“Great Stay”

Parkwood at Marble Arch
Ranked #23 of 572 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 22, 2011

This is an excellent budget B&B. I stayed for 9 nights with my mother in a twin en suite. Very good location about a 5 min walk from the Marble Arch Tube station and loads of different bus routes. Good Breakfast and lots of places in the area to get meals. The staff that we dealt with were friendly and helpful. We did have to leave the window cracked open at night even in December as the heating was uncomfortable with the window closed but with it cracked open the temperature in the room was just right. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Keep in mind that as others mentioned there are only stairs to access the floors. We were on the 3rd floor(2 flights of stairs) and it was a little difficult to get the large suitcases up but it was doable.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank em129

Reviewed December 10, 2011

The location in unbeatable for a budget conscious travellers. At the edge of Hyde Park and walking distance to major attactions and shopping; one can even join the morning joggers and enjoy the tranquility of the park before a busy day of sightseeing. Breakfast was decent and adequate. Staff was very friendly and endeavours to answer all questions one may have. The room was small but quiet and comfortable, with ensuite bath. The only downside was the absence of a lift, but it did not matter to us. Overall, a gem in central London without breaking the bank.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2011

My friend and I stayed at the Parkwood in July 2011 for an extended weekend. although we already booked in February, we get one of the last free rooms.
The hotel is only 5 minutes by foot from the Marble Arch tube station. The hotel is clean and offers great value for money.
Our room was on the 1st floor, above the entrance area, from our “balcony” (it really wasn’t one but we stepped outside nevertheless), we could already see Hyde Park. The street was quiet and not too busy.
The double bed was comfortable, there was a radio-clock, TV and tea/coffee self-service in the room. The wardrobe was a little wobbly but o.k. A safe is also available.
The bathroom is fitted with sink, toilet and shower. It was small, functional and clean.
The breakfast room is located in the basement and also very clean. Full English breakfast is available but one could chose, what you wanted to eat, you didn’t have to take the full thing. On each table there were 2-3 different types of jam. There were also some cereals, juices, tea and coffee.
The staff of Parkwood is very very friendly and helpful and we really enjoyed our visit there.
The location is superb right next to Marble Arch and where Oxford Street ends. Right around the corner is the Arabian quarter of London, amazing oriental food and sweets are available.
Next time we’ll definitely go there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank zwipsel1982
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We needed a place for one night as we were attending a charity dinner at the Grosvenor House and couldn't afford to stay there. This was the best value we could find within a ten minute walk and for one or two nights I'd say it was perfectly acceptable. We had an en suite twin room on 3rd floor - not big or plush, but beds were comfortable, shower was hot and we had everything we needed. The room was a little warm and there was some street noise but all in all a good package. Breakfast the following morning was not fancy but again nothing to complain about and service was polite. For what we paid (£95) virtually on top of Marble Arch we were very happy.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Skelligman
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This is a bed and breakfast for budget travelers. I stayed there for 2 nights in non-peak season March 2011 at the price 59 pounds for a single room without bathroom. For this price, I didn't expect to have a room with broken furniture. The shower area is so small that I kept on bumping into the walls. The water pressure was so low that I could not properly wash my hair.

Despite the condition inside, the location is great and within walking distance to Oxford Street. The area is quiet. The English breakfast was superb too. The staffs serving breakfast was nicest and best within the hotel.

Staff was friendly but not very helpful. Only a guest helped me to bring my heavy luggage up to 5th floor all the way up the narrow staircase. Staff did not think it included into service. Asking for direction only got me vague answers.....

Um..... I do think it was the worst B&B I have ever stayed so far in my travel life and ruined my impression of London a bit.

I understand that other reviews said highly of this B&B. That's why I chose this one in the first place. May be others were more lucky than me....

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank PhoenixYip
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I hate to write this review because I'm afraid that once everyone finds out about this little gem I won't be able to get my reservations there when I travel. Except for the fact that there isn't a lift and you have to carry your bags, I can't think of one negative thing to write about.

I am a 56 year old woman who traveled alone and I highly recommend this spot. Very secure!!!

It's at a GREAT location near the Marble Arch tube stop yet it's on a quiet street. Around the corner from some great Arabic restaurants, fresh fruit/veggie stands.

The room (I had a triple) was small, but very nice. Clean with a teapot and ammenities. En suite I had was very clean.

The staff went above and beyond...especially at breakfast. Again, the room and tables were very clean and they went out of their way to make sure you had breakfast the way you wanted it...and made sure you had ENOUGH of it.

I am really hoping to book again next June (and will book my room as soon as my travel dates become finalized)!!!!

Hope to add photos once I go through them all...

Room Tip: I don't know about the other rooms, but I wanted "en suite" and the only one left was...