“Friendly Hotel at Friendly Prices” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. David's Hotels

We can't find prices for this hotel
St. David's Hotels
Ranked #573 of 1,086 Hotels in London
San Francisco, California
“Friendly Hotel at Friendly Prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2012

I have stayed at the St. David Hotel in Norfolk Square several times, and I enjoy it more with each stay. It is friendly and family run and the staff cannot be more helpful. It is within easy reach of all the Central London attractions and there are plenty of places to eat nearby.

The rooms are small but comfortable with en suite facilities. For me one the attractions is the great breakfast. The breakfast staff are all friendly and helpful.

For me the only downside is that the hotel does not have a lift. I am severely crippled by arthritis and find walking up and down stairs very difficult. If you have mobility issues do make arrangements for a ground floor room. The televisions in the rooms also need to be updated.

But if you want a comfortable environment at reasonable prices in Central London, stay with the nice folks at the St. David Hotel.

Room Tip: Book ahead and be very clear about any special needs you have. I am a diabetic and needed facilitie...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Londonlover94117

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

Among the 50 or so B & Bs near Paddington Staion we were lucky to find Saint Davids at 20 Norfolk Square. Like its competitors it is in an old building without an elevator. However it is family run with someone always in reception anxious to help. This includes helping with bags,and providing help with sight seeing, restaurants and finding a good pub! They offer rooms from single to triple and with or without baths. Rooms are small but along with baths are very clean and beds are very comfortable. A wonderful English breakfast is included, cooked by one of the owners. Room rates are very reasonable. We will return when we next visit London.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

We just returned from an eight night stay at the St. David's in London. My husband and I are budget travellers and this hotel fit the bill perfectly (65GBP/night!). The hotel has a perfect location-- a two minute walk from Paddington Station--both the train from Heathrow and the tube that takes you all over the city. There are markets for drinks and snacks as well as good dining options also within a very brief walk. The breakfast was fantastic--they would bring you any variation of the things they offered, whether it be eggs, toast, croissant, no meat etc.

We had a double room with a shared bathroom and never had to wait for the shower/toilet. In our room the towels were changed and bed made every day, which was very nice. Like many others have said, the sheets/towels are clean and there is plenty of hot water. One of the best things about staying in a small, family operated hotel is that the staff make an effort to get to know you. When we checked in we were given a map and all kinds of info on things to do and how to get there. Also, we forgot our power adapter and they let us borrow one every night so my husband could charge his iPhone and I borrowed a hairdryer everyday as well.

I was worried because I saw some people comment about noise from the underground trains. I requested a room on the first floor (up one flight from the ground) and didn't notice any rumblings. Our room faced the square and while it wasn't loud to me, light sleepers should ask to not face this direction because you can hear cars etc. in the morning hours.

I did think the hotel overall was very clean, but I gave a 3star rating on cleanliness because I think the shared bath should have been cleaned each day and it didn't seem to be.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Danielle O
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

I have been in London for so many times and I was staying in St David's between 2nd - 4th Jan. We have so many heavy luggages and the staff (boss's son) has came out and helping us as soon as he spotted us out stuggling pull the luggages up to the stairs :D. Originally, our room is on 4th floor. But he has tried to re-arrange the room to us on the ground floor due to heavy luggages.
I also cannot find any fault for the morning breakfast. It was so delicious! I have to agree to others that "it was the best breakfast in London" :D
In general, the price is reasonable, the breakfast is nice, services is excellent, Staffs are friendly and cheerful :) Especially, the ladies in the breakfast lounge. They always have really nice smile. :)
Just a tiny issue is the hotel is too warm and hardly to open the window to let some fresh air in. :)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

I got really worried when they gave us a room at the basement right next to their dining hall. And true enough, the clatter from the kitchen stirred me from my sleep at 530 the next morning. To make it worse, a staff was doing her ironing right outside the room in the wee hours! That was the last straw and i requested for a room change. Was told no room available until the next day so we had to put up with the noise for another night. Owner promised to reduce our room rate for the first 2 nights.

And i suspect to make her point on the attractiveness of their basement rooms, they transferred us to a room at the top floor (4th floor). The last 2 flights of stairs was very narrow, but we managed.
When checking out, I had to remind them about the rate reduction promised to us. But was told that "unfortunately", we have already paid up in full and so it is not possible to reduce the room rate! In the first place, the hotel require full payment upon check-in!! I stood firm and eventually, they refunded a small token in cash. THe lady boss was present and i bluntly told her that that room B5 is not fit for guest stay. She brushed me off and commented that some guest love the room because they dun have the deal with the flight of stairs at upper level rooms. Well, there are many other rooms in the basement. My advice to other travellers is to avoid room B5 (unless they are willing to reduce the room rate by at least 30%)!
BTW, our next 2 nights on level 4 was quiet. We rested much better in the peaceful and larger room...

Room Tip: B5 in the basement is next to the dining hall. Unless you intend to wake at 530 every morning, avoid...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank homer23
Scottburgh, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

I was really disappointed when I arrived at this hotel and the room I had a confirmation for a room with shower and toilet, but sadly the toilet was shared in the passage with other guests. They were sorry the room I booked was "unavailable" but did however give me a fair reduction in rate. I have never slept in such a small room before, anywhere, ever! It was the length of the bed and shower and half as wide! All said, it was clean and serviceable. The BIG problem for me though was the 3 flights of stairs I had to climb to get to the room. Fortunately Alex, the owners son was on duty and cheerfully lugged my very heavy bags up all 3 flights of stairs. The breakfast is English and good. The coffee and hot toast are limitless and the coffee is excellent and i doubt if its English! I may even stay here again as its very convenient to Paddington Station for the fast train connection to Heathrow. If so I'll write again if i get a nicer room! They offered me a better room if I come again and like another reviewer, I think these small London hotels have widely varying room sizes.

Room Tip: I had a room looking over the square - its a nice view. However the most important thing is to make...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Tony K
Gibraltar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

after having stayed in hotels all over the world, how wonderfull to find in the centre of london, near St Marys hospital(where my business was), this family run hotel. There is absolutely nothing to find fault here, the reception staff, here 24 hours go out of their way to help you.
When you go down to breakfast in the morning, its a treat, nothing is too much to ask. The rooms are impecably clean, quiet, and so cosy. Theres free wifi, I felt so safe and relaxed..
Thank you to all the staff.

Room Tip: g8 was great
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business