“Super Hotel for a short break”

The Darlington Hyde Park
Ranked #197 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Oslo, Norway
“Super Hotel for a short break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

They have got a lot of good reviews from many different people... and truly deserved.
A easy, clean and friendly place with great location to Hyde Park, Mayfair, Oxford street, etc.
We had a triple room, and it was very convenient. A lot of space and well equipped.
The room in general is decorated in a modern style, with functional set up and lay out of the room. It was good space and enough closet space for a short break.
The cleanliness of the Hotel in general was very good and the overall condition was impressive.

The thing I want to highlight is the friendly service. The staff we interacted with was very friendly and helpful and always with a smile. Breakfast was typical English, but of very good quality. The waiters poured coffee and were extremely nice. Really impressed with the service level.

I have stayed in many different hotels in this area and this one is far better than any other Hotel I've ever stayed in around Paddington and Bayswater. I will surely come back to this Hotel, as they provide me with exactly what I'm looking for when traveling.

They should be a bit more flexible on the late check out option. It's a bit annoying that check out already at 11:00 and that late check out seems to be out of the questions, even though the Hotel seems not busy at all on a Sunday night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dominika G, Manager at The Darlington Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Robert H, Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts with us on a Trip Advisor website. I was absolutely delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us including our friendly service, cleanliness and location. I was more than happy to read that we will have an opportunity to welcome you again when in London- we look forward to it! Send us an e-mail for the availability and the best rates. With regards to your comment about the late check out I would like to write that it is possible when arranged in advance but of course it is a subject to availability. October was a very busy month for us (even Sundays) and being a 40-bedroom hotel it's not always possible to offer the guests late check out or early check in. Once again I would like to thank you for your kind comments and we all here at The Darlington Hyde Park look forward to welcome you in the near future to make your stay enjoyable. My kindest regards, Dominika Gozdzik, Hotel manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Western Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed at The Darlington for three nights in chilly October. The hotel was easy to walk to from Paddington and we were booked into our room on the ground floor before the stated check in time. The room was spacious and warm, and the bathroom clean. The wi fi worked well. The breakfast was as good a meal as you would eat anywhere, and a full English Breakfast cooked to order was just what you needed to start the day. The staff in the breakfast conservatory greeted you with a smile, nothing was too much trouble for them. The mattress in room fourteen had seen better days but we slept well enough. We consider that the hotel is value for money.

Room Tip: We had a room on the front of the hotel, but as it stands back from the main road we were not distur...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dominika G, Manager at The Darlington Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear mandurahtraveller, I really do appreciate you taking the time to leave your kind review following your stay with us. I was delighted that you liked the hotel and that you overall enjoyed your stay with us. We are looking forward to be welcoming you back in The Darlington Hyde Park Hotel and I hope that all of your future stays with us will be at least as good as your recent.
Regards,
Dominika Gozdzik
Hotel Manager
Vantaa, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed here for three nights with my 10 year old son. We had a standard double room, which was quite small, but clean and comfortable. We had a little bathroom, which was very nice. There was also a fridge and hair-dryer in the room. Our room was number 12, which was on the ground floor facing the street, but it didn´t bother us.
The breakfast was very good anf the staff was very friendly. The location of the hotel is perfect, 5 min walk from Paddington station and Hyde Park.
I can recommend this hotel to everyone travelling to London, it it really worth the money you pay for it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rita S
Dear Rita S, Thank you for taking time to post your lovely review following your recent stay with us. I was absolutely delighted to read that you and your son enjoyed the stay, the breakfast and the amenities provided in the room. Thank you for your recommendation to others, it is greatly appreciated. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of looking after you on a future visit to London and please do not hesitate to contact us at any time if we can be of any further assistance. My kindest regards, Dominika Gozdzik, Hotel Manager
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

We were given a very big and freshly renovated room on the 3rd fl. facing the street. Very good bed(s), comfortable furniture. Big bathroom. Only complaint probably that over all in the hotel floors were quite squeaky, but it didn't bother us too much. Maybe it did bother the guests in the room below us? Breakfast was up to standard in an English hotel this category. Staff very friendly and helpful. Location 5 - 10 minutes walk to Paddington Stn. and the Heathrow Express. Which is expensive but worth the money compared to the hassle by taking the tube. Also 5 - 10 min walk to Hyde Park. Considering hotel rates in London rates at Darlington are very reasonable. And considering size of hotel rooms in London the Darlington room that we stayed in was very big!

Room Tip: The do have rooms in the basement - probably to be avoided?
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mogens48, Thank you very much for leaving your review on Trip Advisor after your recent stay with us! I was delighted to read that you have found your room spacious and comfortable, the breakfast tasty and the location convenient. I have passed all your kind words about the service to my staff. Please do come and visit us again soon. We look forward to meeting and even exceeding your expectations further on your next stay! My best regards, Dominika Gozdzik, Hotel Manager
Lisbon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

The Darlington is a small charming Hotel in a charming neighborhood.
The staff is very helpful and attentive. Breakfast is well served, and you can choose between continental or english breakfast or both (as I was on hollidays I would like they served it on week days until 10am, since until 9.30am is a bit soon).
The room is confortable and big enough. It has a big window and the bahtroom has also a big window (room 204). The wardrobe is good and has a safe inside.
The hotel is well served by public transports. The tube (yellow, green and bakerloo lines) are just 3/5 minutes walking distance from the hotel, as also many bus stops.
You can find a lot of restaurants, delis, pubs, near the Hotel, and it is near to everything (it is in zone 1).

Room Tip: Rooms with view to sussex gardens str.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MariaAssis, Thank you for your kind review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay in The Darlington Hyde Park. I am pleased that you had a pleasant stay with us and you were happy with the amenities provided in the room. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon. Warm regards, Dominika Gozdzik, Hotel Manager
Sydney, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

I booked the Darlington Hyde Park after researching London hotels in Trip Advisor. I was confident that it was a good choice based on reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised by the overall experience here. I assumed London hotels [especially these older buildings] would have small rooms and dated bathrooms. This place is quite modern throughout and the room size was enormous compared to the Paris hotel we had just left [see my review of the Hotel Claude Bernard]. The hot breakfast was great, staff friendly and helpful and the room was clean and comfortable. The location was great. Hop-on Hop-off stop just around the corner, but also not too far to walk to various locations. One day we strolled through Hyde Park to Picadilly Circus in about an hour.
We were here 3 nights with another couple. Their room was a bit smaller but equally clean and comfortable. This hotel is a real bargain and should be on anyone's list who plan on a London visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Greg L, Thank you very much for sharing your comments following your recent visit. I was delighted to read that we have met your expectations and you enjoyed your stay with us including our location, room size and comfort, breakfast and service standards. We look forward to be welcoming you in our hotel in the future and your recommendations to others is greatly appreciated. Contact us directly for the best rates! My kindest regards, Dominika Gozdzik, Hotel Manager
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have stayed many times at the Darlington in twin rooms, which has always been a very enjoyable experience, but this was my second stay in a single room. As usual, I was greeted in a very friendly way. The staff, both at reception and in the restaurant, always make sure you are made to feel welcome and that they provide the best service they can. Although we rarely see them, I must put in a word for the housekeeping staff, who do an amazing job at keeping the hotel spotless and immaculate. The variety of food in the restaurant includes the usual coffee, tea and toast (white, brown or mixed), but also an assortment of different types of bread, cheese, cereals, yougurt, milk and fruit juice, besides English breakfast cooked to order. The single room boasts a great layout, with plenty of space to move around, which doesn't always happen in single rooms in other hotels where I stayed in the past. The bed is quite spacious and comfortable, with two pillows. In front of it, there is a long stand with a flat screen TV (not all hotel designers remember that you generally watch TV in bed), an electric kettle, cup and spoon, sugar, tea and coffee, and plenty of space to put your vanity bag on top. Underneath, there is a fridge, which has complementary water, and again space for you to place any bags that don't fit in the wardrobe, which has plenty of space anyway. The bathroom has a shower box, toiletries replenished each day, and the window provides enough light and it also helps to air the room, which some people like to do. I was a bit wary the first time I stayed in a single room as some hotels just seem to have chosen a cubicle for those who travel solo; however, it was such an amazing experience, as always, to be back at the Darlington. The hotel is within walking distance of Paddington station and Heathrow Express and this is especially important when you have health issues which prevent you from carrying heavy suitcases for a long time. It is central but quiet. There are plenty of restaurants around, small places to eat in the station, as well as a Marks and Spencer in the vicinity, bus stops that take you to Oxford Street and beyond. I can't wait to return to the Darlington!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BessyLisbon_Portugal
Dominika G, Manager at The Darlington Hyde Park, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear BessyLisbon_Portugal,
Thank you for your continued support and for returning time after time. We are more than happy that once again you had a delightful stay with us and appreciated our high level of personal service. Our guest experiences are very important to us and when guests do return time after time it means that we are getting it right. I printed out your fantastic review and shared it with my great team in housekeeping and reception department. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stays in twin rooms and also in our compact single rooms. All the guest reading your review will appreciate your detailed description of a single room! Thank you for that! We also cannot wait to be welcoming you in our hotel again in the near future! Contact us directly for the best rates!
Best regards, Dominika Gozdzik, Hotel Manager