“Great value!”

Parkwood at Marble Arch
Ranked #26 of 579 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Inga greeted us playfully and we had a great 2 night stay. Three of us shared a room and it was large enough for a budget room. We were on the first landing, so the stairs weren't a problem. The beds were comfy and the shower adequate. The breakfast was good, although we would have preferred a fresh grilled tomato to a canned one. The location was great, as it was a short walk to Hyde Park and walking distance from Harrods (a healthy walk). One night we walked to Marks and Spencers and ate our food and wine on the outdoor terrace which had a picnic table. Our room had a balcony, which was fun to stand on and watch the foot traffic below (very minimal, very quiet). Our plans changed and we checked out one day early and were only charged 60%, rather than the 100% as expected. Sadly, they were unable to resell the room...but that happens. We had a car and received something like 40% off a local carpark, which was appreciated, as parking can be very expensive in large cities.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank uktravels12

Reviewed June 25, 2012

My husband and I spent a week at the Parkwood in late April. Thanks to Trip Advisor reviews, we knew about all the stairs so we requested a ground floor room when we made our early booking. The Parkwood was only too happy to make a downstairs room available for us.
The hotel is in a wonderful position, so close to the Hop On Hop Off bus, local buses and the tube. It is also close to fast food outlets, convenience stores, pubs and restaurants.
The staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfasts were very good.
The rooms, whilst not luxurious, are perfectly adequate, quiet, warm and very clean. The free WiFi connection was much appreciated.
We were most impressed with the service - we had 2 very minor issues with a hairdryer and a leaking tap and both these problems were attended to immediately.
We would have no hesitation in staying here again. We were very impressed that we were able to find clean, comfortable accommodation at such a reasonable cost and so conveniently located.

Room Tip: Book early and ask for a downstairs room if stairs are a problem for you.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank martyQueensland
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Only stayed one night at the "Harry Potter's room" which had an entrance under a staircase, but upon entering and taking a few steps up you're greeted by a tiny and cosy room with a large window overlooking the back of the house. The room was bright and airy, clean and complete with a small TV, wash basin and coffee/tea facilities. Bathroom was shared, a flight of stairs down, but I don't think anyone else uses it, so it was still rather private. The house was very quiet at night, and street sounds barely audible despite the fact that it's located a short walk away from Oxford Street. The staff, Inga and Lidia were really friendly and helpful with tips, directions etc. For the price, would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants somewhere clean, homely and comfortable to stay in for a few nights while catching the sights and shopping London has to offer.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank E F
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We stayed in this hotel in late November/early December and what a fabulous hotel it is! It has to be one of London’s best kept secrets. We arrived early evening by taxi and from the time we entered the office we found the hotel to be a warm, inviting refuge from the wintery weather outside. The office doubles as a cosy sitting room, complete with Christmas tree!

Our room was surprisingly large for two adults and one 11-year-old. It had great clothing storage options with a full chest of drawers and wardrobe, so we were able to unpack and make ourselves at home for our whole stay. The room had a desk and two chairs, tea/coffee facilities, flat screen tv, a small washbasin in the room and ensuite shower and toilet.

Our room overlooked the street below – it’s in a fabulous area surrounded by expensive homes with cars waiting outside (complete with private driver sitting in them, killing time watching tv or movie while he waits for the owner) – many Ferraris and Lamborghinis as well. All in all it is a very safe feeling area.

We could see the lights of the Christmas market in Hyde Park from the hotel – and Marble Arch tube station is a 2-minute walk around the corner. There are many fast food options nearby including McDonalds, KFC, Sainsburys supermarket, Starbucks (or similar) – and the shops of Oxford Street start right near the tube station. On the next parallel street (Edgeware Road) there are some great, cheap restaurants – many Middle Eastern and Indian.

Breakfast was a wonderful start to the day – always plenty – and more if needed! The girl who cooked and waited tables was lovely, always friendly and provided excellent fast service, always noticing if you needed something without having to be asked. There was a big choice of cereal, juice, tea, coffee, toast – and baked beans, sausages, eggs cooked to order. The breakfast room seems really small but we never had to wait for a table.

The rooms are always cleaned immaculately. In-room wifi was a bonus (just ask reception for password). The heating worked well and the room was always warm. Reception staff seemed very friendly, we just did not see very much of them as they are tucked away in the office and if you don’t specifically enter the office before you go up the stairs, you miss them.

We paid £99 for three and could not ask for cheaper so close to the inner city. We will definitely stay again, and have sung this hotel’s praises to all we meet.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank monkelpunkel
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I just had a wonderful 3 night stay at Parkwood Hotel. It was a marvelous experience. All of the staff were exceptionally attentive and helpful.

I had Room 17 on the top floor for the first night. The steps are very steep, but not a major problem if you take your time. The room was cozy, had a double bed, and was very comfortable — definately worth the climb. The shared bath was modern, never occupied when I needed it, and there was instant hot water in the shower. I left my main suitcase in reception and only took my computer case and a small bag of essentials up with me. This was ideal for me since the reception is locked during the night.

The hotel staff moved me to Room 6 for the next 2 nights. Room 6 is the room under the stairs and I loved it! When you enter, there is a tiny lobby space with a large closet to the left. As you turn to the right, there are 5 steps up to the bedroom. It is a great space with a lovely view of the back gardens and trees of other building. Although it is small, it has a built-in single bed, is very well layout, and very comfortable with plenty of storage. The bath is down one flight of stairs and had a terrific deep tub as well as a shower — also never occupied when I needed it.

I used the wireless connection during my entire stay, and there was an exceptionally good connection in both of the rooms I occupied. If you do not have your own computer with you, there is a computer in reception

I had a full breakfast every morning, which was promptly served and delicious. And then there is the ideal location of the hotel. It is great access for both bus and tube travel, close to many train stations, centrally located for shopping, museums, and restaurants, and very close to the wonderful parks. I have stayed in the Marble Arch area before and have been very pleased with its convenience.

The staff called for taxis when i needed them and that made getting to the train station very easy.

I will definately be returning to the Parkwood Hotel on my next trip to London.

Room Tip: If you have trouble climbing stairs, be sure to tell the staff when you reserve the room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank uliggam
Reviewed May 31, 2012

It was a last minute booking but the management accommodated my request. I got a single attic room at Parkwood B&B, Stanhope Place after searching high & low for a place to stay. The establishment is in a housing area and feels like a sweet English country side set-up. Upon arrival, I was greeted by the reception. I was given a room in the attic, which was 4 floors up - I had to go up approx 8 flights of stairs to reach my room. I was totally exhausted beyond words - perhaps it was the bag that I had to drag up with me since there was no lift and I can't get any help with my luggage...despite all that, they placed 3 stalks of huge red roses outside the attic which was really thoughtful & sweet of them. It placated me and put in a mood to seize the day.

Parkwood is in prime location and it took me only 10 mins of walk to reach Marble Arch. I went about my business at Marble Arch and continue exploring the shops at Oxford Street and Bond Street. I had a splendid time. Shopping was great since we can get tax rebates from Global Blue on our purchases especially at Selfridges, Jane Norman and the shoe boutiques at Bond Street. There's also a hop on hop off bus which costs around GBP23-29.

Ok, back to Parkwood. The reception was kind enough to let me leave my other bag with them as it was far too heavy for me to carry it up the 8 flight of stairs. I did my post shopping packing at the reception and the girl patiently waited for me to finish my business and leave the bag there for the night. I did not worry about security, have no reason to. For GBP59 per night, I got a queen size bed, a TV, a wardrobe, sink to wash my face, tea set for my own making and breakfast. However, the room is not level (the floor is uneven) and I felt dizzy due to the imbalance. It was claustrophobic but it has a small netted window just to let some air in. The room was very small in size. The bed cover was woolly and am not sure how clean it was. Bathroom is shared but I have no complaints.

I had to rush to Paddington Station in the morning. Breakfast wasn't ready yet but they allowed me to just have a go. I went downstairs and to my pleasant surprise, the place exudes warmth and a country feeling to it. It was a great 'English Breakfast' experience. The kitchen staff provided a nice spread, which was all halal (just don't take bacon). You can't go wrong with boiled egg, bread & jam and cereals. The range of tea choices and cereals/muesli are absolutely great. If I stay here again, it would be for this reason and the roses :)

Upon my departure, the staff didn't even bother to offer to help me manage my luggage to through the entrance. I was carrying a few heavy ones, the least she could have offered to hold the door for me. I felt let down. But nevertheless, this place is great value for money, serves great breakfast, is in a prime location and has an English country feel to it due to the flowers and ambiance.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank adventuregirl78
Reviewed May 31, 2012

As long as you realize that you may have to carry your bag up 4 flights of stairs, that would be the thing that would keep you from staying here. My family stayed on floors 2, 3 and 4. All the rooms were clean and only the single room on floor 4 had a shared bath. The staff was very friendly and helpful with any questions we had. They directed us to a great pub. Perfect for our first night in London. There is a computer for guest to use in the office, which is a nice convenience. The breakfast is served downstairs below the office-yes-some more stairs!! the morning meal was more than adequate. The location could not be better, about 4 blocks from the subway and very close to Hyde Park. Check out the rates compared to other places in London, it is a great value.

Room Tip: You will be walking, so come prepared.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family