“Good budget hotel”
Review of St. David's Hotels

St. David's Hotels
Ranked #659 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We stayed here for 10 days. We got a somewhat bigger room because we were staying longer but to be sure some rooms are quite small. The breakfast is great! Hot, fresh, filling. Ideally located near Paddington station and many bus routes. Also many restaurants and pubs within a 3 minute walk. The staff go out of their way to be helpful. Spend some time in the lobby sitting and chat to fellow travellers. This is a no frills hotel for sure but the beds were very good-better than in some much more expensive hotels. We had a self-contained bathroom. Very small but manageable. There is no elevator so be prepared for some stairs. The internet worked in our room but you may have to go to the lobby for wi-fi. If you are looking for a good basic room, this is the place. Want frills? Go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the square. The ground floor tends to be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GPOZ

Reviewed June 5, 2012

I have visited London 8 times in past , and had stayed many B & B budget hotels, St David's hotel is the best i have ever stayed so far. We stayed in a triple room, though it is not very spacious, ( we did not have many big suitcases )...they change towels every day ...that's not every budget hotels normally do. The English breakfast is very good...and the waitress are freiendly and good memory ( one of the staff remember what we did not prefer on the dish ) !
Special thanks to Alex & Pavan, both of them are very friendly and responsive to what we asked for...tubes/bus direction, market spotlight, sightseeing place....which i really didnt respect before
i visited UK again.( since 2004 )....As a budget hotels with reasonable price,( GBP110 - a triple room ) , easy access ( 2 min from Paddington station ), full English breakfast is provided, what's more you are looking for ??

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Wendy C
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I was Not impressed with this hotel at all. The room was ok except for the bathroom which had pubic hair in the shower from the previous occupant and whiskers from his shave on the sink. I also noted a man stayed there because of the questionable stain on the sheets. The staff tried to remain nice to me but in the end when they found me another room that was also filthy, I still could not believe the filth and litter everywhere, they refused service. One would've thought they would've just cleaned the rooms instead!! In the end they blamed me for the mess, even though I'm a woman and coudn't have possibly shaved my legs in that cup they called a sink. I wouldn't turn people away from going there, but you need to know what you are getting when you get there. Oh and I refused to shower there especially if the cleaning staff couldn't even be bothered to rinse out the shower. Thanks but no thanks, there are other hotels in the area at the same price that offer more.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Ang M
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Look, you don't come to London to spend time in a hotel. This spot has a PERFECT location (2 min walk to Paddington Station) our room (#208) was clean and pretty good size with a big window overlooking Norfolk Square. They upgraded us a to a triple, which meant we could put our luggage on the extra single bed.
The bathroom is small (really small) but for what we wanted out of a hotel, it was just fine. The breakfast was fast and good. We actually met two different couples who had each been to the hotel over ten years in a row. They must be doing something right!
The desk help was great with helping us master the Tube, everyone very friendly
My only beef? They advertise wi-fi, but you have to sit in a specific chair in the "lobby" to get a strong signal.

Room Tip: #208 overlooks Norfolk Square, so if you sleep with the window open you will get some city noise, FY...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I recently stayed at St. Davids for two nights during May 2012. I first stayed at this hotel in 2008. The hotel is on Norfolk Square near Paddington Station where one can find numerous other budget hotels. Yes, the rooms and bathrooms are small, the stairways narrow, and the decor very basic and dated. Again, however, you should keep in mind that this is an inexpensive hotel and the smallness of rooms/bathrooms is typical in London and the various hotels on Norfolk Square. I continue to recommend this hotel because it is a well-run/efficient establishment, it is clean, and it is safe for families. I would rate this as one of the best budget hotels/inns in London.

Room Tip: Get the rooms with shared bathrooms--they are cheaper. For those of you not familiar with having a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank IMDigger
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I'm finding it hard to believe the reviews I've read of this hotel on this site (5 out of 5!!!!????) and for the first time ever felt the need to add a review of my own. The only good point I could mention regarding St David's is the location - lovely square and very near Paddington and therefore central London.

However... our party was totally disappointed overall with many aspects and, as a regular business traveller to London, this is possibly the worst hotel I've ever stayed in for the money. Our room was on the fourth floor, up some incredibly narrow and winding stairs (I didn't want to think about emergency access if there were ever a fire); the room had been put together with furniture acquired through hand-me-downs from the Salvation Army; the towels and soap bar were the smallest I've ever seen; if we'd needed to hang more than 2 items of clothing we'd have been in trouble; the breakfast was dire (don't ask for scrambled eggs or tea); service was appalling with about 10 of us queuing at one point (service finishes at 9.00 even at the weekend so you can imagine the last minute rush); decorating equipment left lying all over the place; handrails and window sills held together with duct tape etc etc etc.

We really didn't witness any friendly staff at all - maybe they were all off this weekend?

Yes, it's relatively 'cheap' for London (£240 for 2 nights, triple room) but there must be better value for money out there and it was galling paying that much for such poor facilities.

Room Tip: If you're not pretty fit make sure you get a lower floor room!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank 800romyr
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Back in this wonderfull hotel, since we were last here in November 2011. Had medical appointment in St Marys hospital. When I rang six months after our stay there last year, Alex remembered us by name, gave us same room as last time, ground floor. Arrived nearly midnight, noo problem whatsoever, the whole place is spotless, the english breakfasts the best, you are made so welcome, theres nothing they wont do for you, what more can you ask. In fact theres many a hotel out there, could learn a few things from these people. Will certainly be back, and recommend this to everyone.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business