breakfast, not the Ritz but good value for money. I would go again and recommend for an overnight stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank outandabout31
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I needed a cheap hotel in central London for a work trip; and this fitted the bill.

The staff were very friendly on arrival and check out and the room spotlessly clean - posher hotels please note - hair in the shower and old sheets are not nice. The TV had a good selection, the reading light allowed me to read (again other hotel please note - bedside lamps that don't allow you to read are pointless) and overall I had a great night's sleep

Breakfast is included in the price and was again fine.

Yes, the hotel could do with a bit of an upgrade but it is clean, well run and in a nice quiet street so I would thoroughly recommend the Thanet - I'll certainly be back

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business