“Lucky to get in during Wimbledon fortnight”

The Darlington Hyde Park
Ranked #221 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Booked the Darlington after reading reviews on Trip Advisor and because it was at a very reasonable price. All the staff were pleasant, welcoming and helpful. We were very pleased with the size and cleanliness of the room and ensuite. The twin beds in Room 300 were very comfortable with the 2 extra pillows found in the wardrobe. We were pleased to have tea and coffee making facilities as well as lots of electric sockets above a desk/dressing table for laptops or hair straighteners. The breakfast was excellent as was the service. We have stayed in hotels/B & B's in this area before and found that the standards vary enormously. This hotel was maintained to a high standard throughout. The free water in the fridge was a nice touch and there was even a laundry room for those doing a lot of travelling. A limited selection of alcoholic drinks was available if you wanted a drink in your room before going out for the evening. At a special rate of £169 for a twin and £105 for a single for our friend, we had real value for money and would stay here whenever we visit London again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dominika G, Manager at The Darlington Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Dawn E, thank you very much for staying with us and for taking time to post such a lovely review! It was a pleasure for me to read how much you did enjoy your stay with us. I was absolutely delighted to read that you found your rooms spacious, clean, with comfortable beds. I have passed your kind words about the service to my staff. Please do contact us directly when next time planning a trip to London for the best rates available. We are looking forward to be welcoming you back in The Darlington Hyde Park Hotel and I hope that all of your future stays with us will be at least as good as your recent! Kindest regards, Dominika Gozdzik, Hotel Manager

There are newer reviews for The Darlington Hyde Park

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We found this hotel on Tripadvisor and got a great deal through Booking.com. Everything from beginning to end was positive and here come some details that will help you make your choice:
LOCATION
A calm and quiet part of town, only 5-7 minutes walk from Paddington station. One hour's ride from LHR with Picadilly/District Line Underground =inexpensive airport transfer! Close to many restaurants and convenience stores. 10 min walk to Hyde Park. 15 min walk to Oxford Street
STAFF
Extremely polite and friendly staff-always smiles on their faces. Dominika and Emilia greeted us every time we entered the hotel. Adrienne in the breakfast room is truly a gem!
ROOM
We had room 104 facing Sussex gardens. Even the standard double room is more spacious than any other I've stayed in in London. Simply furnished and decorated in tones of gold and brown, plain oak furniture. Comfortable, homely, light and airy with 4,5 meter ceilings and large window in front of the bed. Window had black-out draperies. Spotlessly clean carpeting. Ample storage space with room safe, refrigerator, extra electric fan and coffee/tea making facilities. Flat-screen tv , desk and two chairs, foldable luggage rack. Queen size bed with a double duvet, 4 large pillows and reading lights with switches by bedside. Matress a bit firm for me, but suited my husband perfectly. Even though it was across from the elevator, it was quiet and we only heard voices outside the door a few times.
BATHROOM
Large, bright, newly renovated bathroom decorated in white/gray with beautiful tiled walls and anti-slip flooring. Fully openable ceiling-to-floor window with black-out draperies. Bath with shower (lots of hot water and good water pressure), steam exhaust fan (when lights are turned on) wall-sized mirror over sink, hairdryer, white, fluffy hand towels, large bath sheets and bath mat. Tray with all necessary amenities was refilled daily. Spotlessly clean every day!
BREAKFAST
Cheery breakfast room and great service. Really tasty, made to order, full English Breakfast with choice of eggs and white/dark toast. Also, cold buffet with cereals, yoghurts, jams, cheese, buns and pastries fresh fruit and juice. We were always set for the day after our morning meal!

Besides the great location you get so much value for your money compared to much more expensive hotels. (My sister stayed in a much smaller room in the Holiday Inn Kensington for TWICE the price) This, plus the service-minded staff makes The Darlington Hyde Park our choice for future visits!

Room Tip: Room 104 (Standard double) is quiet, large and airy with a fantastic, roomy bathroom!
3  Thank MissDRM

Dear MissDRM, thank you very much for staying with us and for this brilliant detailed review! I was absolutely delighted to learn that you so much enjoyed your stay including the room and bathroom size and facilities, location of the hotel, breakfast we serve and also you have found the staff polite, friendly and welcoming. That is what we are here for and are always happy to read comments like that. Reviews like that motivate us to even harder work! Thank you very much! You also appreciated value for money- contact us directly on info@darlingtonhotel.co.uk for even better rate deals! We all are looking forward to welcoming you in The Darlington Hyde Park Hotel again in the future! Warm regards, Dominika Gozdzik, Hotel Manager

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Clean; comfortable beds; temperature just right; free bottles of water in the fridge; biscuits with coffee & tea; shampoo, bath gel and body lotion in rooms; shower hot and strong - small things but often not provided in other London hotels/guest houses. Over the last 3 years I have travelled to London a lot and stayed in many hotels/guest houses. I found this one on my last visit and will always try to book here. However, I can't afford the full price so always book early to get a bargain. Always quiet. 5 minute walk from Paddington tube station. Plenty of eateries between station and hotel. Staff courteous. Breakfast always plentiful and lots of choice - bacon cooked perfectly and not full of fat/grease. Had triple room in basement - was lovely to all be together in one room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear BertieB8s, thank you for your stay with us and for your fantastic review on Trip Advisor site! It means the world to each and every member of my team. We are proud to offer our guests very clean and affordable accommodation in excellent location and with high level of customer service. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly for the best rates available when planning your next trip. We wish you all the best and see you soon! Kind regards, Dominika Gozdzik, Hotel manager

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We had a great stay, it is very well located for transport to all London attractions via the underground at around 15 minutes max travel to most places. The staff were very helpful, the breakfast was standard, local restaurants were good especially the local Turkish, Greek and Italian cafes. A good local pub called the Monkey puzzle tree with pub grub was just up the street.
Great access to Hyde Park by foot if you are taking in a concert,
We were going to the Garden party at Buckingham Palace and took a private hire cab arranged by the hotel which was a big mistake as it took forever, this was because as a private hire cab it could only use the ordinary traffic lanes but it would have been quicker in a black cab as they use the bus lanes!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear trevorwalsh, I was absolutely delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay in The Darlington Hyde Park Hotel. Paddington is an exciting up-and –coming area of London with some great traditional pubs and eateries, and an excellent travel hub for getting around London including the sightseeing buses. I am glad you managed to experience many of these things during your stay. I was disappointed to hear that your way to Buckingham Palace took longer that you expected but I certainly hope you made it on time and you enjoyed it there. It is up to the guests if they would like us to book a private car or they prefer to flag a black cab in front of the hotel (or to ask a member of front desk staff to do it for them). I hope we will see you again on your next trip to London. All the best and warm regards, Dominika Gozdzik, Hotel Manager

Reviewed June 13, 2013

One of the many hotels in Sussex Gardens, a short walk away from Paddington station. The location is great and there's plenty of public transport around. You're obviously also nearby Hyde Park. I wouldn't call the Paddington area really fancy though. It's not like SOHO, Covent Garden or the likes.

Rooms (double) are decently sized. The bathroom is a bit on the tiny side overall but generally ok. Carpet in my room was a little worn though the room was generally in a good shape. The beds don't feel extremely comfortable but I slept fine. WIFI is free and you've a fridge which you can use and comes with complimentary bottled water when you arrive. The room also comes with a safe. The TV was quite outdated and small.

For breakfast you get continental buffet and can order English breakfast which is then cooked specifically for you (no additional cost). I must say the English breakfast was one of the best I've had in a London hotel.

Staff was pleasant and friendly at all times.

I hope nobody pays the "official" rates cause that would be a bit over the top. The doubles are worth 160£-170£ though and you can get them for less (price for single night business stay and valued in comparison with other hotels).

One issue that they could consider looking into: in the morning when I switched on the light one of the bulbs died. No big issue if it wasn't for the fact that the fuse went along with it. I soon found out a single fuse controls everything (so also the bathroom). This means the electrics might be a bit dodgy. The electrician in my genes (thanks dad) decided that I might as well fix it myself so I used a coin to open up the fusebox and turn things back on. Beats running around in your pyjamas to get help but I guess some people might dislike it more than me if this effectively happens more often.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Dominika G, Manager at The Darlington Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear DirkM, Thank you for leaving your review after your recent stay with us at The Darlington Hyde Park Hotel. We do appreciate all feedback as an opportunity to improve our standards and levels of services. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed the location, the room size, our delicious English breakfast and facilities we provide such as safety box, complimentary Wi-Fi, complimentary water in the fridge on your arrival. It is our priority to give the guests the best experience possible when staying with us, I shared your comments and suggestions with all my staff members from restaurant and front desk to housekeeping and maintenance departments. We hope to welcome you in our hotel again when you travel to London and please do not hesitate to contact us directly for the best prices available. Warm regards, Dominika Gozdzik, Hotel Manager

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We are an elderly couple who stayed here June 1-8, 2013.
It was a great location, close to Paddington Station.
Lots of good pubs within walking distance. Great service
from the hotel. The breakfast included hot and cold items
and everything was delicious. It also had washing facilities.
The hotel provided the laundry soap. The beds were extra-firm.
They have small bottles of wine available for purchase as they have
no bar. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

I was very happy to see that you took time to leave such a lovely review after your stay at The Darlington Hyde Park Hotel. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay in general and all the extra touches we provide. Your recommendation is very much appreciated and we can’t wait to welcome you on your next visit to London. All the best and kind regards, Dominika Gozdzik, Hotel Manager

Reviewed June 13, 2013

The Darlington, five minutes from Paddington station, is in an area with many cheap hotels of dubious quality. But this hotel is well run in every department, friendly, and equipped with everything a traveller would need. We stayed in a suite - good size bedroom, windows you can open, with comfortable bed, decent sitting room with work table, sofas, fridge with complimentary Hildon mineral waters, ample clothes storage, bathrobes, slippers, practical bathroom with tub and shower over, just like the Dorchester but without the bling, at a quarter of the price. It included a full English breakfast served by cheerful multinational ladies in the bright and welcoming "veranda" room in the basement. What a find!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much Witshub for taking time to write a review after your stay in The Darlington Hyde Park. I was delighted to read that we met your expectations and you were happy with the size of the room, the breakfast and the service throughout your stay with us. I shared your comments with my brilliant team. We hope to welcome you back for many more occasions in the future. Kind regards, Dominika Gozdzik, Hotel Manager