“Upmarket Bed & Breakfast”

Searcy's Roof Garden Rooms
Ranked #676 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Andorra la Vella, Andorra
“Upmarket Bed & Breakfast”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

I have stayed here a number of times - either alone or with a partner. The most recent was in November 2011 for three nights.

New visitors are sometimes confused by this hotel but nobody can fail to be charmed by its quirky originality. Yes perhaps it can be argued that the elevator needs an overhaul, and there is never many staff around (but then there are not many rooms) but I would not have it any other way.

This is one of London's original Boutique Hotels. Do not go here if you want an all night Bar and an upmaket restauant. Probably not that suitable for Children either. This is essentially a very nice, and rather exclusive, Bed & Breakfast in the heart of Knightsbridge.

I will continue to use it whenever ihn London.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IanM761
SRGR, Manager at Searcy's Roof Garden Rooms, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your genuine review about us. I am very happy that you being our regular guests are taking time to share your experience and spread a good word about us. This is gratefully appreciated.

Thank you for your custom and I very much look forward to welcoming you back with us soon.

Kind regards,
Roof Garden Bedrooms Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We had a lovely spacious room and bathroom, perfect for two people. Very comfortable bed and a small sitting area where we could eat our breakfast, which was brought on a tray. The breakfast was quite nice with a good selection of croissants, toast, boiled eggs, cereals, yogurts and a newspaper. Great location, just behind Harrods and in walking distance from the Knightsbridge tube stop. Complimentary mineral water was also a very nice touch.

The access off a back street can be a little confusing, but a good map will help you. The elevator is also a bit peculiar, as others have mentioned, and our room was up an additional flight of stairs, so probably not ideal for people with mobility issues.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pauline M
SRGR, Manager at Searcy's Roof Garden Rooms, responded to this review, December 30, 2011
Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking time to post this review. I am very happy to hear that you had a great weekend with us.

I just want to reassure you that all the guests that might have mobility issues are usually allocated either on the 2nd or the 3rd floor where bedrooms are easily accessible through the lift. We are always happy to look after individual needs and demands to make sure that every guest is comfortable and happy at Searcys Roof Garden Rooms.

I hope to have a pleasure in accommodating you with us in the future as I am also very keen on finding out of what causes stopped you from giving us an excellent rate.

Have a wonderful New Year and please let me know if I could be of any further help in the future.

Kind Regards,
Norwich
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Hard to believe how much you get for the price. Harrods is a 30 second walk away; the bed was more comfortable than in most hotels 3 times the price; breakfast in bed (including newspaper) was delicious and all included in the price; Wifi was free and completely reliable; complimentray bottles of both still and sparkling water in the room; high quality bath Knick knacks, plus a bathrobe of the type you'd normally expect in a 5 star hotel. I even quite enjoyed the quirky / bizarre entry to the hotel (straight off the street into the lift!).

As someone who reads countless reviews before booking any hotel or restaurant, I always feel a bit of a freeloader on Trip Adviser because I never find the time or motivation to write a review myself However Searcys was such remarkably good value that I felt compelled to do so on this occasion . I only hope that in doing so I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot and make it impossible to get a room next time!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank tonymichaelwood
SRGR, Manager at Searcy's Roof Garden Rooms, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
Dear Mr. Wood,

Thank you very much for taking time to write this wonderful review and your genuine words about Searcys Roof Garden Rooms. I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. I am also very pleased to hear that we have been an inspiration to you to write your first review on Tripadvisor!

Please let me know of your future visits to London and I will be happy to look after your reservation personally.

Have a wonderful Festive Season and I very much look forward to welcoming you back with us soon!

Kind Regards,
LA
Reviewed December 10, 2011

The building is like an old warehouse transformed, the elevator needs an update...
Staff might be friendly but it does not take out the fact that the room was not cleaned properly and had found at our arrival a towel with lots of make up, their excuse " I had a day off yesterday" and their solution - a £10 discount
rooms are tiny, I would say the room was approx 12 sqm, I also did not see any kettle for coffee...the rooms need to be redone.... if you look towards the bed it looks cozy and lovely, if you look to the opposite part of the 10sqm room where a large 70's built in mirror/bureau stands ... it is definitely a sight that was not shown in the website.
Shower was tiny, very noisy outside in the night, loud music played and we could hear elevator and people moving carts around
I would have never paid more than £100 for that room
If you are spending that kind of money you should stay at the Millenium Hotel, right across the street and a REAL hotel.
We did not change the hotel as it was only for one night, so we did our best not to think about all those inconveniences in our one night stay in London.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Tina_Leoni
SRGR, Manager at Searcy's Roof Garden Rooms, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your review and I am sorry to hear that your 1 night stay with us was disappointing. I understand your concerns about our entrance to the hotel through the lift – yes, certainly - it is unusual and rather old-fashioned, however most our guests find it very amusing and charming.

Following our conversation on your departure I was most pleased to find out that despite the rejected (freshly laundered, but with stubborn stains) hand towel, - you and your daughter had a comfortable night sleep and also were most grateful to stay in this location as it is very central and convenient during such a rush time before festive season in London. It is very unfortunate that one of the rejected towels was found in your room and I have personally contacted our laundry supplier to make sure that incident like this is investigated seriously and prevented from happening in the future. I can reassure you that throughout my 4 years experience in Roof Garden Rooms this is the only and the last time that incident like that ever occurred.

Please also kindly note that kettles for teas and coffees are provided on request only, however we have 24 hour room service and our staff is always more than happy to assist you with drinks and snacks. I would also like to reassure you that we had the refurbishment project completed in Spring 2010 and all rooms were redecorated and upgraded. However we kept our country style atmosphere in all rooms as this was requested by our regular guests. I understand your concerns about the size of the room, however please kindly note our rooms are considered to be much larger comparing to other accommodations in this area. I also understand that the large mirror is not your favourite feature in the room and I left a note for ourselves to allocate you in a different room should you decide to come back in the future.

I very much want to thank you for your custom through this short time in London. I also hope I have managed to respond to all your concerns addressed in your review. I of course hope we will have a pleasure to accommodate you with us in the future and I am happy to offer the same reduced rate even for busy periods of the year.

Kind regards,
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed August 1, 2011

the location is a plus, it is close to shoppings and hyde park... the breakfast in the roof garden is good…. rooms are on the small side but the service is great… no street parking around, and the only parking space was $48 for 24 hours… it's hard to find on the first time but once you learn your way, it is a piece of cake…

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Ikebana2010
Somerset, UK
Reviewed February 1, 2011

My friend chose this hotel for his wedding venue and it was great. Staff were excellent and service couldn't be faulted and having breakfast in bed was great.

It is a bit of a quirky place as the entrance is not obvious and the receptionist comes down in the lift to collect you from the street. I stayed in Room 4 and I see that other people have written less than positive reviews about this room. However, I thought it was pretty and cosy and it had obviously benefited from the wider hotel renovation program.

That said, as the room was so small it was great for one night but I wouldn't want to stay there for a longer break as it would have felt quite claustrophobic. Also, Room 4 is by the stairs and lift access so I didn't get the best night's sleep as the noise from the corridor came straight into the room.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Liesel2002
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Searcy's Roof Garden Rooms was a great and central place to stay in central London. It is close to Harrod's and with easy access to public transportation while the hotel is in a quiet street.

We had a very nice family suite, which with an extra bed was certainly suitable for 5 people. Breakfast was wonderful and was served in the room. The smoothies and fruitsalads were great. Price/Quality this is probably one of the best places to stay in London.

For restaurants in the neighbourhood, there is in Italian "sale e pepe" in the street of the hotel, which was a little noisy and not really ideal with children, though the food was ok but we thought the other Italian close to Harrods "Zia Teresa" was better and friendlier.

For something different in the neighbourhoud, try the Iraqi restaurant " Prince Garden" on Knightsbridge. The food was great and the people were very child friendly.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family