“Near Paddington Station - Free Wifi”
Review of Rhodes Hotel

Rhodes Hotel
Ranked #316 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Washington, DC
“Near Paddington Station - Free Wifi”
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Not knowing too much about London on places to stay, I picked this hotel because it was next to Paddington Station - so it would be easy to get to from Heathrow Airport with heavy luggage. Also picked hotel because of Price and Free Wifi when compared to other hotels.

I was able to get from Airport to hotel in less than 30 minutes, hotel very easy walk from station. Hotel is also near 2 Subway stations - so you have plenty of choices for different lines which came in handy.

Now the room is very, very small. My bathroom is at home is bigger than this hotel room. It really did not bother me since I did not spend any free time in the room - just used it to sleep. However, this is no place for suitecase. That is how small room was. The other thing is even though the location was excellent for being near Paddington Station, it is still 20-30 minutes away by subway to tourist sites of London. So going back to hotel during the day was not an option. I do recommend hotel if you want a hotel near Paddington, if you want a hotel closer to the tourist sites in London I would select a different hotel, but expect to pay more for it. There is a free small breakfast, but it was not much and after first day, I skipped it and hate breakfast at other alternatives.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank CodyDC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 6, 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights at start of May, and felt we had good value for money. The location is excellent being only a few minutes walk to Paddington or Lancaster Gate tube stations, and in a lovely tree lined street.
Whilst small, our room was very comfortable and clean plus we had a pleasant balcony. The included continental breakfast was welcome and more than adequate Chris Crais was always helpful as were the other staff
Choosing a hotel in London can be difficult but we felt that we had done well here in terms of value for money

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank itsingers
London, Canada
Reviewed June 1, 2011

My family stayed at the Rhodes in early May. We booked a quadruple room which consisted of a Queen bed and two singles. The bathroom was actually a lot bigger than expected with modern facilities and a huge whirlpool tub. The continental breakfast was more than enough to start your day with plenty of meat, cheese, a selection of cereals and plenty of orange juice, milks, tea and coffee. The lady running the kitchen was quick to replace baskets of toast as well. The hotel is very close to a few metro stations, Paddington, Lancaster Gate and Marble Arch.

The only downside was the stairs. We were on the 2nd to last floor and the farther up you go, the narrower the stairs get. The man at reception helped us bring our luggage up which was nice. The shower could've had a bit more pressure, but I think that was due more to the fancy shower head.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank JuliaLovesEurope
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 30, 2011

This hotel is located in beautiful Paddington only a block or two from Paddington Station which can easily get you to any place in the city via Underground. The area is quiet and charming. My triple room was relatively large for European standards and a great value for a rather expensive London. Breakfast was a little sparse, but filled enough to get to a good lunch location. Free internet and a very helpful staff. Overall, this is a great hotel that'd I'd recommend to others.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 24, 2011

The hotel has been recently furnished in a faux grecian/cretan decor reflecting the Rhodes name. The owners have gone to quite a bit of trouble with the decor, even the carpets in the hallways are high quality. Our room (standard double) was clean and well furnished. Like a lot of London hotels the room size was never big and fitting the modern en-suite was always going to be a squeeze. The owners got around the problem of finding a wall of sufficient size to fit the double bed with the novel solution of narrowing the doorway! The dining room is in the basement and is therefore a little claustrophobic and not big enough to sit all the guests at one time hence breakfast is when you can get in between 7.30am and 10.00am. The breakfast itself was perfectly adequate and the service prompt. Overall we found the hotel more than satisfactory and would happily stay again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rossco90
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed May 9, 2011

I stayed at Rhodes Hotel in late March for a five-day trip to London. I chose to stay here because of the location and the price (£75 for a single room in the main building, on the ground floor).

The best thing about it, for me, is the location. It is located a couple of minutes' walk away from Paddington station, which has good connections to the touristy areas and Heathrow airport. The street it's on is also relatively quiet and scenic.

I had paid £10 more than the normal £65/night for a single room (looking at the site now, though, it looks like the price has gone up) for a room in the main building, with a slightly bigger bed, a renovated bathroom and on the ground floor (travelling alone I wasn't sure I'd be able to manage several flights of stairs with my luggage). I had (mistakenly) thought it meant I was getting the room in the picture.

Looking back, I should have just said "Give me the room in your picture". The room I got met all the requirements but had a window that opened to an air well and felt more cramped than I anticipated.

There are useful amenities in the room such as mini fridge, tea and coffee making facilities, TV (only a few channels, though), central heating, aircon, a small writing desk, attached bathroom with a shower and WC and free wifi (another highlight for me).

There is one computer that guests can use to go online. I used it only once to send my boarding pass to the printer at the reception area. The rest of the time I was happily able to go online on my own laptop in the comfort of my own room.

I would hesitate to recommend it to people who are a little pickier about cleanliness. On the day I arrived, I noticed a pill at the base of the small wardrobe (you wouldn't notice it unless you bent down to see it). It was still there when I left five days later. I think the room gets vacuumed (I think they do vacuum the rooms otherwise there would have been more hair/dirt on the carpet by the end of my stay) but the corners are missed.

Another issue I had with the place is the old-school lock on the room door. There is only one lock that secures the room from outsiders and anyone with the key (such as a housekeeping staff who might accidentally walk in on you while you're changing if you don't respond quickly enough when they come calling to clean the room) can enter. Would have felt safer if there was an additional lock that only a person inside the room can open.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel but would warn would-be visitors to mentally prepare themselves for the worst-case scenario, then the stay wouldn't be unpleasant.

Room Tip: Speak directly to hotel abt the room you want