“Nice place”

Ranked #588 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Abingdon, United Kingdom
“Nice place”
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

This is a good place to stay, very helpful and friendly staff very prompt to serve the guests. They offer a delicious British breakfast and the hotel is well located near to bus stations and Paddington station which allows you to nove wherever you want.

There are not lifts, so if you are in a higher floor you will need to be friend if the stairs.

I would come back to stay here...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Polish first
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I visit London frequently and we always stay at St. David's Hotel. It is just a very short distance from Heathrow Connection/Express. The staff, especially Pavan, are very friendly. The "bathroom", although tiny, has very good water pressure and taking a shower was a pleasure. The breakfast was excellent and plentiful. I will continue staying there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I spent 6 nights at St David's Hotel. It is just one block from Paddington station on the pretty tree lined Norfolk Square. I opted for a single room and the 2nd and a half floor (my room fell between the 2nd and 3rd floors with a private entrance with steps up to the the door). It was only 45 quid a night so had no shower or toilet but the room did have a sink. The bed seemed to be brand new and very comfortable and there was a flat screen tv which was unexpected for an older budget hotel. The room was small but clean and met my needs. I would have removed the dated picture hanging over the bed - it was pretty hideous and a blank wall would have been preferable. The bathroom/shower was only about 10 steps from my room so pretty convenient...except that the toilet wouldn't flush properly. The shower on the 2nd floor was fine but i ended up using the bathroom on the 1st floor during my stay. There also were no sinks in the first or second floor bathrooms so I was washing my hands in the shower. The 4th floor bathroom had a toilet, shower and sink.

You could pay for internet service in your room or use the free internet in the lobby. So I spent an hour or so each day on my netbook in the lobby and it was pretty entertaining. I got to see a lot of the other patrons and became friendly with a few. The young guy at the desk (owner's son) was fantastic. He was very upbeat and was going out of his way to help everyone with any need they might have. Unfortunately he left for the weekend for a vacation in Spain. Most of the other desk staff was good but he was exceptional. One older gentleman working the desk was counting down the days to his retirement and had his final night there during my stay. There was one guy I was NOT impressed with though. He was younger but not particularly friendly. One night I came home and someone had either spilled their dinner or gotten sick on the stairs between my room and the bathroom. I went down to report it and he said he was sorry but it would have to wait till the cleaning staff came in the morning. i told him it was disgusting and I was afraid of stepping in it on my way to the bathroom. He told me I should just use the one on the 4th floor instead! Not exactly great customer service. I hung out in the lobby on my netbook long enough and another woman came down to report it. He told her he knew about it and pointed to me as having told him. I told her that he wasn't going to do anything about it and it would be sitting there till the morning. She asked if he could at least cover it up with a towel so that is exactly what he did. Still pretty gross but when i woke up in the morning, thankfully, the mess was gone.

The stay included free breakfast and when I arrived early on the day of my check in the young desk clerk recognized my name and immediately sent me down for breakfast before the kitchen closed! My stay wasn't supposed to start till that afternoon so I was highly impressed that they offered breakfast to guests who arrive by 9am. They serve either a continental breakfast (yogurt, muesli, croissant, toast, tea/coffee and OJ) or full-English (eggs, bacon/ham, sausage, tomatoes, baked beans, toast, tea/coffee and oj). I opted for full-English without eggs and it was tasty and filling! Other days I opted for continental and they also allowed folks to mix and match! The owner was also the chef and would come out and ask how everyone was doing. His wife helped serve the food and also filled in at the desk when the son was away. All the breakfast staff was friendly and efficient.

The location is great as it is minutes from both Paddington station and Lancaster station. One can get anywhere in the city from those stations. There were also bus stops within easy walking distance and I enjoyed taking a double decker bus home from Picadilly Circus Sunday night. It is also about a quarter mile from Hyde Park. A neat thing nearby are the horse stables on Bathhurst Mews - about 1.5 blocks away. It is a cobblestone road that you enter through a little arch just off of London street past Sussex Square. (If you get to the Barry House Hotel you have gone a few steps too far.) It was a fun way to walk to Hyde Park or to Lancaster station down this road as people kept going out on horse rides from there. I also highly recommend Restaurant San Marco, just a few steps from the hotel on London Rd. It had FANTASTIC Italian food. Don't let the line of people outside discourage you as the tables turned pretty quickly. We ended up waiting less than 15 mins after originally considering going elsewhere upon seeing the line.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for budget travelers. It is NOT a fancy hotel so may not be for all. For those who just want a clean and comfortable place to rest their heads in a super friendly environment, this is your place!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank hugswims
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We are rare visitors to London, so not sure what you can get on average for about 90 pounds in West London, but this hotel probably comes pretty close. We were lucky because we got a 1st floor room overlooking the "gardens" (=the street) - but it was impossible to book a specific room in advance so we were nervous before checking in about whether we are going to be put in the basement ("lower ground floor") or not.

The room and the en-suite bathroom were extremely small (the bed also a bit too small for 2 people). The service was friendly enough, but we found it a bit unusual that they wanted us to pay in advance (originally even before seeing the room).

Breakfast was ok (also because - visiting for a weekend from continental Europe we were looking forward to the 'full English'), but served quite early (till 9am but you are expected to show up well before...), the service was friendly though a bit chaotic at what must have been the peak hour around 8:45.

The location is convenient, but a bit lifeless - this does not seem to be a genuine neighbourhood as all of it seems to have been converted into hotels (this sort of 'hotel desert' seems to be stretching all the way to Notting Hill). There is a night corner shop nearby (with ridiculously overpriced fruit - pure ripoff, and no prices displayed, beware)

Overall, just OK for a weekend stay if you are spending all your day out of the room anyway, but nothing to be excited about.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 8, 2013

From the moment we booked the staff were friendly and helpful, great suggestions of what to do and where to eat nearby. Breakfast was good and plentiful. The weather was very warm so rooms tended to stay warm but it is a lovely spot across from the park.
Great value for money and fantastic position for public transport.

Room Tip: No lift and no air conditioning. Didn't really look for kids activities as so much to do in Lond...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed at St. David's because of the cost and location. The staff was very helpful and friendly and the breakfast was very good. If you expect satin sheets and room service you can spend many more Euros down the road at the high price 5 star hotel. If you want a clean place to stay with a friendly staff then this is a good value.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank OnaNickle
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

stayed here for 1 night whilst visting my mum in hospital and what a let down it was, we paid £90 for a special room( apecial being it had a toilet and shower attached to room) was very dissapointing 1stly if you have any mobility issues this isnt the place for you there is no ground floor accomadation and no lift we were stuck on the 3rd floor with hardly no stair lighting room itself quite small and bathroom had a huge step up to it then a portaloo and ting shower you couldnt turn round in the shower at all no tea coffee making facilities either one of the worst hotels we have stayed in the only highligt being the breakfast was ok and the waiting staff were all very good and happy and helpful but that was the only highlight of our stay we WONT BE STAYING AGAIN NEVER

Room Tip: dont stay here pay extra and go el.sewhere
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple