“1st time stay”

Parkwood at Marble Arch
Ranked #27 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The reviews for Parkwood definitely helped me to decide where to stay. There were no unpleasant surprises. As a solo traveler I was in one of the single rooms with a shared bathroom. This might cause some people anxiety, but the truth is I never had a problem with access and the bathrooms were always clean and well stocked.

My rooom was small compared to what I am used to state-side, but it was clean and the bed quite comfortable. Since I was there during a unseasonably cold Spring I didn't have to worry about a/c and the room generally stayed comfortable enough without the heat on. My room was humoursly referred to as the 'Harry Potter' room since the entrance was right beneath the stairwell. The only complaint was the thundering sound of footsteps going up and/or down; however, I couldn't get to upset since you could always tell the ones making the noise were children and, hey let's face it, Parkwood is an older house/townhouse dwelling. It's to be expected. I tend to take stairs where ever I go so that wasn't an issue for me.

The breakfast was great. I never left hungry, and there was a great variety to choose from as compared to other offerings from hotels closer by. I really can't give a negative review since any annoyance was small and my stay there quite enjoyable due to price, cleanliness, and comfort. I would have no problem going back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Parkwood at Marble Arch

Reviewed April 6, 2013

For a trip with my daughter last July, the location of the hotel was perfect (Hyde Park/Marble Arch/Oxford Street area). Its on a very small side street - even a taxi driver and a local had trouble giving us directions.
Hotel was full upon arrival and we were given the basement room which was the worst room in the entire building. The receptionist stated that it should have been communicated in my email that we were in a basement room - which it was not (I would never have booked a basement room) but even so there were no other rooms available. Unfortunately, after a long trip I did not have the resources to look for another hotel so felt stuck in this basement room which was basically 2 twin beds and a view of a brick wall with dripping water. One morning we were woken by a guest outside using the ironing board. It was also next to the breakfast room.
I did manage to negotiate a 10% discount which for the UK is a lot. Staff and breakfast were nice and helpful despite room situation.
I regret not having the energy at the time of arrival to find a new B&B but the location was hard to beat.

Room Tip: Make sure you get confirmation it is NOT the basement room!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KimTRanda
London_Hotels_011, Owner at Parkwood at Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Firstly, I would like to thank the reviewer for taking the trouble to mention that the "location of the hotel was perfect" and "the staff and breakfast were nice". All the rooms in the Parkwood are very similar in style and decor whichever floor they are on and the room in question, room 18, is one that is often requested by regular guests because there are very few stairs involved and there are no guest bedrooms on this level so it's probably the quietest room in the building after mid-day.
As the point has been raised about this particular room I've added a photo of it, room 18, to the Tripadvisor photos list and it's worth mentioning that the heading on a previous review from jase76 after staying in this room was "Cannot be faulted for the price".

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Second stay at the Parkwood. This time had a room on the 1st floor with 2 single beds. Room was in good condition just as the previous one was. Still can't beat the location many bus lines and a very convienent tube station. Nice that breakfast is included and cooked when you order it. Rooms are typical size for this type of hotel but our room was fine for 2 people. Staff here is great and very friendly. I highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed in early March 2013 for 6 nights and found the reviews helpful in making our choice. The small hotel, located close to the tube stop (Marble Arch), is average to above average for its amenities such as room size, breakfast, cleanliness. It is a bit old and small, but this is common in central London. We had no problems or surprises. Overall, a good choice and value for the money.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed three nights, March 4-6, and loved it. The best part of this hotel is Inga. She goes out of her way to help you. Not only will she provide excellent directions and advice to all the places in London, she also got us tickets to see the Phantom of the Opera at Her Majestys Theatre and it was the best version of this play I have seen. I cannot say enough good things about Inga.

The room is typically small but clean and we had the private bath. The room was quiet and comfortable and the breakfast was as good as it gets. Bacon, sausage, eggs, cereal, toast, fruit, and if you are not full they will make more. The staff is all excellent.

A block from the Marble Arch, bus, and tube.

Room Tip: You may request a room with private bath if that is important to you. Of course it is a little more...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Booked parkwood after reading reviews here on TA. And I am very thankful that I did. Everything was excellent. The staff are very nice and friendly and helpful. There was a mishap when i checked in. The lady from reception gave me room 6, which apparently does not have a private bathroom. As soon as I am in the room, she comes knocking saying that this is the wrong room for me. From what I see, I would have been fine with that room as it seems really comfortable and ok in size, except for that it does not have its own bathroom. She then escorts me to the correct room. The room I booked, room 5, is on the first floor. (US 2nd). It has it's own bathroom and toilet. The room is a good size. In fact it is bigger than I expected. It has high ceilings and a full ceiling to floor window, which makes the room even larger. The bed is very comfortable. I can sleep in that bed for a very long time. A very relaxing way to end the day spent walking and walking around the sites. There is a tv, coffee/tea making appliance, a radio alarm clock, and a safe.
The breakfast is very very good. Not just the food but the staff as well. There is always a bowl of grapefruit. Also a choice of orange, grapefruit, apple juices. Coffee or tea is also served. There are lots of cereal choices as well. A staff will come get your order and she will then give you some toast. When you finish eating and still not full, you can even ask for more!
Location: parkwood is just about 5 minutes walk to the tube station, Hyde Park, and all shops along Oxford street. You cannot find a hotel in this area that offer the same low rate. Everything is just awesome. I would recommend parkwood to anyone and I will come back when I am back in London.

Room Tip: Room 5 faces the street but there is minimal to no noise at all. I slept fine all night.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed 3 nite on dec2011... Excellent service.. Friendly staff.. With internet access... No lift.. We are lucky to get first floor for our room.. Room is big comfortable bed... English breakfast.. Great location.. What more can I say!!! Hotel is clean.. Loving it.. Sure to come back again...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends