“Great stay”
Review of St. David's Hotels

St. David's Hotels
Ranked #664 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Hi, Just got back,intomSydney after a 2 week break in London. I stayed at the St David's for the whole 2 weeks. To begin with, the location is excellent , literally out of Paddington station, walk up and out onto the footpath, cross the road , turn left at the first corner and you are at the from door of the hotel , literally 2 minute walk, so convenient for when you get back after a full day of being out and about. There are bus services all over the place, going to all parts of London. I was ablemto visit the London Zoo, Regent St, Oxford St, Kings Cross, St Pancras, British Musuem, and more and more , all from Buses direct , and all located around the streets of the hotel . Of course as mentioned above, the tube is also just down the road , but I preferred using the bus, less crowded, and you getbtomsee more. Also , as a tip , if you ate in London for a week , try and get a Weekly Oyster pass for £30, it gives you unlimited bus usage all over the place , any time , any day , and zones 1,2, on the tube . In regards to my room , I was in room 306, a great little room , overlooking Norfolk Park, it's own separate shower and toilet. The room was cleaned every day, new towels , rubbish removed, and , nice and warm when I got back in the evening, after , spending most of the day out and about freezing and cold. Also , the window opens as well, so nice to get some fresh air in as well. On a final note, and I leave the best for last, the Big Enhlish Breakfast that I had each morning, in different variants, and or sometimes continental , was very very nourishing. Fresh cooked eggs, beans , grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, bacon , toast as much as you like , tea, OJ, really good, the same meal and quality would cost you at least £8 pounds to eat outside, believe I had a good look around, lol . And all included, great stuff. I hope that this review does help people , as London , is a very expensive place, and where we all as travelers can save, is a good thing. Cheers

Room Tip: The higher the floors , the more steps, aaaaahrr
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
9  Thank billy30

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We chose St David's Hotels based on the reviews on Tripadvisor. We were looking for a budget hotel to stay close to our daughter for the first weekend of our trip to London. St David's ticked all the boxes as far as needing a quiet place to sleep, hot shower, and decent breakfast. In fact St David's pillows were the best I have ever slept on in any hotel. The shower, while hot and with plenty of water pressure was the only let down, with the hose not having a proper holder, and so you had to juggle the shower head little. Breakfast for the two mornings we were there, was plentiful and well cooked. The full English breakfast didn't skimp, and took you well past lunch time before needing to look at food again. The hotel had a really friendly feel, and every time we returning we were greeted at the desk, asked if all was well, and if there was anything we needed. The location was perfect for us. Not only close to our daughter, but it was a stone's throw from Paddington Station. We caught the Heathrow Connect, so was very simple to negotiate. The location was in beautiful Norfolk Square, which was lovely and quiet and had a very pleasant feel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Maria T
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We were 3 visiting London for a week. We LOVED St. David's. This confortable B & B is family-owned and located 1.5 blocks from Paddington Station. Comfortable walk to Hyde Park, Marble Arch and Kensington Palace. Four bldgs are interconnected with no lift. VERY friendly, helpful and knowledgable staff. (Especially Alex) The front desk is staffed 24 hours. Wifi is only available in the common areas but there are constant upgrades being made to the property so building-wide might be available in the future. The breakfast options are incredible. Cereal, toast, yoghurt, and, of course, the full English breakfast which is incredible! And the coffee is decent! There are several restaurants on the adjacent street - good and convenient. Rooms for 3 are available. Bring your own toiletries. Small bar soap is provided. Payment is made in advance - when you check in. The bathroom in the room is small but there are several common bathrooms available. TV and phones are in-room.

Room Tip: Our room was at the front of the hotel overlooking the neighborhood garden. The neighborhood is qui...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank TravelBug89523
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This was the 2nd time I'd stayed here in the past 2 months. Good value hotel in a central position with great acess to National Rail and the underground. Both can be accessed with a flat 5 minute walk to Paddington station.

The 2 different rooms were both clean and tidy, but I'd have to say I prefered room 9 (or was it 8) as it was in the rear in what appeared to be an old extension with a wonderful doomed window above the bed.

The hotel does pick up the noise from the underground but you find that in most groundfloor properties and it does stop at around midnight and you get used to it fairly quickly.

There was an issue with the heating on both occasions with it not starting till 7pm and my colleagues room was very cold for quite some time.

The bathrooms are simple but clean, but I'd love to have had a bigger towel than the single one provided. Hot water was hot (you don't get that in every hotel) and on a good pressure.

There isn't any tea/coffee tray but they have a free machine in recpetion.

Breakfast is provided in the breakfast room (novel!) in the basement. Orange juice, toast, tea coffee and a cooked breakfast. Is very tastey and we were asked several times if we wanted more.

The staff are exceptionaly friendly and more than happy to help and advise on travel, if needed, to the airport.

For 65 pounds for B & B in central London it was very good value. There is no food other thgan breakfast but there are ample places to eat within 5 minutes from burgers to Italian and Turkish as well as a number of good pubs serving food.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Robodragon
Reviewed December 21, 2012

As soon as you enter the hotel reception the warm and friendly atmosphere welcomes you. The owner and staff were welcoming and helpful. The rooms are cosy, clean and warm. The hotel is centrally located for walking and public transport and Hyde Park and it is perfectly positioned for events at Kensington Olympia as the No 27 bus goes from door to door. The cooked breakfasts, veggie and non-veggie, were scrumptious. Thank you very much.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Kirstiejim
Reviewed December 18, 2012

So me and my girlfriend went for a 4 days vacation to London, and I found this hotel. I thought it was going to be just ok, but it impressed be a lot.
First of all, the best thing is that is very near of the center of London. I like to walk, so what we did everyday was to go to Marble Arch to reach the center just walking. It takes 20 minutes, and 10 minutes using the underground, which is Paddington.
The room was nice too, small, simple, clean and nice. Nothing too special, but it was comfortable. The bathroom is like an airplane cabin, a little bit too small, but you have it for your own.
It was pretty clean, with some flaws on the wall and furniture.
The thing I noticed is that by midnight, they turn off the heater in the room, so it was a little bit cold, but the blankets helped a lot.
The service is a 100%. Alexis, the young guy, helped us a lot in our trips in the city, he gave us a map, directions, advices... Mad props to the people who owned the place!
I been in many hotels, from normal hotels to 5 stars, but by far, this was the best service I had.
The food is nice, they have an awesome english breakfast, but eating that everyday gets tiring a little bit. They should give more options.
For the price, is a really good option (like £60 per night) but it includes the breakfast already (think that an english breakfast in the city costs £9 already).
I went many times to London before, but this was the first time I needed a hotel. But I'm pretty sure that if I ever go over there again, I'm staying at this hotel.

Efharisto Poli!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RodPineberry
Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

As newly weds my husband & I needed somewhere on the more affordable side for our honeymoon in London. The St. Davids was perfect, they went over and above for us giving us a triple bed even though we only booked a double, they took all of our requests.The only complaint I had was the bed was a little hard, but it wasn't so much so that it hindered my sleep. The breakfast was great, very filling and probably the best fried eggs I've ever had. The location truly is great with a paddington station on either side of the road. It took us about 45-min from Heathrow to paddington via tube so if you have the time and don't mind transitioning you'll save yourself a bit by not doing the Heathrow express. Alex & his parents are just about the nicest people, I just can't say enough about our experience here!

• Stayed: December 2012