The Darlington Hyde Park
Athena Hotel(London)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Room Service
2,249 results
All reviewspaddington stationheathrow expresssussex gardenshyde parkbreakfast roomfull english breakfastsingle roomfamily roomgood sizesmall fridgebreakfast stafffive minute walkbreakfast was includedpubs and restaurantscooked breakfastsmall hotelno air conditioning
FilterAll languages
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Reviewed February 9, 2005

My colleague and I have just returned from a one night stay at the Darlington Hotel. I chose it based on the reviews on this site and I was not disappointed.

The hotel is a few minutes walk from Paddington Station and in a nice enough area. It was very late in the evening when we arrived and we wanted to just check in, unpack, and find somewhere to eat.

The staff on reception were very friendly and helpful and even recommended a nearby italian restaurant to us which by the way was excellent.

One good feature of this hotel is security. Upon check in you are issued with a key card which you need to get into your room. However, unlike many other hotels, where anybody can wander in off the street, you need this key card just to get into the foyer - a very good idea!

Each room has a small fridge for putting your own stuff in, a small kettle and sachets of tea and coffee, and most significantly a safe. The safe appears to be very secure and although you need to use your credit card to open the safe, you are not charged for doing this.

The room was a good size, and in a good state of repair. The bathroom had both a bath and a shower and complimentary toiletries. Both were very clean and well looked after.

Breakfast featured a choice of either english or continental (or a combination of both) and was served in the bright and stylish breakfast room). If you opt for the english breakfast, it is cooked to order exactly how you like it, unlike most hotels who operate a buffet system. It is served to you by the wonderful Juan who provided the most exceptional level of service (hello Juan!) and was most friendly as well.

I recommend this hotel to anyone and would most certainly stay there again in the future.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 5, 2005

Just got back from a 3 day visit to London. First visit since I was a kid and that's going back a bit! After reading several reviews on hotels (because I am very choosy!), we decided on this one. It's such a lottery and I prefer to balance the reviews with the price and we managed to negotiate a reasonable (late booking) price - £85 per night for a double room, including breakfast.

The hotel was clean, comfortable and in a good state of repair. I have nothing to compare it with because I haven't stayed anywhere else in London but I have travelled to other European cities so have a fair idea of value etc. To a northerner, £85 a night is quite steep but then again, this IS London I s'pose. Normal rate is about £150 a night and I definately wouldn't pay that! You can stay at the Rubens at the Palace for less than that a night, if you book late that is.

The double room we stayed in was large, if a tad noisy due to the traffic. The hairdryer in the bathroom was rubbish. Blow on the back of your hand as hard as you can and that is about as good as the hairdryer was! Take your own is my advice.

However, the staff were pleasant and polite, the place was warm, clean and comfortable and the breakfasts were very good.

I would stay here again but only at a similar price. It's also handy for the the tube and the bus.

There's also a really nice Persian restaurant around the corner called 'Yas'.

On the whole, a very nice stay indeed. More than likely, we'll be back :0)

• Stayed: January 2005
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2005

My family and I have just returned home to Australia from our holiday to the UK and Europe. We just wanted to share with others the wonderful facilities and great standard of accomodation that the Darlington has to offer. Throughout our five week adventure overseas, the Darlington stands out as one of our favourite places that we stayed in. We stayed there for 8 nights in total and found ourselves calling the place "home." You couldn't ask for a nicer and friendlier staff, the staff at the front desk were always most helpful and cheerful and in particular the breakfast staff (the Spanish man and the Phillipino lady - sorry can't remember their names!!) were lovely, friendly people. This was one of the only places we stayed in overseas that boasted their own laundry at reasonable rates - this was very handy to have. The Paddington station is only down the road and from here you can catch the Heathrow Express - a quick fifteen minute ride away from the airport. The rooms we had were all exceptionally clean, large and well maintained. We can't reccommend the Darlington strongly enough - it is definitley the place to say when in London! Thanks very much to all the staff who made our stay very enjoyable! Five stars plus!

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 22, 2005

Stayed at the Darlington weekend of 21-23 January. Whilst upon arrival I did not feel that this hotel was 4 star, it represented fabulous value for money for a central London hotel. Above all, the staff were incredibly friendly, efficient and helpful. I've stayed in a lot of hotels, and can't remember meeting nicer hotel staff. The cooked breakfast was exactly that - cooked, to order; as opposed to the usual half-warm buffet of greasy bacon and rubber egg, stewing in stainless steel. We came away with a really good feeling about the place and will stay again.

10  Thank FastEddie68
Reviewed January 19, 2005

If you don't need a doorman, swimming pool, gym or a massage and would only like a clean, well-maintained, friendly hotel close to a tube station within a few minutes walk from Hyde Park then you have found it.
We stayed January 19th in a double room for only £90 inc VAT through Londontown which was a bargain especially as a full English Breakfast was included.
The room 202 was facing the front of the hotel which meant we had a bit of road noise which only bothered me as I am always on the alert for funny noises! My wife heard nothing ! Warm, clean,spacious with tea and coffee sachets. Clean, quality towels, super shower, comfortable bed, lots of storage. Fridge, a fan for overheating Americans in the summer, a safe to store all the money you have saved by not staying at The Hilton and a crackly small TV that invites you to switch it off so you can use your time planning exploring all that London has to offer.
Tube connections are easy - you don't have to change lines to get to Piccadilly Circus for the theatre. We used Edgware Rd station but Paddington is nearer only a few minutes walk. Went to see Mamma Mia which is unmissable but that's another story !
Parked our car in Burwood Place NCP car park nearby which cost us £29 for a 24 hour stay....ouch !! Nowhere to load and offload luggage without holding others up so best not to take your car if possible.
Area seems safe enough and multicultural. Edgware Road restaurants and shops open till late (midnight some of them).
Conclusion: You would be crazy to stay anywhere else for West/Central London and you don't mind walking a bit and using the easy public transport connections. The price is great for this part of London but don't tell the hotel management or they might put up their rates.

9  Thank RoscoPColtrane