“nice hotel but...”

Ranked #223 of 1,069 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“nice hotel but...”
Reviewed September 12, 2009

I stayed in this hotel for a week, spending around 700£ for a double room ensuite. The hotel offers a good service as cleaning and breakfast, but honestly I found some lacks I wouldn't expect for the price I paid. First of all the noise insulation: you can hear every single step in the upper floor, and in my room, since the bathroom was next the bedroom, it was impossible to sleep when the other was in the shower. Plus almost half of the sockets where fake, just 2 sockets working in the bedroom and 2 working free in the sitting room (we sometimes unplugged the tv when it was turned off). Another thing, the curtain in the bathroom. I hated it stuck on while I was under the shower. These last things could appear minor problems, most of all considering the average of the hotels in london, but honestly I was expecting more for the price I paid...

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank erishine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Australia
Reviewed August 29, 2009

Having checked the comments on Trip Advisor my wife & I decided to stay at the Darlington. It was a very good choice. After reading of the squeaky floor problem I asked for a room on the top floor and was allocated room 404. The room was clean, as was the en-suite area.
We over looked the main road which allowed plenty of fresh air and the small table fan along with the open window worked well to keep the temperature just right for a good nights sleep.
There was ample storage space - we were travelling with two large suitcases to cover three climates.
A lift to all floors, small library of paperbacked books, TV in the room (good reception), security is very tight - electronic key to the front door, another locked door to gain access to the inner area of the hotel and of course another lock for your room.
We found the staff to be friendly and polite. The breakfast was very good - as mentioned by others the hot food is cooked to order and the portions were generous.
We have already sent copies of the hotel brochure to our UK friends who visit London frequently.
The location is very good - five minute walk to the underground, many passing taxi cabs, plenty of restaurants & pubs in the area. Close to a large shopping strip which includes a Marks & Spencer. It was an eight minute walk, towing our suitcases, to Paddington railway station to catch the Heathrow Express.
We would be happy to return to the Darlington Hotel next time we are in London.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Geoff W
Virginia
Reviewed August 17, 2009

After hours of research on this site, as well as others, I chose the Darlington for a four night stay in London. We were very pleased with every aspect of this hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful, the breakfast suitable, the room was airy and comfortable. The hotel is located in a convenient area, a five minute walk to Paddington Station. From there we were able to hop on the underground to every sight in London. We were also happy with the neighborhood, we walked back to the hotel many times very late at night and felt perfectly safe. Additionally, there were several excellent restaurants in the area and some great pubs as well. Even though the street was busy, the noise never bothered us, we both slept soundly every night. We will definitely choose the Darlington again, and would recommend this hotel to our friends and family.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 30, 2009

I had stayed at the Darlington six years ago, and was enchanted. It is certianly in an excellent location, the staff was friendly and welcoming, the room clean and lovely. I have long wanted to return as I travel to London quite frequently. Sadly it just hasn't worked out (the place is booked, or it is out of the budget range of traveling companions). So I was thrilled to get a room on the last leg of my latest tour. I have stayed at a lot of budget/traveler hotels in London and am well used to the closet sized single rooms, so I was prepared.

While the young woman who checked me in was lovely (though rather rude to the other gentlemen who were checking in and arrived before me - she ignored them and checked me in first), that was about the extent of the service. Yes the room was small, and I was okay with that. The bathroom needed work, like treating the shower head to remove scale. It was more of a power wash than a shower. The two problems I approached the desk with were completely dismissed and unresolved. One was issues with my internet access, which was met with the notion that I should try the local internet cafes. The second was the dryer in the communal laundry not working - no note to indicate this, so I found it out when I had a load of wet clothes. The answer was "oh. It must not be working." with no other offer of help. Nothing could be done, apparantly, until his shift was over.

This was not the Darlington I recall. The inconveniences were mostly minor, but they were irritating and built on one another. The service did not match the room rate. It was quite disappointing.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank NVNative
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Needed a place to stay after overnight from US on our way to Oxford. Easy ride or walk to Paddington Station. The rooms were clean and reasonably modern and somewhat spacious by British standards. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The location is good for London sightseeing. Would definitely stop here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
melbourne
Reviewed July 18, 2009

Stayed here with my small daughter, collapsed in the door after a long-haul flight and were pleasantly surprised. Had a twin bedroom in basement area, good bathroom, neat and clean, great breakfast with plenty of variety on offer and the breakfast room is clean, tidy and sunny. Five minutes walk from Paddington station and close to shops and restaurants. Only tiny thing I would say is that it wasn't probably the most exciting place to stay for a small child - but highly recommended, would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank splash7
washington dc
Reviewed July 11, 2009

How nice it was to find things unchanged after a 2 year hiatus. If anything, the hotel is even cleaner and the staff is even friendlier. We stayed a week, and were pleased to be back in room 100. The ceiling is very high, which gives a feeling of spaciousness to what is a normal-sized double room. The one problem is that when it's hot, it gets very stuffy, even with a fan. The french door only can open a few inches because of a doorstop. Undoubtedly, this is there for reasons of safety. There is a laundry machine, which we found useful, as we'd been traveling for a couple of weeks. There is a good pub across the street from an excellent Indian restaurant around the corner.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business