“Great location, comically small and basic”
Review of Fairways Hotel

and 1 more site!
Fairways Hotel
Ranked #868 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Fairways is brilliantly located, just 5 minutes from Paddington Station. It is relatively close to Lords Cricket Ground (I was in London to see the cricket) and I could walk there in about 20 minutes. The area has plenty of nice cafés and restaurants and cosy spots to hang out. The Paddington Underground station links in with several lines, so it is easy to get to most of central London is a timely fashion.
I found the staff to be fairly indifferent - they were efficient enough, but on occasion they hardly noted my presence (they require you to drop off the room key when you go out, so I was in and out of reception every day). The room was kept clean enough, although it was showing its age. I was using a communal bathroom, which was not too bad, and despite it being next door to my room the noise from other using the bathroom was not too bad.
My problem with Fairways is simply the price they were charging for such a small room. In any other place in the world it would be laughable, but in central London apparently that's just the way it is - my room was about 3 metres x 2 metres, barely enough for a single bed, small coffee table and TV tucked in the corner. It was just irritating that I was spending so much and getting so little. And, my room overlooked a café at the rear of the hotel, so there were people talking and yelling in the café's courtyard until all hours, so sleep was a little hard to come by some nights.
Fairways charge far too much for what they are, but that is just a London thing. Given that there is no real alternative, I would stay and Fairways again and recommend them to others - they are average, no more and no less.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank Fiver75

Reviewed December 25, 2010

The hotel was terrible... we booked a double room with en suite facilities, we arrived and our room was a TWIN room (beds opposite side of the room) with just a sink in one corner, the 'team' shower was down the corridor. When we went to the reception with our booking information, the staff were rude, obnoxious (French), and refused to give us our correct room without charging us even though it was later found that the price difference between the two rooms was ZERO! We had to pay otherwise we would have had nowhere to stay, and trust me we tried elsewhere. The manager, Mike Chris (a Richard Branson wannabe judging by his self-grooming), was unprofessional, rude, and even walked away from us when we asked what he could do do help us.

There were no lifts and they moved us to a room on the top floor with our suitcases and didn't even offer to help. Even when proved to have lied on their website and numerous complaints written we still haven't received our refund for the 'upgrade' that we are entitled to and the emails were going between us for months after. They have ignored me since August.

The hotel ruined what was an otherwise excellent 4 days in London and the only thing I would recommend is you stay AWAY from this hotel and its rude, unprofessional, obnoxious and arrogant staff. Please feel free to contact me about this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
4  Thank EGTESkyGod
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Arrived at 8pm, the reception staff at the neighbouring hotel (which belonged to the same group) were polite, found my reservation and also showed me to the room. The moment I saw the room I was shocked. The bed sheet looked like it was 100 year old. The heater did not work and the bathroom was just next door. You could hear the person taking a shower at 11pm. Did not sleep all night as people opened the main door and you could hear every conversation and the foot steps from people climbing the stairs. The shower was horrible, no hot water. The only good thing about this place is the location but will never stay here again. I vacated the hotel at 8am although my train from paddington was only at 9.45.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank MCNSonholiday
Reviewed March 9, 2010

Room furnishings & fixtures from the 1970s, but comfortable. Separate bathroom was behind a thin wall next to the room but luckily no-one else used it while I was asleep. Very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
1  Thank Devon69
Reviewed October 16, 2009

not too bad given the location. rooms were really old, felt like someone had maybe died in there.
got some sleep though and its on a quiet area and easy to find.
not overly clean.
female receptionist was very rude.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 5, 2009

We got a twin room at £40 per night for the room, an excellent price and a five minute walk from Paddington Station and the Bayswater Underground. There is a bar next door but there are others in the local area that are just as nice. God amount of take aways and coffee shops. There is also an internet cafe round the corner and many of the cafes have WIFI while the hotel does not. Kensington Gardens is within walking distance which was nice in the evening and the street itself isn't too busy, considering it's quite central.

The room was clean, though the decor is old fashioned, gloomy with torn wall paper. As stated elsewhere the shower was freezing, which wasn't great and there was no light in the toilet at one point, to be fair this was quickly fixed. Generally tere wasn't much spae ut we were expecting that. The walls are quite thin and we could easily hear next door but as we had quiet neighbours this wasn't an issue. No reception on TV which looked about 25 years old. I wouldn't want to stay for any longer than a couple of nights but I have no real complaints about the actual hotel because we got a clean room in a good location at a fantastic price.

The only thing I would complain about is the maner of the young reception at the desk incredibly rude. It was the same girl we spoke to on arrival and departure and she acted with utter disdain, rolled her eyes, was very abrupt and looked as if her face would crack if attempted to smile. We didn't ask any questions or make any complaints just checked in and out. I know this was cheap accomodation but her colleague was treating other customers with good maners and she could have done the same thing. I rarely make personal comments about people in the service industry because I work in it myself and know how horriblet it can be but she had no reason to be so unpleasant with us and to be honest was the rudest person we met on the entire trip

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carriechiz
Reviewed July 24, 2009

Small room with bed, TV, sink, wardrobe and bedside cabinet. Kettle and coffee / tea. Surprisingly quiet at the back. Bar available in hotel next door. Breakfast available - but cheaper options in cafes roundabout - I can vouch for Luigi's in Spring Street. Staff friendly and helpful. Reasonable price £35 for a single. Handy for publ;ic transport (tube, bus and mainline rail services) and also an easy walk to central London.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo