“This hotel is a scam”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ivanhoe Suite Hotel
Ranked #1,041 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We had booked well in advance and paid deposit but when we arrived there were no rooms for us. It was not possible to reach the manager and they offered to pay a taxi to another hotel with available rooms. When we got to the other hotel there were available rooms but they were filthy. As the young guy in the reception said, 'this is London's lowest'.....I think that says it all. Of course we can not get our deposit back.

Now home again I can read that others have had the same experience. Don't book at the Ivanhoe Suite Hotel!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
11  Thank Sara G

Reviewed January 4, 2012

Despite reading the bad reports on this place before we stayed, we made a big mistake!! I dont think I have stayed anywhere as bad in my whole life and I have done some amount of travelling. Where to begin?!! Firstly we couldnt check in until 3pm, so we left our bags in there and had arranged to meet a member of staff at 3pm to get checked in etc. We waited in the rain and nobody showed up until 4pm. No apology, no excuse, nothing at all. We then went into the room, it was FILTHY, the bed hadnt been cleaned in ages and there was an awful smell.. We were given the bed sheets etc and did the beds ourselves. No toliet paper, no soap, and we were only given one small handtowl between my partner and I for 4 nights stay. Discracful. There was no reception desk there so we could not get any help from them at all. The room was so dirty and was very noisy (Being literally right beside Oxford Street) The only reason we booked this accomodation was that everywhere else was booked out for new years and it was the cheapest out of them all.. I would recommend anyone ever thinking of staying in this place, not to- its awful, it really is a filthy hotel

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
14  Thank Joan M
Reviewed November 10, 2011

- Telephone number given online did not work
- Nobody available at the hotel when we arrived, despite a scruffy note on the door saying reception would be open
- Shoddy, messy, dirty front of hotel (little door)
- Rude staff over the phone once contact made, little English spoken
- Charged more than the full nights stay even though we had to find another hotel!!

We have now contacted Budget Places.com regarding a refund. Very dissapointed.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank Nichola W
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Dirty? yes! But at least, no wall-to-wall carpets and, as far as we could tell, clean sheats & no bugs. The location is great and the area safe, so we kind of took the filth with humour. Upon arrival, we had a thorough do-it-yourself cleaning session with the help of antibacterial wipes (cost us 10 minutes and two pounds for 2 packs of wipes). OK, the blackened chewing gum on the floor remained there and I therefore left my socks on most of the time. The shower curtain was indeed moldy, but the water hot. The toilet seemed ok clean, we nevertheless gave it an antibacterial swipe, too. The staff was ok & mostly friendly and since we arrived in the afternoon, we did not have any problem with the check-in.

Good and affordable breakfast is served just across the little (car-free) square and Bond street underground at two minutes walking distance. Overall: The Ivanhoe is cheap and a bit strange, but we spent the money we saved on shopping & good food in town. I hope they soon get a grip or sell the place to someone else, because you actually could turn this into a pearl. Although it turned out to be an enjoyable London weekend for us, we will certainly look for another place to sleep the next time around.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Uta H
Reviewed September 20, 2011

The only decent thing about this rat hole is that it's location is fantastic. 1 block from Oxford Street and all the shopping. Aside from that, AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS!!!!
We're pretty sure it's never been cleaned in the past 10 years. It was so bad, that when we checked in (after a fight with the 'receptionist' on the phone, because the front door was locked with a scrap piece of paper taped to it saying 'call this number', all of which was never mentioned anywhere on the booking details, and we were forced to go find a phone to use to call) there was dirty towels, full garbages and just general grime all over the room from the previous visitor. The bed had been made up, but we weren't sure if it was fresh sheets, so we didnt even get under the blankets for fear of finding filth, and ended up using towels for blankets. (in addition, we had to go ask for towels and toilet paper because there were neither when we got into the room)
The bathroom has mould everywhere and hair all over the floor and walls from previous vistors aswell.
Basically, aside from the decent price, this place is absolutely disgusting and we would HIGHLY recommend not setting foot in it.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank mikenovacane
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I booked this hotel through London30.com, and I also sent a follow-up email to the hotel itself to confirm my reservation (having never used London30 before), and they said everything was fine. Four months later I show up there and and the hotel door is locked and no one answers the phone. I call a number on the door and am told someone will come to let me in. An hour passes, I call again, and finally a man appears and says, Sorry, but you do not have a room here. I get angry at this point, show him all my documentation (I've very careful, plus have lived in Europe and have visited in perhaps 20 times, so am no beginner), and he says, yes, but that doesn't matter, the owner has several hotels and he'll move people around, so you have a room a 1/2 mile away. Why no call or email, I asked. This man, having gone through this with many travelers, said, "The owner does not care." So i had to move all my things, and then scramble to meet my son who was meeting me at that hotel (and his cell was not working), which caused a few more hours of hassle. When I got home to the States, I immediately contacted the London30 site and got no answer to any of my complaints. So, I'm warning all travelers to avoid that site, this hotel, and the other hotels owned by this owner who "does not care" - one of these is the hotel I was moved to, Berkeley Court Hotel on Upper Berkeley Street; 3 of 4 more are part of his chain, but I don't know which. All reputable hotel search sites should also strike these hotels off their lists, as I tried to get London30 to do. I am not a fussy traveler and have never complained about any hotel or anything before, but this was so outrageous I feel obligated to pass on my displeasure and this warning.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank travelled5
Reviewed July 13, 2011

As I arrived by Ivanhoe Suite Hotel, I was told that my reservation (for which I had already payed) had been cancelled, as rooms were full.
They indicated to me another (far away) hotel, to which they regularly send customers. This mechanism seems to be common, as "complice" hotel accepts to pay taxi transfer and charges same fare.
Not much choice when London is full and night is coming...

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends